Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Copyright of Doom comic?

I would like to know who's holding the copyright to the Doom comics, as I was planning in releasing and hosting some translated versions of our favourite comic, perhaps including a translated dramatic rendition ;-)

So, any help/guidance/offers? :-p

BTW, the languages I can provide (acceptable) translations are Greek and Italian, and maaaaybe French :-)

Maes said:
I would like to know who's holding the copyright to the Doom comics,

id Software, by the look of the cover.

The copyright notice on page 1 states:

DOOM<sup>TM</sup> Vol. 1 No. 1, May, 1996. Copyright 1996 GT Interactive Software. All Rights Reserved.

So, I assume Doomworld itself (and some other sites) asked for permission from GT Interactive themselves in order to host the comics, or are they in some sort of "fair use" status?

GT Interactive is defunct. I'm pretty sure Doomworld hosts it in a "fair use" way, since we're talking about something that's out of print and owned by a dead company. Though it also has the id logo, DOOM's TMed logo, and DOOM-based content, so if anyone is in charge of it, that would be id.

GT Interactive was purchased by Infogrames Inc., which then became Atari Inc. I have no idea what copyrights carried over from the purchase and subsequent renaming, but it is possible that some did.