Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

It has the swastika in E1M4 and the raising pit in E1M3. I think it could be version 1.2. Anyway, I will use Ultimate Doom IWAD in any future demos, I just wanted to show off the shareware version.

I looove making trailers! Though i was having a lot of second thoughs on this one, since it spoils a few cool moments, i still decided to upload it. I wonder if somebody will recognize anything from any screenshots i've posted before.

If i ever make a thread about <!!~MY WAD~!!> (which this is a trailer of), i will repost it there, but i doubt that will happen until much later. Because of that, i hope this gets some attention here... Some credit for this should go to eargosedown i suppose, because i started watching her videos lately and those put me in the doom mood again.

@Antroid.
Some of those areas in that vid look awesome. Really well done. I want to play this now. What is the music, just out of interest. It is great music.

I like the telaporting gibs in the beginning of the trailer.
Also are those rats that I'm seeing O_o

@Kyka
I've named the music in the video description, and elaborated in the comments there. It's from the latest movie adaptation of the book "Master and Margaret", and it's called "Woland's hymn", and Woland is basically Satan. Oh and thanks, i'm glad you like the video - i'm curious, what are those areas that you liked the most?

@Philnemba
To quote myself from the comments - "Those two teleport mishaps at the beginning are actualy supposed to be two of your buddies who were going to teleport here with you, but something went wrong and they got torn to pieces." That scene is the beginning of the very first map.
And no, those aren't rats, those are ghost cockroaches :D There is a non-ghost variation that you can squish, but i liked the ghosts more and have only used them in the wad so far.

Yeah, some nice looking areas in that vid, Antroid. However, to me it seems very bare in monsters and extremely easy. :( I hope the finished wad won't be lacking in gameplay. :)

Well i am not a very good doom player and it is pretty hard for me. I am however planning to make it harder for UV. Still, i don't think you can judge this very well from a video such as this, even though i believe i captured a few difficult-ish moments in there. It's certainly not a slaughterfest, but harder than the original dooms at least. I hope. Anyway, the potential challenge lies more in ammo and health conservation than in killing hordes of monsters, because that's what i like more.

Antroid said:

Well i am not a very good doom player and it is pretty hard for me. I am however planning to make it harder for UV. Still, i don't think you can judge this very well from a video such as this, even though i believe i captured a few difficult-ish moments in there. It's certainly not a slaughterfest, but harder than the original dooms at least. I hope. Anyway, the potential challenge lies more in ammo and health conservation than in killing hordes of monsters, because that's what i like more.

Yeah, well shotgunning a single zombie or plasma gunning a single hell knight in a big open area just didn't seem too special. :) I don't mean that it should be hard-hard, but the trailer just didn't have that much in the ways of gameplay, IMHO (and the later part with a random assortment of monsters with little thought in monster placement in an open, linear area reminds me of cjwright's maps).

Actually, upon rewatching the video i understood exactly what parts could leave that impression, that plasmed hellknight among them. Well, you'll have to take my word for it, i guess: those scenes just happened in earlier levels, or in between me killing most of the mobs and some more spawning, or before i would turn around and see more guys. Although i don't like to cram as many monsters in a room as possible, and that's also why it could seem a bit empty compared to some other wads. I guess the video doesn't do justice to the difficulty, but it is possible that i just suck at doom and the wad's really easy. :) I hope that's not the case.
(and about that last part, well.. um.. i can't think of what to say in my defense except that i still think that type of monster placement is fine for those circumstances that you don't really feel through a video)

:) I found it out 1,5 years ago...
I could not find in the internet that something like that is possible
On the contrary, everywhere it says that a UV tyson run in map30 is impossible
tommorow the demo will be uploaded I think

DooM2 - Final Boss (pistol only!) 0:37 - UV Tyson

Amazing! I´m so gonna try that nontas, probably takes forever though...

Lucky arch-vile spawn ;P

I don´t see much luck involved, unless he did that in one go or something

xepop said:

I don´t see much luck involved, unless he did that in one go or something

It's random. You may as well wait an hour before an archvile is spawned.

And? Spawning probability: Arch-vile (2/255 chance)
So you say you get "lucky" every 2/255?

xepop said:

And? Spawning probability: Arch-vile (2/255 chance)
So you say you get "lucky" every 2/255?

Lucky he got one to spawn in the very beginning of the map. Yeah, you'd get it first-spawn in 2/255 tries, but re-starting map30 to record a demo you'd only get the chance to do properly 1/127.5 times ... some perseverance there. And a bit of no life ;P

How many actual first-spawn tries did it actually take? And I only know about the arch-vile spawning cause it happened when I was making M30 of SL ... heh. ~ 14 spawners makes quite a few arch-viles spawn ;)

Yeah, you'd get it first-spawn in 2/255 tries, but re-starting map30 to record a demo you'd only get the chance to do properly 1/127.5 times

But once you get it, DAMN!

some perseverance there. And a bit of no life ;P

Hey, it´s doom! It´s worth it. I find it kind of art, though I don´t like TAS too much, takes something away from human speedrunning when you could just watch some divine doomguy running perfectly like it´s not a big deal.

It is not only luck, how often an Arch-Vile spawns.
As you know the kind of which monster spawns depends on yourself.
So if you act always the same, you always get a Arch-Vile
(otherwise a demo wouldn't work)
With a special route I get an Arch-Vile every 25-50th run :)

The reason why I made this TAS run is that someone better than me
can do it without TAS
And yes, I treat it as art too :)

edit: I made about 1000 (!) nontas runs...

here the demo : http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/49883-doom2-final-boss-pistol-only-037-uv-tyson/

With a special route I get an Arch-Vile every 25-50th run

One in twenty-five is still pretty damn extreme luck manipulation in my book. :p

Just saying. It doesn't make the demo any less enjoyable to watch.

Very early build of Doom for the 32X with different music than what is in the final version. Map is also a lot more accurate here. Not to mention it's fullscreen. (and runs like crap when monsters are on the screen. :p)