Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Motion sickness in Doom (or other FPS)

Ahh I never ever have gotten ill from playing a game (motion or sickness or otherwise). EVER. Even old games like Wolf 3D and Catacombs (I completed Catacombs shareware in one-sitting) I can play for ages and ages and not feel a thing. I have been playing computer games (Doom was my first) since I was like 5 years old though so I think my body just adapted at such a young age ;)

Some people tend to get sick playing a low-res game like vanilla Doom. I tried playiing in zdoom (and other ports), and it just removed any motion sickness I had with this game.

Also, consider mouse sensitivity - too loose and you're set to get dizzy, too tight and you find yourself struggling with the game. Find your balance, and stick to it.

As for other games, a low fps count (that's frames per sec) contributes a lot for some of my motion sickness issues (like, playing Doom 3 on a 256mb PC. lolz).

I've never experienced motion sickness from a video game, or riding in a car while reading or playing a game boy. I started playing videogames when I was about 5, and first person shooters when I was around 7, so I might be used to them. The only time I've felt like vomiting due to motion is when I'm on a floating pier or on a boat. It probably has something to do with my fear of water and drowning.

I have never experienced motion sickness, either. My grandpa has motion sickness, though, so he can't watch me play any of my games, or he'll get sick. I'll get sick if I spin around in a spinning chair, but I don't know if that qualifies.

I've been playing the orignal version of Paul Corfiatis' Twilight Zone mod, and it's weird that 7 years after originally playing it without getting motion sickness, now I get butterfiles in my stomach after dropping down from high ledges to discover some secrets. Funky.

The only game that ever made me feel anything at all was Super Mario Sunshine.

EXCEPT!

When I played Doom on my VR glasses head TV display thingy (and what a stupid purchase that was), I could make myself feel sick by bending my neck down as I walked toward a ledge in the game.

i have a long history of car sickness and can get it quite easily, but i've never ever felt motion sickness from games.

I never get motion sickness when playing Doom although I got dizzy when playing the Alphas and Pre-release versions of Doom. I also get motion sickness when playing Wolfenstein and similar games

I've never got motion sickness from Doom, or wolf for that matter. I don't understand how it could occur either really, as visually its not really that different from watching tv. I have gotten carsick before, from playing a Gameboy (this was back in the day) on a very windy road. Thats the only time any such thing has ever happened to me. Neways.

lol..... god.... i dont get motion sick.
I remember when doom first came out and i started playing it, my parents were there in the room watching it..... after a few minutes they left because they got sick to their stomachs.

actually i think it was any fps they get sick to

I've never gotten motion sickness from video games, but certain games do make me feel ill at times.

Doom 64 gives me headaches unless I turn the brightness on the TV up (the default brightness level is way too dark).

The NES lightgun zapper gives me headaches and makes me feel sick (the screen flashes white everytime you shoot)--I can't stand playing a NES lightgun game for more than a minute or two, and even less if the game requires constant fire. Strobe-like light patterns bother me in general--I can't watch music videos that have strobe like lighting without feeling blah either, and there are some FPS levels that have lighting like that in hallways/rooms that mess with me too.

I do get motion sickness on the merry-go-round at the park though--I hate that thing, but my nieces love it.

I, myself, never go motion sickness or anything, but everytime I used to play Quake 2 on the Playstation with my friends, they would always say they got a headache when they played it, and I'm like "How?" because I never got one.

Also I used to play Wipeout (the first one) on the Playstation and my friends would get dizzy and we would have to stop once again, it was so annoying.

I sorta lean to the left and right as I zip around in doom, but I've never gotten sick from any game. Part of it may be related to the fact that I have been playing doom for 10 years now (since I was 5 ^_^).

Zorro said:
I sorta lean to the left and right as I zip around in doom,

Heh, I recall that when I was a kid, I'd sway around a lot when playing video games...

Well, the only time I fealt slightly sick is being sick while playing some random guys wad and all the textures swirl around and then your spinning same time as the sky is Horizonized.. but that happens low if I'm not sick.

