Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all--I know nobody wants to see this, but can someone please tell me how to run Master Levels on Windows XP? Is there some way to run it out of DOS? Like through Doomsday or Doom95?

hit me if I'm wrong,but as far as I know,the master levels are just a collection of pwads for doom 2,so they should run with every doom sourceport(maybe except opengl renderers,if there are maps which abuse the software renderer).

If you mean installing the master levels,it should be enough to run the installer with dosbox and then use the extracted wad files with your sourceport of choice.

I'm not especially techo-saavvy... does that mean I could use Doomsday, Dickstart, Doom95? Because I tried using Doom95, and I can get the new wads to show up in the CUSTOM WAD FILE BOX, but down below it still only lists the regular levels for DOOM II, i.e. Level 1-31, Wolfenstein, Tricks and Traps, etc. My only choices for "game wad file" are DOOM II and NONE.

And with KickStart, under the "Wads" tab, I added the new levels, but it won't play them there either, it only Plays the default Doom II, or Final Doom, levels.

Darunia said:
Because I tried using Doom95, and I can get the new wads to show up in the CUSTOM WAD FILE BOX, but down below it still only lists the regular levels for DOOM II, i.e. Level 1-31, Wolfenstein, Tricks and Traps, etc. My only choices for "game wad file" are DOOM II and NONE.

You have to select one of the custom wads, and also select the level number it replaces (check in the text file for the wad). Doom95 only knows the names of the original maps; if you add a PWAD it keeps calling each level by the standard names (Entryway, Underhalls, etc.)

SUCCESS!

Thanks a lot guys... I was able to get it to run in Doom95. However, Doom95 doesnt give me mouse support, and KickStart has all the nice graphics enhancements... Is there a way to get it to run in KickStart? Or, for that matter, can I link all 20 levels to run together in succession, in KickStart?

Darunia said:
Is there a way to get it to run in KickStart?

There should be, though I'm not proficient with that launcher. This Doomsday FAQ should be of help.

Or, for that matter, can I link all 20 levels to run together in succession, in KickStart?

No, because many of the maps are replacements for the same levels (such as Map01).

One could change the level numbers in a wad editor, but it's not really worth it, as the maps weren't meant to be played in succession, for the most part.

Ah man, I'm enjoying these new-found Doom levels. Its been years since I saw fresh Doom! Has anyone else here been familiarized with these levels? I'm through the first three, ATTACK, DARK TOWER and BLOODSEA... I found Attack to be a great, tidy little level, with good, concentric design. DARK TOWER, however, I loathed--it was so dark and tedious. I give it kudos for exceptionally clever lay out---its really cool how the author tried to get around the "no-overlapping sectors" rule, in assembling a multi-floor tower-themed level. However, of the three, BLOODSEA was by far the greatest---an awesome little castle level, with crisp, logical level design, and some really nice architectural achievements--I liked the library, and how well-proportionately the whole thing flowed. It was exceptionally well crafted.

Darunia said:

Ah man, I'm enjoying these new-found Doom levels. Its been years since I saw fresh Doom! Has anyone else here been familiarized with these levels?

Sure, they are well-known maps. But, and apologies if this is a silly question, are you aware that there are thousands of user-created levels for Doom, many of them generally considered at least as good or (far) better than the Master Levels? Searching the forums for things like "favorite megawads", "favorite maps", etc. should locate recommendations, while there are also some wad review sites, etc. A database for the main archive (with links to the files) is here (though there is bad along with the good).

I mention this because I would be surprised if someone who had played, say, Alien Vendetta or Kama Sutra, would get too excited about the Master Levels, good though they are.

BTW, Ledmeister's site also has a lot of info on the Master Levels, including demos, walkthroughs and graphical maps.

I was aware that there are many other fan-made levels out there, but other than the official ID wads, I've never played any... thus my excitement for Master Levels. How difficult is it to play these other fan levels, do I have to replace them level-for-level into Doom II like these master levels, or do they run as a separate entity? Can they be run through KickStart?

Darunia said:

do I have to replace them level-for-level into Doom II like these master levels, or do they run as a separate entity? Can they be run through KickStart?

They're the exact same type of file. Most Doom wads replace an existing map slot (lump), called ExMy or MAPxy and accessed with the IDCLEVxy cheat or the -WARP command-line parameter (usage: -warp x y (doom1) or -warp mapnumber (doom2)). Doom2 maps (MAPxy) show as "Level" in the automap, but most people call them MAP01, MAP02 etc.

There are also ZDoom- or other port-based maps with unique names. If you find any, just load the file like any other. At a console (usually), type MAP mapname. So if a map is called SUPERSEC and not MAP32, start the game on a desired skill level and type MAP SUPERSEC at the console. I'm not sure the -warp parameter works here everywhere. You can check names by using an utility called XWE, especially because hidden levels do exist, and they're intentionally left unmentioned in some text files. If you use XWE, don't look at the lump contents before you play the whole wads.

check out 10 years of doom (on this site) as well as the '04 '05 '06 cacowards for some recommendations on pwads.

I got Master Levels running by just dragging whatever .wad I wanted to play into Gzdoom (you have to have two windows open, of course). The CD should let you do that without any read-only issues.