Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

27 ways to die

kristus said:

My brother managed to kill himself using the plasmagun once. It was hilarious. :D

i wanna see that

printz said:

Not dead? But a player becomes the zombie by dying after a "voodoo" player doll has been "touched" (hurt but not killed).

No, a zombie player isn't dead. He can run around, press switches, and is still targeted by monsters that were targeting him before his zombification. He can also be killed. A zombie player can pick up health.

None of these things are true of dead players, and it would be a strange definition of "dead" that included them. Also reflect on the fact that if he picks up health and then exits the map (with health still showing as >0%), he is then a full normal Doom marine at the start of the next map, still carrying all his weapons and armour.

GGG said:

If a blast from a cyb-rocket knocks you into that sector and it clearly shows the death sequence, you're dead, and you simply move to the next level with a pistol start.

Well, thats if it KNOCKS you in the room, but if you ARE in the room then you'll have 1% depending, can't be pistol start if already in room.

Janitor said:

i wanna see that

OK, I recorded a 1-player coop demo where I kill myself with the plasma rifle.

Doom2 map01; use the following to play it back:
prboom-plus selfplas.lmp -solo-net

selfplas.zip

Grazza said:
OK, I recorded a 1-player coop demo where I kill myself with the plasma rifle.

Thanks to your Coop partner, the Imp!

Lol, that was the bomb. What would happen if you could teleport ahead of or outrun your own projectyles without dying first (that obviously changes projectyle ownership)? I only know that your own rockets don't explode on impact...

RoneKyakone said:

Yeah, those 28 are the only ones I can think of. Unless you consider the three damaging floors to be different

Then, there are also different types of crushers.

Maes said:

Lol, that was the bomb. What would happen if you could teleport ahead of or outrun your own projectyles without dying first (that obviously changes projectyle ownership)? I only know that your own rockets don't explode on impact...

I've tried this some years ago. They will just travel through you.

There's also the explosions generated by the boss brain when it dies. That would be number 29, I guess.

EDIT: Oh, shit, Grazza got that one already. NM.

I updated the list with:

28 - cacodemon's bite
29 - exploding Boss-Head

Lorenzo

DJShrimpy said:
How about getting telefragged from the MAP30 skull cubes?

If a Hell knight's fireball is counted as a different attack than a Baron of hell's, I don't see why a cube telefrag wouldn't be counted as different than a player telefrag, but it seems that Lorenzo meant a cube telefrag in the first place since he's not listing any of the MultiPlayer deaths noted on the thread. Maybe a distinction could be made between Map30 monster telefrags and Map30 cube telefrags (for Map30 replacements that allow monsters to teleport).

Well if we say an Imp scratch is different from a Hellknight scratch we might as well say that the skull cube telefrag is different because it uses a different sprite.

In that case, "instant death" linedefs should be counted as a distinct form of telefragging, where you're basically telefragging yourself (even if you don't know it, that's the point of insta-death traps).

@Mistral_Daemon: which WAD are the quotes in your sig from?

DJShrimpy said:

Well if we say an Imp scratch is different from a Hellknight scratch we might as well say that the skull cube telefrag is different because it uses a different sprite.

They may be diff sprites, but it's clearly the same since most demons slash and throws balls of destruction at you clearly the same. About the Cube TeleFrag: Player vs Player - Player Telefrag, Monster vs Player - Monster Telefrag, Cube Telefrag is on it's own since it is shot from a monster, but yet, can't hit that monster with out a platform to rise and hit it.

@ Maes: Made them up.

myk said:

Not anything; older versions of ZDoom used the claw sound for the attack, which I think was worse.

I think I'm just imagining this but didn't the caco bite have the generic claw sound in SNES Doom? And also a boom for it's fireball?