Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

DOOM LAN

how exactly to i set up a doom game on a LAN between 2 computers. I got the network cards installed and the drivers are running correctly. I have had no luck getting doom to connect. I am not a networking perszon so please help me out. Also all the hardware is correctly set up and working, i have had it tested but i dont know how to set it up on the OS. also I have IPX drivers install on both computers. One is win98 and the other is DOS6.22\win3.11

I'm not familiar with how protocols are added for Win 3.11. Are you trying to connect from the Win98 computer to the other while it is in Dos? Are you sure you are loading the neccessary network drivers/tsrs in config.sys and/or autoexec.bat on the Dos computer?

Why on Earth would anyone want to even try playing anything except Solitaire and Minesweeper under Win3.11? Why have some big piece of poopoo eating up memory and resources in the background, when you can run the game from a clean dos prompt?

Anyway...

What happens when you run ipxsetup.exe (or dm.exe or whatever) on the two comps? They start looking for nodes, but won't find any?

Check that you have the same frame type specified in net.cfg on the dos box and in ipx/spx compatible protocol properties on the win98 box. I guess I'd recommend Ethernet_802.3. Also check that the other stuff in net.cfg looks ok, most importantly the PORT, INT and DMA parameters.

You do initialize the network drivers on the dos box like follows, right?

lsl.com
3c5x9.com
ipxodi.com

(If my memory serves me right, 3c5x9.com is what I used with my ISA 3Com Etherlink III 10 MBit cards, sometime way back).

You do have network cables of the proper type set up correctly, don't you? Like if you're using coaxial cables (bnc), you do have terminated T-shaped connectors at both ends, etc...?

I really hope you'll get it working.

N.C., dos prompt addict since 1988.

i know, first it is a older system 486. sercond i have been running it from clean DOS. The drivers are i belived loaded. yes they do look for the nodes. the 486 does not find it but computer 2 does. So i am guessing the error is in the older system. Anyway i will have to toy with it tonight

i really think the error is in the 486 system. i am useing a RJ45 cable that goes to a hub and then to the other computer. the 2nd computer finds a node but the first dosen't(486)