Zorro said:

I sorta lean to the left and right as I zip around in doom, but I've never gotten sick from any game. Part of it may be related to the fact that I have been playing doom for 10 years now (since I was 5 ^_^).

Yeah my older brother used to play Magic Carpet back in the day and he'd sway from side to side as he turned left and right ;)

I've only ever got really Ill from playing Crash Bandicoot 2. I remember i was off school with the flu and tryed playing a snow level. The sheer amount of white casused me to pass out.
That was unpleasent.

Some .wads with lots of brown metal textures, like TNT or Hell Revealed can make me feel unwell.

It's funny how your brain can get used to the shit you play sometimes.
Doom source ports would get me motion sicknessed sometimes. I remember I played for the first time Legacy or Zdoom making me dizzy so that I have to stop. I especially liked Zdoom because of it's increased speed than the original 35fps, that made the action preety fast and crazy then, but that same fast speed made me motion sicknessed because I was used to the old speed. I later liked Zdoom so much that I played and played and played and now I have no problems with it. Though something like GZdoom either with mouse or keyboard still makes me dizzy and I had a hard time trying to finish Phocas Island 2 that needed this engine.

I also remember something similar with Quake. It was so smoothly running and fast action on my Pentium that really had the same bad effect. It needed several plays and later I got used to it that I no more got motion sicknessed. Also, I remember my parents watching me playing it and getting dizzy at 5 minutes and wondering how bad this is for my own brain (we even had an argument later and wanted me to stop playing this game). The funny thing is that I later stopped playing quake and return to doom for several years. And now when I try to play Quake again I get the same sickness effect. It's like my brain lost it's ability again to adapt to the Quake motion because of years of not playing it. Crazy!

Also, I was reading somewhere in some research they did that people who don't get motion sickness in games also don't get it in car/boat cases. But some posts here show that this isn't entirely true. I like how diverse the effect still is for every unique person out there.

I've never been motionsick from Doom or any game.

I got seasick once, and I used to get sick from riding a car and reading comics at the same time, but that's a thing of the past.

Well to the guy (girl? sorry :P) two posts above me, the argument with your parents I guess could be defeated easily.

People watching other people play a game like Doom will get motion sickness faster than the person who is playing the game. The player knows what the screen will do (like he wants to turn left, the screen will turn left), yet people watching don't have that pleasure, so when the person they are watching turns left, its sudden and the brain gets caught off guard (particularly if your moving forward before turning left, it will still think your moving forward).

It's the fact that the spectators cannot control whats going to happen means they get caught off guard. I guess its sorta like the difference between spinning around with your eyes open and spinning around with your eyes shut.

The only time I get any sort of "feeling" from playing a videogame is when I fall from tall ledges or inside deep pits in Doom, and then only in ports with uncapped FPS and freelook. The feeling is similar to the one you I usually get when "falling" in a dream and waking just before making contact with the ground.

yomoneyboat said:

To quote Ricky Ricardo: "This is so ree-dee-coo-lus!"
Why would we ever need such a resolution?

I had once read the human eye would be able to distinguish "edgy" diagonals due to insufficient resolution even at 10000 horizontal lines resolution, so they must have a point in investing all that money in R&D for such displays.

Only game to ever make me feel sick is Doom. Not from actually playing it but watching demos. I used to be able to watch demos with vanilla exe. But watching demos now in Zdoom @ 1680X1050 in GL mode just makes me wanna hurl.

POTGIESSER said:
But watching demos now in Zdoom @ 1680X1050 in GL mode just makes me wanna hurl.

This could be due to the varying framerate. If you lower the resolution or (if fps is 35 or more) cap the fps at 35, the effect might well go away.

myk said:

This could be due to the varying framerate. If you lower the resolution or (if fps is 35 or more) cap the fps at 35, the effect might well go away.

You can also try sitting farther back from the monitor. The more still objects in your field of vision, the less your brain is tricked into thinking you're moving.