Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remembert

RTC-3057 rocks! Or so I hear. It doesn't work for me.

When I drag 3057hub1.wad onto Zdoom.exe, with version 2.1.7, it instantly crashes with the message:

Tried to register class 'pistol' more than once.

Is there a different version of Zdoom I can download somewhere that'll work? Is there a way I can fix it on this version? Is this forum an utterly wrong place to put a question like this?

To fix this you have to open the WAD with XWE or another WAD editor, search for the lump DECORATE and change the word 'pistol' into something else (e.g 'pistol_') After that it should work.

Yeah, using an old version with its own share of bugs is certainly a solution...

How about fixing the WAD in the archives?

oh here we go again with graf stating how 'illegal' wads are for breaking new zdooms as if it's an absolute requirement to make every wad in the archive work for 2.1.x or gzdoom

Listen to DooMAD!

Graf Zahl said:

Yeah, using an old version with its own share of bugs is certainly a solution...

Sarcasm aside, yes, it certainly is. He asked if there was a version of ZDoom that could play the WAD and there is. Just because you have some sort of demented aversion to it, that doesn't make it any less of a valid solution to his problem.

Graf Zahl said:

So giving him advice how to make it work with the latest version is wrong?

Strange logic...

I don't recall saying your method was wrong. You'll notice my first post began with the word OR. This signifies that it's an alternative solution which can also be considered. Not everything in life is 1 or 0.

Um, wouldnt it be easier for everyone to just output a warning?
For example, "class pistol is superseeded with class pistol in line xx, file/lump DECORATE"

Nice to know that ZDoom isn't even backward compatible. And that Graf hasn't lost his sense of humor. Blaming the WAD when a port can't maintain compatibility with it. Brilliant.

I agree with the masses on this... this is really inexcusable for ZDoom. ZDoom has always made an attempt to ensure vanilla/boom/backwards compatibility where possible... this seems like a total botch of that attempt.

It was caused by making the DECORATE parser case insensitive which it should've been in the first place (I've had more than one headache caused by the case sensitive parser). Up until one of the 2.1 versions (I can't remember which) Pistol (The actual Doom pistol) and pistol (The pistol pickup used by RTC were actually treated as different actor names.

Thanks DooMad, I downloaded 63a and it seems to work. Come to think of it, Massmouth 2 also glitched up for me on a new version of ZDoom, so I'll keep this around. As if I didn't have enough source ports already.

Graf Zahl said:

To fix this you have to open the WAD with XWE or another WAD editor, search for the lump DECORATE and change the word 'pistol' into something else (e.g 'pistol_') After that it should work.

Holy cheese, man! That's a lot to learn just to play a game. Killing stuff is the full extent of the my Dooming career; the mapping urge never really struck me. It seems a little late to start now anyway.

remembert said:

It seems a little late to start now anyway.

NO WAY MAN! It's never too late to start. I'm always glad when new mappers to get started.

Even if you have no intention of creating your own maps, it is worth well learning how to use the basic functions of a lump editor (e.g. XWE) and a map editor (e.g. DB or WA). This doesn't take long (just install them and play around for a little while and explore their menus) and will come in very handy in all sorts of ways.

TheDarkArchon said:

It was caused by making the DECORATE parser case insensitive which it should've been in the first place (I've had more than one headache caused by the case sensitive parser). Up until one of the 2.1 versions (I can't remember which) Pistol (The actual Doom pistol) and pistol (The pistol pickup used by RTC were actually treated as different actor names.

Indeed. Unfortunately, when making design decisions like this one there will always be projects that get broken. So far there are 2 I know of (this and LWM's Wolfen - but that doesn't fully work anymore because it relies on a bug in older ZDooms)

However, in this case the fix is utterly trivial and IMO the WAD should be updated.

Th0r said:

NO WAY MAN! It's never too late to start. I'm always glad when new mappers to get started.

As shown by your post in this thread.

Scuba Steve said:

I agree with the masses on this... this is really inexcusable for ZDoom.

Only for that, now Action DOOM will be the next! :-/

Scuba Steve said:

I agree with the masses on this... this is really inexcusable for ZDoom. ZDoom has always made an attempt to ensure vanilla/boom/backwards compatibility where possible... this seems like a total botch of that attempt.

Can't you still download an older version of Zdoom from the website? 1.22 I think?

More than one version of a port is possible in the same zdoom folder. For example if one were to have Zdoom63 and wished to install a newer version, say it is 2.1, all that needs to be done is rename the old zdoom.wad/pak file to zdoom63.wad/pak and the zdoom.exe to zdoom63.exe. From here the newer 2.1 version can be installed and ran. If RTC wants to be run by the user, then follow the same process renaming the new 2.1 files the same way the 63 files were renamed. Then return the 63 files back to their old names and run RTC. It can be a pain if you dont like to do this sort of thing...

arf... maybe, unless there is a copy of the IWAD in each folder or drag the unused version to a temporary folder and drag the desired version out of its folder thus eliminating extra IWAD files.