Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volume

best way of controls for pc doom

what is your best way controlling of pc doom?? obviously keyboard & mouse..but i want to know what are your opinions on how?? and im talking about not limited to vanila doom but when you customize the keyboard and mouse controls....

for example lets say your best way to control is...you use keyboard to move forward and back, turn, aim, shoot, use, jump and crouch and you use mouse to mainly strafe...

so tell me what you like to do or prefer better??

Arrow keys to turn, WASD to move. E to open doors, Space to shoot.

Mouse to turn and aim (aka mouselook), to shoot, to open doors and activate switches, use inventory items (in Heretic/Hexen/Strife), jump (in Hexen/Strife or ZDoom mods), and switch weapons. Keypad to move, select inventory item, crouch and toggle automap on/off. Because my computer is a laptop, I don't like using its integrated keyboard for gaming.

But among Doom ports, only ZDoom allows me to use that setup. Others don't recognize all the buttons on my mouse or don't understand how the keypad is supposed to work.

Having recently played through 360 Doom, I have come to the conclusion that the 360 controller is the best way to play. I did, however, customize the controls slightly......

Left Stick - Move forward and back, strafe left and right
Right Stick - Turn left and right
Left Trigger - Sprint
Right Trigger - Fire
Left Bumper - Previous Weapon
Right Bumper - Next Weapon
A - Use, select item menu
B - Go back in menu
X - Jump
Y - Y (Y'know, to quit at the end)
Start - Pause
Back - Automap
Guide Button - Menu

The good thing about this set-up is, it's easily altered if I ever feel like using mouselook. Which I never do, but I like the fact that the option is there.

I'm pretty sure this topic was posted not all that long ago.
Anyway,
S=strafe left
C=strafe right
D=move backward
E=jump
A=center view
X=crouch
CAPS LOCK=toggle run
SPACE=use
Left mouse click=fire
Right mouse click=move forward
SHIFT=mouselook

Left and right strafes, up and down moves forward/back, mouse for mouselooking, firing and using doors.

WASD (foreward/srtafe/backwards) + mouse, of course.

Dont use mouselook though (as in up/down view)

Im wondering why so many arent using a mouse? Is it because "its not the way Doom is supposed to be played"? Or do you find it hard to manage? I mean, it IS far superior to keyboard only.

I'm Mr. Generic.

WASD - Forward, Strafe Left, Back, and Right
Space - Use
Left Mouse - Fire
Right Mouse - Jump

Reevys said:
Having recently played through 360 Doom, I have come to the conclusion that the 360 controller is the best way to play. I did, however, customize the controls slightly......

I didn't like the controls; they felt too awkward for me. I especially hated the low sensitivity, though I'm sure you don't have that problem on the computer. It took me forever to beat E4M2 on UV since I couldn't whip around after hitting the first switch before the cacos killed me.

Reevys said:

Left Trigger - Sprint

I hated that.

DuckReconMajor said:

I didn't like the controls; they felt too awkward for me. I especially hated the low sensitivity, though I'm sure you don't have that problem on the computer. It took me forever to beat E4M2 on UV since I couldn't whip around after hitting the first switch before the cacos killed me.

Yeah, I adjusted it so it was a little bit more sensitive. Overall, I thought the 360 version was good, but had a few flaws. The main one was the sensitivity, and another was the speed the weapons changed. So I'm glad both these problems were sorted out when I set it up on the computer.

wasd to move forward, back, strafe left and right
mouse(mouselook on) to aim, scroll to change weapon, mouse button 1 to fire, button 2 to altfire. f to jump, c to crouch, space to use. backslash for chasecam, tab for map, esc for menu.

Eyebrow wiggle to move forward.
Shifty eyes left/right to turn.
Blink left or right eye to strafe left or right respectively.
Think bad thoughts to fire.
Roll eyes up or down to change weapons.
Firm staring to open doors/toggle switches.

Works well.