Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

[Music] Jimmy's MIDI Collection / "ZDoom", "Get Ready" and more, oh my!

I just listened to a random selection of tunes. and I gotta say, they are really good, and they feel very true to the "spirit" of the game.

Well done and thanks for letting us use them.

Some of your "title midis" really feel like they could be expanded upon and turned into pretty awesome full songs. Instant Gibbage, Sitar, and Skulls, specifically, I could easily see working in a longer form.

Most of your unfinished tracks appear to be dead links, at least on my end. Vibrant Liquids shows promise, and Arabia would be perfect in a very specific kind of map.

That is some good stuff you have there Jimmy.

Me and the other guys of the Plutonia2 project are looking for musicians like yourself. We are hoping you would be willing to donate/ make midi's for our project.

Would you like to join our team?

For more on the project please visit our website.

@Ryathaen: If you're experiencing dead links, it maybe because I forgot to add "music/" to before the MIDI filename in the links. I just moved all my stuff into a music folder on my site (in the hopes I could get it to display the contents when I linked to it...which it doesn't) so if you just add "music/" manually to the links you should be able to hear them. Thanks for your comments, anyhow! I think you're right about some of those title tracks being able to be expanded into full songs, come to think of it...

@t.v.: The Plutonia II? I'd be more than happy to. :) What kind of stuff do you need? Remixes of the original Doom MIDIs? It just so happens that I've been working on some like that (but none are really in a presentable state), but of course I can do anything else you want, pretty much. Name your game, and I'll do my best. :)

cool you hear you're interested :-)

Good question about the music. I guess different mappers have different preferences. In any case; what I want is an original soundtrack (not ripped or stolen), it is allowed to have influences from other songs/ midi's though.

I have asked Vince to send you an invite to our group site. (I think that would be a better place to discus this than here.)

Jimmy91, is it okay if we invite you (to the P2 group) through the email address you use here? Since it's not viewable to users you might have another address for more public stuff. You can later configure on what address you'll get the group messages, in any case.

hey jimmy,

that would be great if you could PM me your email address so I can invite you to the plutonia2 group :D

thanks

jamespaddock(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk, or jamespaddock(at)hotmail(dot)com. :)

An in-progress version of Alice is now up, but it already loops quite nicely so I'm putting it up for download. For those who liked Ambience, be sure to check this out. :)

Zap610, if you're reading, this is what you requested from me yesterday. :P If you want me to finish it (and I'll get it to at least twice as long) just say and I'll send you it as soon as I'm done, and privately if you don't want me to spoil any more of it. :)

Just a heads up, but the link to Alice on the first post goes to amb.mid instead of Alice.mid.

Oh and by the way, I'm totally using some of these :P

I'm going to add it to the map right now to see how it fits :D

EDIT: The interesting thing about that is it completely changes the perception of the map. I used to have a song in there as a placeholder but removed it before I sent you the wad. It was similar to the song from "Void" in terms of it being more fantasy oriented. Anyway, this basically turned the map from dark to darker and I like the direction it's going. Drop me a PM on IRC when you get this and we can talk.

@Mech: Oh snap, you're right. Fix'd. Good to hear you'll be putting (more of) these to use, anyhow. :)

@Essel: Thanks! The music's not done yet, of course (but I've worked on it today and made some progress) so I guess I should take positive feedback on a yet unfinished track as very positive. XP

@Zap: Heh, having not played Alice before (someone hit me) I wasn't totally sure what kind of musical vein you were shooting for, but I've played the Alice map from stdom.wad, does that count? :|

I was quite spooked by the music used in that map (I take it it's a track from Alice itself) and it sounded a little ambient but also pretty dark and foreboding. Having a mental image of a theme, especially with a map alongside it to work with really helps my inspiration, hence why the music turned out that way. :) To be honest, the airy and fantasy-style theme from Void didn't really occur to me.

I'm glad you like Alice already, anyhow. I'm still working on lengthening it so wait a little longer and I can finally send you the proper version. :>

@Everyone else: I'd like to thank all of you guys immensely for the feedback I've gotten so far. It seems (from comments here and on IRC) that I'm now the resident MIDI-maker, so I must have made quite the impression. :D I'll keep making quality MIDIs and I'll be sure to complete all those unfinished tracks I have on my site in a semi-presentable state. Just so you're aware, here are my priorities on those:

1. Abandonment
2. Strength In Numbers
3. Cursed Stone
4. Vibrant Liquids
(Perhaps a lengthened version of Ambience goes further up on this list...)
... and the rest.

Once again, thanks. Watch this space for more MIDIs from me in the near future, and possibly for my contributions to Plutonia 2.

Jimmy91 said:

...so I must have made quite the impression.

Made an impression? Shoot. You've got to be one of the most talanted MIDI artists I've heard of in quite some time. The more songs you write, the more impressed I become. You know what you're doing, so I'm glad to see you continue to write quality MIDIs for us mappers to use. Thanks very much for that!

=D

Jimmy91 said:

Heh, having not played Alice before (someone hit me) I wasn't totally sure what kind of musical vein you were shooting for, but I've played the Alice map from stdom.wad, does that count? :|

I was quite spooked by the music used in that map (I take it it's a track from Alice itself) and it sounded a little ambient but also pretty dark and foreboding. Having a mental image of a theme, especially with a map alongside it to work with really helps my inspiration, hence why the music turned out that way. :) To be honest, the airy and fantasy-style theme from Void didn't really occur to me.

I'm glad you like Alice already, anyhow. I'm still working on lengthening it so wait a little longer and I can finally send you the proper version. :>

That song was actually used as the final boss theme in the game. The thing about Alice is that it has a lot of music and a lot of areas. Obviously, the music would change during them. What I have set in stone is more like one huge area where you spend most of the game, and small sections where you are able to collect an item, use the item, go back and advance through an earlier area. Think of it like an expanding single map. The music does not usually switch when changing areas, but there are special times when it does. Think of it like a hub.

I was recently tossing around the idea to split the wad into two parts (first being what was said) with the second being "Alice" style levels where you cannot go back. This would not take a giant part of the wad, but it would still have music changes and be significant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Alice had many themes for many levels, this currently does not. I don't want to steal your thread, so we can talk about this sometime on IRC, I'm on now. :P

Cursed Stone is now finished, and a better version of Alice is now up (still not finished, though...).

After Alice is done and dusted, I'll work on finishing Abandonment, and then a longer version of Ambience (there, okay Spadger?! :V). After that's done, I'll likely work some more on Strength in Numbers.

All the while, however, I'll be experimenting around with submissions to Plutonia 2 so they may be delayed a bit.

There are some that would really fit in my gothic / medieval / egypt / aztec project :D

The project is very slow now, but in the future I would like to use your talents :D

(btw you already joined plutonia2 in which I am)

A few days ago I uploaded Longamb for my somewhat impatient #jetsons friends. Make of the extra 42 seconds' worth of ambience what you will, but I'm putting it out there in case anyone wishes to use a slightly less repetitive version of Ambience (ie. Yomoneyboat and Spadger :P).

Also, Strength in Numbers is done, and has been lengthened to 2:08. Go check it out. :D

Next on my list: full version of Abandonment.