Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Thanks. It's nice to have time to do it again. I've been going back and detailing the maps in the above pics. There's a lot of cool scripting events that I hope will really add some fun factor to the classic game-play.

The Hypertention live action shots are rad. Reminds me of a Troma movie.

I got bored and decided to see if it was possible to do some 'mock HDR' effects, as I know it's possible in VaVoom from some vids I've seen.

Here's the same effect I saw in VaVoom, only in GZDoom:

The brightmap I used to make the windows 'glow' didnt entirely match up the way I wanted, leaving some ugly lines around the window, but that'll be fixed later assuming I ever want to use this technique for something

Wow, those are some sexy looking screenshots he has there. I remember seeing a vid of this a while ago. I think making HDR effects takes more time than it's honestly worth, but I may want to do a full blown mod with this if I ever get my other projects released.

Recently I made this available. Custom menu/dialogue screen scripts! These are all done with ZDoom ACS and are entirely customizable. ;) Enjoy!

Actually, what essel said is what I'm doing. I created a simple mesh in blender, and skinned it with some gradient textures. I used GZDoom's additive transparency + fullbright sprite flags to achieve that effect. I also used GZDoom's brightmaps to make the window portion of the texture brighter than the rest of the texture.

EDIT: Jimmy. That looks really awesome. Is that any different than what you showed me earlier this year?

Patrick's usage of the effect is quite cool. Make it raining out there (with the right sound effect), and then add some fitting low music, and you got a perfect level idea there. An abandoned factory/other urban building during a rainstorm..

exl, what you said about using a bunch of translucent lines was a good idea:

Same room as before, I just removed the models and added a bunch of 1x256 sectors with an alpha channeled texture. I set the translucency to 1.

I think a simple mesh might be more efficient. Rendering a bunch of translucent mid-textures isn't cheap in Doom IIRC. That might have been a software renderer property though. Also using a mesh means you don't have to split the sectors up into another dozen or so if you want to add some detail to it. God knows I tried in dop2, and went mildly insane.

Patrick said:

EDIT: Jimmy. That looks really awesome. Is that any different than what you showed me earlier this year?

Yes, it is a little (it's from the same set of scripts, though). This was made with a view to making it openly customizable to any modders who wanted to include ACS-based dialogue trees with a relatively simple set-up in their mods. :) Take a look if you want.

I thought it had a good video, not sure how good gameplay would be.

I do know if I showed that to my girlfriend she'd probably piss her pants and have nightmares for a week :P

@ rf' : I like.

And I'm impressed with what Total Chaos is doing with skulltag ... but it seems all flash and no substance, if I'm saying that right.

Nothing from me recently sorry, going through 'games-I-like' nostalgia since I'm lazy and would rather not get a job to buy new stuff.

P.S. lol at kyka ;)

@rf`: very impressive, does this mod have a name yet?

@dutch: i've seen screenshots of this since I joined this forum, when can we expect a release?

Patrick said:

@rf`: very impressive, does this mod have a name yet?

The working title is 'Cursed'

Patrick said:

@dutch: i've seen screenshots of this since I joined this forum, when can we expect a release?

I still have 28 maps to go, so no release anytime soon. I should stop giving people false hope by showing screens of that project.

As for my Riot Control project, I am hoping to get this done before the end of this year. That shouldn't be too hard since I have plenty of time to map in december.

Few more. I've been hammering out maps, I hope to have a version in the bag by the end of December with 13 maps deep in so far. I have a few ideas otherwise.

I think in a few days I'm going to put up a beta/demo. I'm having some performance issues in some of the maps and am leaning towards it being my laptop, being the Toshiba POS that it is.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/mdm001.png
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/mdm002.png
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/mdm003.png

@DutchDevil:
Nice screenshots... as always!
I'm really looking forward to your megawad, although I guess it will take quite some time to be finished.
The screeny of map04 you posted looks great, but it needs much more lighting variation IMO. I know you said it needs more work, I just thought I'd point that out.
Keep it up :)