Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Obsidian said:

Needs more FIREBLU.

I think that can be arranged. Still trying to get the basic layout sorted before going completely to town with the visuals.

Oh and Mrthejoshmon, nice pics, you have come a long way :)

cannonball said:

He really is a great mapper :)

Hurricyclone said:

Red and blue pool

I love this, it looks brilliant.

cannonball said:

Meanwhile I've literally gone mental and made something very garish for the finale of my E4 episode wad.

You say garish, I say unique. The use of textures here is just really appealing to my eyes in these shots, I really like how the red SHAWN style texture (I have always seen that texture as a red SHAWN variant myself) sticks out amongst all the others in these shots (I don't know why, I just like it).

Thanks, I probably would have never improved if you didn't link me to NOVA back when I was a complete and utter newbie in a thread where I complained about my own terribleness (So thanks for that :P).

dobu gabu maru said:

I like the look of a lot of your shots mrthejoshmon, you've come a long way from where you've started. The green brick + pipes shot is especially pleasing.

Thanks :D, I came across the green with pipes look when I was messing about with a little secret I am working on, it is vanilla compatible and called ST56 (It was an old project of mine I made for Boom that was so under detailed it could run in vanilla, so I swapped it for Doom format and got to testing and making it for Chocolate Doom). I don't think any screens exist of it and that is for a reason.

With it being vanilla, I was looking into ways of making all these flat textures I was using to have some detail but be super simple, a 16 wide sector going into green walls with pipes was a great effect so I stuck with it... Wow that got off track :/

doomguy93 said:

He really is a great mapper :)

Thanks man! (A bit off topic, but I tried the DMR server earlier but nobody was on it, shame really).

-

It's weird, the more I map, the better at Doom I get and I then have to make the maps harder/give them more enemies/more higher tier enemies to challenge myself, I guess it helps me make difficulty increases in the megawad:

Also, MAP14 of TPBM has only 1 item, heh.

Obsidian said:

Needs more FIREBLU.

The DOOM version of "Needs more cowbell"? ... Certainly the ugliest texture in most cases, and so badly animated, but if the whole level is a red/blue disaster, well, yes, it may match perfectly. X-P

LigH said:

The DOOM version of "Needs more cowbell"? ... Certainly the ugliest texture in most cases, and so badly animated, but if the whole level is a red/blue disaster, well, yes, it may match perfectly. X-P

I blame Tarnsman.

A couple of maps made by Doomkid for Deathmatch Revival 2014 (DMR_2014.wad)

By the way, DMR has been uploaded to /idgames and it is currently under DOOM2/Deathmatch/Ports/megawads. It will show up in the DW listing sometime later this week.

(Mario Kart 64 Easter Egg DM level)
http://i.imgur.com/RRFAAjC.png

http://i.imgur.com/b9sTMed.png
*IMAGES TOO BIG TO POST IN IMG TAGS - READ THE FAQ*

@mrthejoshmon, just copy the zds link and post it in the zdaemon public IRC. That's a good way to get people to join in on the server.

LigH said:

Certainly the ugliest texture in most cases

FIREBLU is the best texture in Doom, not only is it beautiful and not ugly, but it is totally usable as a structural texture.

And on that note..A MAP02 in progress...

Ok, now seriously

EDIT: Didn't really notice how flat the left ceiling is until now ._.

Making decimated streets with Doom 2 stock textures is harder than it looks

So how does one make a good looking collapsed building? (Those were bombed out buildings)

joe-ilya said:

What do you mean quality? Gameplay or detail?

Detail of course, a single pic doesn't tell much about gameplay.

Obsidian said:

Needs more FIREBLU.

I kinda wish more maps would use that texture.

Eris Falling said:

And on that note..A MAP02 in progress...

I am afraid that might make me epileptic. 8-P

mrthejoshmon said:

Is that a 3D Blood? It looks quite decent.

Thanks! It's designed specifically to be copyright infringement-less material, which is why it looks close to Blood. So I suppose similarities can't be avoided in this case ;)

@Da Werecat: Yeah, I think the skins more than the models themselves, but I'm not great at skinning either so it'll have to do for now.

So even on NM, SF2013 MAP20 isn't quite as difficult as it looks. Though the method is extremely luck based.

Chu said:

Thanks! It's designed specifically to be copyright infringement-less material, which is why it looks close to Blood. So I suppose similarities can't be avoided in this case ;)

@Da Werecat: Yeah, I think the skins more than the models themselves, but I'm not great at skinning either so it'll have to do for now.

Chu, what editors do you use to make 3D -models?

That's brilliant, NaturalTvventy, really. Looks like the same map you posted a shot from last time (and it's been a while), but now with more lighting in place. And what a difference it makes. On that note, I also like the sense of space and scale in your outdoor shot there, Gemini09, but it looks like it needs some additional lighting work done--some folks don't appreciate big monotextured areas like that in Doom because of tiling/tessellation issues, but I think they can be very striking/pleasing visually (even when they use few textures or textures that don't tile particularly well) with some skillful lighting choices.