Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr8

price comparisons about xp stuffs

I just want to know how much are Windows XP & Office XP in USA.

In France, here are the prices (all taxes included)...
------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP family = 260$ (1890F)
Windows XP family Update = 122$ (890F)

Windows XP pro = 404$ (2945F)
Windows XP pro Update = 270$ (1960F)
Office XP Standard = 685$ (4990F)
Office XP Standard Update = 330$ (2400F)

Office XP Pro = 835$ (6100F)
Office XP Pro Update = 411$ (3000F)
Pretty XPensive aren't they ??? ;P

Pretty XPensive aren't they ??? ;P

Especially considering this is what should have been rightfully ours when we first purchased windows (minus a few pretty features).

Yeah, Bill Gates could spare some pocket change and drop the XP prices to $49 for Home and $69 for Pro, and give it for free to those who were ripped off by buying 98/ME.

49 bucks is still a little too much. I'd buy it if dos support was better for retro games like the classic doom 2, which refuses to run on my windows 98 system.

Doom should be its own operating system... Like a 3d perspective of running through your hard drive shooting files to deleate them and such. Wow, that was a little random...

49 bucks is still a little too much. I'd buy it if dos support was better for retro games like the classic doom 2, which refuses to run on my windows 98 system.

Doom should be its own operating system... Like a 3d perspective of running through your hard drive shooting files to deleate them and such. Wow, that was a little random...

Too much? It's an operating system, not a computer game that you play through once and pitch into a CD stack. The amount of effort to develop a full operating system as compared to a $49 game is enormous. If I had written something like Windows, and then made revolutionary leaps such as from 9x to NT, I would NOT sell it for a measly $49. Win2K took five solid years of development effort from the NT4 base for crying out loud.

Linux distro companies don't charge you much more than $50 for their boxed copies because, guess what, ... they weren't the ones developing it! At most they had a small team of people writing (shoddy) install scripts to stick on a CD. By that comparison of effort, Debian, which is entirely non-profit by the way, could have charged $3000 for a single copy of the Debian GNU/Linux distro, based simply on the amount of quality effort they put into it as compared to *cough* Mandrake. The ones who really develop Linux are largely already subsidized by YOUR dollars, from corporations who donate to free software foundations with profits made from you, from research grants by the government drawn from your tax dollars, etc. Nobody writes software for free--you get to pay the price one way or another.

And I'd buy it if it was free and had DOS support.

DOOM not running on Win98? That's illogical, especially considering that Win98 has pure DOS.

Too much? It's an operating system, not a computer game that you play through once and pitch into a CD stack. The amount of effort to develop a full operating system as compared to a $49 game is enormous

I agree that an OS should cost more than a video game, but you can't tell me that Microsoft isn't gouging its customers. They hold a monopoly for crying out loud.

By the way, any game that is played through once and tossed in a pile... heh, isn't a very good game.

I don't spit on Microsoft because they've made good stuffs,
but I just wonder when the prices elevation will stop...

I think their products become more and more unreachable for "little" consumers we are
(students for many of us).
Sacrifice ? Yes it is.
Last year, I bought Win2k Pro (full version) for "only" 1100F (150$).
When I see the price this year, it makes me fell on my ass...

Doom2 won't run on your Win98-powered comp? UDoom and Doom2 (when I had it) runs (in Doom2's case, RAN) fine on my comp which is Win98 powered. Hmm.

Whoa....now THERE'S an idea...hehehehe......

Whoa....now THERE'S an idea...hehehehe......

and it'll probabily stay that way

Yes, sadly.

probabily

i can't spell

Heh.

Doom should be its own operating system... Like a 3d perspective of running through your hard drive shooting files to deleate them and such.

There is a program for Linux, based on Doom source code, that lets you monitor your processes (Kinda like the Task Manager in Windows), and, if you want, kill them. Each process is a Doom monster. The process numbers are shown in front of them. If the monster dies, the associated process is also terminated.

Of course, if you kill a process you didn't really want to kill, your computer might crash. Or the processes can kill each other, with the same consequences. But it still nice to have that thingie instead of the boring 'kill' command :)

By the way, any game that is played through once and tossed in a pile... heh, isn't a very good game.

*Koff*serious sam*Koff*

There was a deal at my school last fall where Microsoft sold a lot of their stuff directly to the students. Price: $8 per CD. I'm wondering if they're planning on doing that again. I got the entirety of Office 2k for about $40, and I think I got a Win2k CD as well (haven't done a damn thing with it, tho.) And it's perfectly legal, no wareing or anything (unless M$ is warezing its own products... hell, Gates has so much money he uses Ben Franklin bills in the toilet.)

There was a deal at my school last fall where Microsoft sold a lot of their stuff directly to the students. Price: $8 per CD.

That, AFAIK, is official Microsoft software distribution policy that started fairly recently, and they haven't said anything about stopping the practice.

Of course, I got my copy of VC++ 6 at the "educational pricing" of $99, but at the time that was a steal too.

I'm also into running programs.

From what I've understood, many linux users consider this to be just a nother reason for using linux instead of M$ crap. Unfortunately I'm still running 95(!!)... I have installed linux though but it's not set up correctly yet.

Unfortunately I'm still running 95(!!)...

UNfortunately?!? What I wouldn't give for a working install of Win95 on this PC...

UNfortunately?!? What I wouldn't give for a working install of Win95 on this PC...

Oh, please...

Win95 has 0 advantages over Win98. And don't tell me it crashes less or has less compatibility problems, because you're wrong.

Oh, please...

Win95 has 0 advantages over Win98.

Except that it's WAY faster, much more stable for extended operation (as well as standard operation), I've never had these compatibility issues (although I'm sure it would have problems with recent hardware). I don't care what you think, I'll enjoy my performance and stability increases all by myself. You can think all you want; it won't change how much better this PC runs.

HAHAHAHA millenium edition is best! wait a minute...this is freakin' 98!!!! it suxx0rs!

I'm also into running programs.

From what I've understood, many linux users consider this to be just a nother reason for using linux instead of M$ crap. Unfortunately I'm still running 95(!!)... I have installed linux though but it's not set up correctly yet.

Uh huh. Can't run programs without it being properly set-up. :)