Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Murphy's law and Doom

My big Dooming Murphy's gripe is:

You download a new level with high hopes of epic dooming goodness, and you get something about as immersive as dry cement.

Super Jamie said:

Manc dodging is easy. I got my practice by playing MAP07 about a thousand times :)

I used to think I was good at manc dodging. Then gggmork uploaded this level a while back (the one with you and two mancs in a tiny circular area, and you have to kill them with a pistol. And that's just the start of the fun.

That level is single handedly responsible for my new, super improved manc dodging skills. Super Jamie, you gotta try this level. :)

(gggmork, this is a very unsubtle hint for you to upload that level, if you wouldn't mind. I don't think I still have it and the link is expired in the original thread.)

Kyka said:

You download a new level with high hopes of epic dooming goodness, and you get something about as immersive as dry cement.

Especially when it's like 50MB.

DuckReconMajor said:

Especially when it's like 50MB.

Or 80+ MB, like Doom: Rampage edition ;-)

Even UAC Military Nightmare beats it in terms of fun-per-MB ratio.

It's funny, I had no idea how to dodge a manc ball properly until a couple years ago because I had always played zdaemon online - it was screwed up and the ball sprites didn't actually show where the balls were, so I always thought their attack was random.

zdaemon was good practise for revenant balls though - the ball sprite would always just go straight, it wouldn't actually show the ball homing in on you, so you just had to 'know' where the ball was without seeing it.

Kyka said:

I used to think I was good at manc dodging. Then gggmork uploaded this level a while back (the one with you and two mancs in a tiny circular area, and you have to kill them with a pistol. And that's just the start of the fun.

That level is single handedly responsible for my new, super improved manc dodging skills. Super Jamie, you gotta try this level. :)

(gggmork, this is a very unsubtle hint for you to upload that level, if you wouldn't mind. I don't think I still have it and the link is expired in the original thread.)

I recall a map that puts you on a fast-dropping lift and instantly jams you in a tiny L-shaped area with two mancs. It was probably about 192x256 or so. That took me a couple of savegames, mostly because the mancs see you first due to a slot in the floor, and you're facing the wrong way as you go down the lift.

I used 2 mancs in a smallish circular area one of the first maps I started making, though i gave the player a shotgun. It's short and unfinished but I'll upload when I get home. The encounter is easy if you know what you're doing. I rarely die there during playtesting.

And yes, the more morkmaps around the better, please do upload :)

TimeOfDeath said:

zdaemon was good practise for revenant balls though - the ball sprite would always just go straight, it wouldn't actually show the ball homing in on you, so you just had to 'know' where the ball was without seeing it.

USE THE FORCE, LUKE!!!

gggmork said:

Here is it (still have the demos):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0c4qf0

Its better to be close to a manc when dodging, when the fireballs angle more toward a single point instead of spread out. Afrits are harder.

thats a friggen cool level man. I couldn't get past the second arch vile wave :(

Thanks, probably helps to just keep the bfg trigger down while facing that same way backed up as far as you can before they warp (the previously shot bfg balls will hit the wall before they warp but also cause splash damage).

I like to 'pile up bfg blasts' in some levels, meaning run forward toward a large horde while shooting multiple bfg shots. They get close together due to running and you end up hitting the horde with multiple shots close together doing more damage.

gggmork said:

I like to 'pile up bfg blasts' in some levels, meaning run forward toward a large horde while shooting multiple bfg shots. They get close together due to running and you end up hitting the horde with multiple shots close together doing more damage.

I like doing that with rockets too. It's fun to get a nice salvo of 4+ going :) Can only do it safely in god mode though, otherwise your run into your own rocket splash.

You're using the rocket launcher - you get ready to run out from behind the wall you're hiding behind to kill a bunch of monsters, but you act like you're using the bfg and press fire before you get past the wall, accidentally killing yourself with a rocket.

TimeOfDeath said:

You're using the rocket launcher - you get ready to run out from behind the wall you're hiding behind to kill a bunch of monsters, but you act like you're using the bfg and press fire before you get past the wall, accidentally killing yourself with a rocket.

Unless you were playing online, i blame you :P.

How about when you are playing Invasion, kill a boss, and decide to bask in your victory by teabagging it, but wait! The boss explodes, instantly killing you and rocketing your sprite across the map for all of your allies to see.

TimeOfDeath said:

i picked the habit to silence bfg shots whenever near to a wall, so this brain shortcircuit is exceptionally deadly to me. :)

Ninjalah said:

...teabagging it...

suddenly, i'm so glad i don't play skulltag.

dew said:

suddenly, i'm so glad i don't play skulltag.

I'm 15, i grew up on Halo and such games. It's a deadly habit, as you can see here. Also, it was just to make a couple of my allies laugh (we are the simple mind.)

You kill an imp but it takes a century for its dying frames to stop blocking you causing some other enemy to kill you.

There's some chaingunners behind thin poles far away. You try to snipe with a pistol and every single shot hits the bars.

I managed to copy that glide successfully (for once), but don't get how you stepped over that ginormous wall. I don't see how its murphy's law related unless you meant to include a bunch of failed attempts (like the other map 01 or whatever it was)- link has 1 lmp/txt.

yup. there's nothing worse in a speedrun than getting a x.00 time :)

Ah (1 millisecond faster would = 1 second faster).

You're in a map with limited ammo and a door crushes all the dropped guns.

gggmork said:

You're in a map with limited ammo and a door crushes all the dropped guns.

I consider that more a designer fail than Murphy's Law. Especially if you're relying on a dropped shotgun or chaingun as your first pickup of that weapon.