Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Best music to listen to while playing a Doom game

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

Okay, being that there are so many sourceports that come out with advanced music options these days, or lack thereof (e.g. EDGE, until February's WIP), I tend to listen more to my own music than the Doom stuff (Mainly because i'm sick of it...hey, you can only go with one thing for so long, right?) I usually like metal/industrial when I'm Doomin'. What do you guys/gals prefer?

Old Post 06-24-01 01:06 #
pilottobombadier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

I prefer Doom's music while playing Doom myself (adds more atmosphere), but I have played around with adding MOD/S3M/IT/XM music to my own levels. As you say, industrial and metal works very well, but drum and bass is oddly suitable as well...

I don't know if there are any more, but in the old days of Doom ('94/'95) there used to be a bunch of, for the lack of a better word, weirdos who liked listening to classical music while playing.

Edit: yay! I'm not a newbie anymore! :)

Old Post 06-24-01 01:13 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

NO

Stupid kids.

Old Post 06-24-01 02:59 #
Lt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoOmEr4LiFe
DoOm TiL dEaTh

for me it will allways and forever be the doom music itself..ive listened to alot of stuff playing doom and none of it quite cuts it like the original stuff

Old Post 06-24-01 04:13 #
DoOmEr4LiFe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

What do you guys/gals prefer?
I have a two-hour-long Danzig playlist for Doom games. It's great. Das Ich comes in second, although with them it's more like you have to match specific songs with specific levels. Danzig you can just let go and it suits most Doom environments, especially Inferno-esque maps.

Old Post 06-24-01 05:38 #
Lt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

What do you guys/gals prefer?
Whatever I wanna listen to.

Old Post 06-24-01 11:41 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

DOOM's music, duh.

Old Post 06-24-01 13:06 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fanatic
Old Post 06-24-01 15:11
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

I like many types of metal, but industrial metal like Fear Factory, Static X and Rammstein fit doom best IMO. I've been listening to rammstein almost nonstop for the last 3 weeks!

Wohlt ir das bett in flammen sehen?

Old Post 06-24-01 15:33 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

Actually, something I'd recommend, if you want to try it is the White Zombie remix CD Super Sexy Swingin' Songs. That worked really well for Doom AND Quake...made Quake one HELL of a lot better than before. And Rammstein's great too, but sometimes you gotta match the song with the level. Same with Judas Priest...Breaking the Law doesn't even fit at all, but Hell Patrol fits very nicely...and oddly enough, ZZ Top for some reason fits well...don't ask. And in regards to classical, it ain't that far off from metal if you really think about.

Old Post 06-24-01 15:49 #
pilottobombadier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naberus

Dornenreichs second album, Bitter ists dem Tod zu dienen, is great for some of the maps; either that or Neptune Towers - Caravans To Empire Agol for the more ambient laid back maps. I suppose it really all depends on the map.

Old Post 06-24-01 16:00 #
Naberus is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Britney, N Sync, Christina, Ricky Martin, Backstreet Boys... the list is just endless. :-P

Old Post 06-24-01 16:04 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Disorder
Boards of Canada

"...Some people call me the space-cowboy. Tu-du-tu-tudu-dudu..."

Old Post 06-24-01 16:08 #
Disorder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

Most of the time I prefer Doom's music. It's the best! But If I want to listen to other music for some reason, I find that Powerman 5000 is the best.the song 'Operate, Annihilate" Works the greatest.Rammstien is another great one.

Old Post 06-24-01 18:58 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

I don't play DooM often enough to start experimenting with alternative soundtracks. I don't do that since Quake 2 or something...

Old Post 06-25-01 04:01 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stphrz
I use a blowtorch to make crme brle

Another question might be, what music do you listen to while editing Doom levels?

Old Post 06-25-01 04:08 #
stphrz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

That's easy. Anything that fits the room you're creating theme.

Old Post 06-25-01 04:16 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

Another question might be, what music do you listen to while editing Doom levels?
I used to listen to Alice In Chains - Dirt all the time when I did my Heretic maps back in '96.

Old Post 06-25-01 07:39 #
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

I don't build levels, so I can't say. However, when I'm playing with EDGE [just finishing a ripped weapons/assholes(monsters) thing with my own EDGE stuff], it's whatever I want to listen to. Might be Judas Priest, might be Pantera, or maybe Dream Theatre. It's just whatever I'm in the mood for.

Old Post 06-25-01 15:11 #
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

britney spears, without a doubt

PS. I'm wanking as i write this

Old Post 06-25-01 16:31 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katgut
Post Out Of Order

Bah to Titney Spears.

I'll be really odd here and say Styx.

Old Post 06-25-01 16:34 #
Katgut is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CacodemonLeader
Powerslave Fanatic

Bah to Titney Spears.

I'll be really odd here and say Styx.

I second that motion. Besides, I'd rather play DOOM with music from Sonic the Hedgehog games (Yes even SRB2).

Old Post 06-25-01 16:41 #
CacodemonLeader is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Feronth
Green Marine

I listen to PSX Doom music(I load the PSX Doom music wads from Elbryan42 in ZDoom), otherwise, Quake music.

God, the music of e1m1 on psx doom goes so fantastically well with the wad "Phobos anomaly return" (map1). Kickass wad, btw...anyone tried it? It was on last week's /newstuff.

Old Post 06-25-01 17:26 #
Feronth is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I dunno....mostly I use the IDMUS cheat and turn on E1M5 or 7. Otherwise, I strangely prefer listening to Staind or some other such group, mainly because of the depressing music, which fits Doom's intense, depressing atmosphere.

Old Post 06-26-01 03:27 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

I like listening to any type of metal/industrial while dooming/ creating levels. It does suit the theme of doom. When I am playing Heretic and creating levels for it, I prefer to listen to Gothic Metal/Industrial because again, the theme of heretic

Old Post 06-26-01 14:09 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doom-Child
Wears the man-pants in this family

There are some really good original DOOM music remixes out, most of them my DJ Pretzel over at OC Remix, remix.overclocked.org. My theme music is his E1M1 remix. BadASS.

DC

Old Post 06-26-01 15:39 #
Doom-Child is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

Heh. I haven't bought a CD in about 4 years. I've gotten 2 for christmas. I basically have to wind up choosing between the offspring or creed...

Old Post 06-26-01 16:14 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
casper
Full of crap

N * R V A N A
-------------

Old Post 07-09-01 10:50 #
casper is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
diluted
I am maga

SLIPKNOT, FUCK METALLICA, SLLLLIIIIPPPKKKNNNNOOOOOTTTTT

Old Post 07-09-01 13:41 #
diluted is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Renegade_Style
Mini-Member

DooMs original Music is good,but Skinny Puppy`s
Last Rights is very scary.
Quake I Music is another choice or some EBM stuff.
AND WHERE THE HELL IS MY SIG ????

Old Post 07-09-01 14:13 #
Renegade_Style is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote