Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azureace

Whats your Doom Origin?

I don't know if this was done before but why not list off who what when where how you got involved in doom just for pure curiosity's sake

My story.
My Dad got me involved with doom by letting me watch him when he played the Shareware version before he got the registered version, I got my first personal Doom version from him in 96 on my Tenth Birthday when he got me Doom 2 and gave me his registered copy of Doom. Needless to say mom wasn't happy that i was playing a "satan" game, (yet she played heretic and Hexen...And still does)

But I do remember dad buying my first Shovel-ware cd the Demons gate Mega Collection and i have held on to the CD for so long it is not funny and i won't let it leave my house And i remember earning a Butt load over a summer in lawn mowing money just to buy a N-64 and Doom 64,Quake 1 & 2 and Hexen. nothing but those 4 games touched my 64.

But thats my story.

If a computer game came out in the 90s and got popular via shareware, I inevitably got hold of it and played it.

The first registered Doom I got was a boxed v1.1 I borrowed off the computer guy who fixed my PC when it broke, this was in 1994 before Doom 2 came out.

I still remember the excited feeling I got as I flicked through the manual while it installed, this game was special and different and exactly the kind of atmosphere I loved. I feel the same way every time I here E1M1's theme song.

I had shareware Doom relatively soon after its release, but my parents weren't really allowing me to get very violent games at that point, so I had to stick with various versions of shareware Doom, wolf3D, etc. I also got a "250 GAMES!" disk that was one of those pirated shovelware kind of $5 CDs once we got a computer with a CD drive. That had a couple of shitty DOS Doom editors on it that I never learned out to use.

My first registered Doom that I personally owned was Doom 95, at its release, so Ultimate Doom was my main experience for years. I had a friend who had an older brother with Doom 2, and one of my mom's friends from work DMed, so I had really limited experience with that around 95.

In the mid to late 90s I downloaded some of my first Doom wads, which really just amounted to shit like Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead TCs, and wads that looked like Malls. They were horrible.

I became pretty focused on Tribes when it came out, got competitive in that, and then started moving away from Doom, playing Half Life and its various mods, including the early CS. Then something happened -- I can't recall what -- to make me pick up Doom II and then get started down the road of Sourceports. I used Doom Connector when it was very young, playing on Legacy, then ZDaemon and Skulltag, and settled in with the ST community. It's all history from there.

I was never allowed to play video games when I was a kid. I always used to go see this friend and we used to play SNES and N64, because his house was the only place I could play games (this would have been ~1997-1999.) His older brother got all the cool games we coudlnt play (Goldeneye, Turok, Doom, Quake, etc.) One day when my friends mom was out we went into the basement, turned out all the lights and stole his brother's copy of Doom 64. I about pissed myself when I first heard the noise that the barons made in that game.

After that, I never really played Doom until I was at a friends house in 2005, where he was talking about how 'over-modded' it was, and he mentioned the awesome mod called 'Zen Dynamics' that I should see. I went home and got ZDoom then got a copy of the Doom iWad that he sent me. I played Zen Dynamics and it inspired me to start making my own Doom maps.

Doom 64 still gives me the creeps. Its my favorite game of all time.

Nice story Shaikoten, that "don't recall" part has happened to me alot (pointing at LoZ then to Mario...).

I was introduced to Doom around the same time I first got hooked onto my SNES at 3 years of age around '94/'95, and my dads friend Tim brought in the Shareware, but by that time I wasn't allowed to touch a computer... just the Nintendo.
By Age 7 when I WAS able to use the computer, I watched my fiend Jake play it, I was watching him play it on Nightmare the whole time, and it scared me abit, but it grew on. Then looking at the CD carefully, it was Doom + More, which contained one of my favorite classics JetPac, sQuarez, Hexagon, NiteRaid and some puzzle-games.
First time playing Doom itself was half-year later, and I loved it and hated it, back then it was frustrating because of the Demons, it was loved for the intensity.
Around 2000-2003 I went to my friends house and he had Doom II, and I fell in love at first sight (despite the lower detail it had). Then I bought it off of him (he still had it on his comp too) and I didn't stop.
My first REGISTERED version of Doom 1 was the SNES which my parents bought around the same year, it's graphics were worse but it was fun (while it lasted..), and then a N64 popped in, Doom 64 and Duke Nukem, got distracted from faithful PC for a year.
4 months after that ordeal, I finally got Ultimate Doom and Final Doom, and finding out Doomworld's existence.

Mithral_Demon said:

JetPac

How rad was this game! So much fun with the level editor too. Jetpack 2 and Jetpack DS have apparently been announced.

I missed out on Doom until sometime around '97-98. I never owned a PC back then, and did all of my gaming on consoles. A friend of my brother did have the SNES version (I remember that red cart), but I never played it. Anyway, I finally ended up playing Doom 2 for the first time at a friend's house, when he got it as a birthday present. I don't think I even got through map01 when I got a chance to play, heh.

After that, I moved, and it wasn't for about another year that I got to play the game. I borrowed the PSX version from this kid at school, and played that to death. That copy ended up getting stolen from me when my house was robbed, about a year later. I never bothered getting a replacement copy, until about a year ago. I finally got my first PC in 2000, and Doom 2 was one of the first games I got for it, along with SimCity 2000 and the original Half-Life. I forget when I ended up getting Ultimate Doom, but it wasn't too long after that. I got Final Doom a lot later, when I bought the Collector's Edition specifically for it (no idea when this was, probably 3-4 years ago).

If anyone's curious, the first sourceport I used was EDGE. I couldn't really appreciate the differences between it and the actual executable yet (I could never get music working in vanilla anyway, so I was using Doom95 before then). I also toyed around with Legacy a bit, but never liked that as much. After a while, I decided I wanted a "purer" experience, and went back to Doom95, broken mouse and all. I guess it was about three years ago when I found Chocolate Doom, and have been using that as my main port ever since.

My Dad got Doom sometime in 1994, when I was 3 years old. I watched him play it all the time, and I used to crap myself whenever he opened a door and a demon popped out. Not long after my 4th birthday, my Dad started letting me play it. I played on the easiest difficulty, but I did pretty well.

My Dad got Doom II near the end of 1995, so I started playing through that. In fact, I distinctly remember spending a great deal of my 5th birthday party in my Mum and Dad's room playing Doom, while my friends and cousins ran about my house being loud and stuff.

Not long after my 6th birthday, I finally managed to finish both Doom and Doom II (I didn't have The Ultimate Doom, however). That was the last time I really played Doom on the PC until about a year ago, however. I got a Playstation not long after that, and with it, a copy of PSX Doom.

My Mum and my Dad split up a while after that, and my Dad moved out, taking his computer with him. This left my with only PSX Doom to play, which was the only version of Doom I played for almost a decade. Then, just over a year ago, I bought my laptop and a copy of The Collector's Edition.

I guess it all started with Wolfenstein 3D. My dad had purchased it and would play it in his office down in the basement of our house. It would become a nightly ritual for me to sit there beside him and watch him shoot up Nazis and "buzz" along walls for secret compartments. I was pretty fascinated by it because up until that point, the only computer games I had played were things like Commander Keen, Secret Agent, and Crystal Caverns. The "realism" blew me away.

When Doom came out, my dad was one of the first to grab it. Looking back, he always found out about the coolest shit. What I didn't know until almost 15 years later, that is on that snow-covered December day, my dad was downloading Doom from the internet with the many, many others who also wanted to get their hands on it. I'm pretty proud of the fact that my dad was of one of the first to play Doom.

So one day, I come down to the basement to ask my dad about something after dinner, and I can hear these strange growls, moans, and gunshots coming from his office. Wolfenstein, I thought? I quickly rounded the corner, but slowly peeked into the room, and there he was, playing the game that would forever change my life. I approached him and started to ask what he was playing, but my words trailed off as I realized this game was unlike any other I'd ever seen before. He glanced over at me with a smirk, and I stood there, without words, just staring at his screen. Maybe several hours passed without me moving an inch or saying a word. I witnessed demons being slaughtered with shotguns and chainguns, blood and gore everywhere, an atmosphere that invoked genuine fear. This was the stuff of nightmares. Fascination wouldn't begin to describe it.

So from that point on, my nightly ritual would become a religious ceremony of witnessing the slaughter of Hell's minions. This was only the beginning of my journey with Doom.

It all started when I got my Windows 3.1 IBM 286 in the early 90's. My cousins boyfriend came over and installed a bunch of games on it for me, Wolf 3D being one of them. I was hooked, first time i'd played a game where I "was" the character.

It was shortly after that, I was at a dollar store with my mother, and they had a whole spinning rack of shareware games for a buck a piece. Well Doom was in there, and of course when I seen the pictures on the back, I HAD to have it!

I eventually got Doom for SNES, and then Doom95 for PC when it came out (and I had a better computer).

It remains the one and only game that actually scares me. Even though I could make my way through all the levels blind folded, I still jump when I come around the corner to find a shot gun guy in my face.

It was 1996 and I was playing my SNES (N64 hadn't come out yet). Me, my brother and my Dad all went down to Blockbuster every week to rent a videogame. It was my turn to pick, so I picked DooM, if only because I thought the cover looked cool.

I was in for the ride of my life.

Mithral_Demon said:

JetPac

YES!

I think this was the first game I played that had a map editor. Such a great game. I think we need a Jetpack thread.

My father got me DooM for the SNES for one of my birthdays back when I was a kid. Scared the crap out of me lol

Picked up the Doom Collector's Edition back in April '06. Figured it was a good deal at $10 for 3 games. I played through Ultimate Doom, Doom II and part of Final Doom (can't remember which part) before I stopped playing. About a year later, I found some Let's Play threads on Something Awful about all the classic Doom games. I watched all the videos and read all the threads. It made me finish my old save files on Doom95 and made me aware of source ports. I ended up downloading ZDoom and playing through all the WADs on the Collector's Edition. Once I finished there, I found out about this site and the 10 Years of WADs/Cacowards. Made my way through some classic PWADs and eventually bought Master Levels for Doom II to complete my Official id WAD collection.

It was back a long time ago when I was a tyke and Windows 95 had recently come out. My parents decided to replace our aging Apple IIGS with a Windows computer. Included was a sample disc full of games for Windows 95, and among them was the shareware of Doom95. I had some fun with that, blowing things up with the rocket launcher and making gibs out of them.

Time passed, and I got interested in other games, but eventually a Sonic fangame got me briefly interested into editing wads, which eventually brought me back to Doom. I finally played the full version for the first time, and I've been hooked ever since.

I was bitten by a radioactive pinky while on a class field trip to a high-profile museum. It gave me powers...powers to play Doom.

(Hey, you said "origins" and for some reason that made me think superhero.)

I don't really remember the year, but I think it was before Doom got released in Spain, that my father brought home the demo of the first Doom. I remember it well because we still didn't have Windows, just DOS, and the game wouldn't run because we lacked RAM. I think we already had a NES so it wasn't my first gaming experience, but sure among the first ones and one that really impacted me. Even then it was one of my favorite games and I played most game that were similar, Wolfenstein, Heretic, Hexen, Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone and its sequel, etc.

I used to play it a lot and map for it, even though those first maps were a bit poor (and also hardcore), until a few years ago that I decided to check the net for maps, and so I found great editors like Doom Builders and some of the best maps in MM, MM2, AV, HR, HR2, Scythe 1&2 and so on.

Even though I also play a lot to other games for whatever reason it may be, I'm sure Doom is the game I've played the most.

I heard friends talking about it in the school yard. The first time I saw Doom was at my cousin's house. Good times... I remember we played map03 and I think we had the plasma rifle too, somehow.

I had my hand in the shareware version of Doom (version 1.8) on floppies at the time but my first experience with the rest of the episodes was on the SNES (which I liked the music arrangements and still do). After a little while, I had my taste of Doom 2 and was literally loving it and played it quite a bit but I eventually bought Ultimate Doom on CD when it was sold in stores around 1995-1996 for the standard PC game price (45-50 USD).

Who got me interested? My parents' good friend, who also showed me the shareware version of Wolf3D before I had 4MB RAM to play Doom, which I played to death.

I originally got Doom for the 32X back in the day, but the console broke after about a year. It wasn't until I got a PS1 and a copy of Doom for it a couple of years later that I had what I regard as my first proper experience with the game (32X Doom had only 2 episodes, no rotation frames and no bosses). So when I finally got a PC in early 2001 I immediately hunted it down. It took a while getting used to the lower colour palette and original SFX again, but quality prevails in such things and here I am, 14 years after my first ever encounter with the game and I'm still playing it.

Back around 1997, my dad played Doom very frequently. It was only common sense that I'd be playing it soon. One day he asked me if I wanted to play a game, so I went ahead downstairs and played Doom for a few hours. My interest for Doom generally progressed over the years, and I'm glad I was introduced to it when I was two. Had I not been introduced I'd probably be playing the kind of games I hate right now.

I progressed to doom really wierdly. I got my start with heretic, then went on to play the duke nukem games, then to doom. My dad let me play the heretic shareware with "massacre" on when I was pretty little. Then Came Duke Nukem (I was still too young to really unterstand what I was seeing) then once I had figured out what boobs were I could say goodbye to duke nukem. Thus I started playing doom.

i played wolf3d since it came out and spent whole days pushing walls, hell bent on finishing every map with 3x100%... until someone told m that an even better game from the same company was out now, which i couldn't believe... until i saw the game on a friend's brand new 486something with a soundblaster card and couldn't let go of it since ;)

My mother bought me a bunch of Cds for my first computer back around late 99 and one of the them was a DOOM shareware CD(dated back in 95). That pretty much got me hooked but I didn't owned Ultimate DOOM til 2003(although I did get DOOM for the GBA a year before that). A year later, I got DOOM 2 and Final DOOM.

The first time I saw Doom1 was on the Sega something at a friend's house in early-ish(?) '95 when I was 12. I'm pretty sure I was freaked out. I remember the level was Spawning Vats - I remember the stairs after the blue door with a demon in there somewhere.

The next time I saw it, and the first time I actually played it, was later in '95 when my dad and I drove to the new city our family was eventually moving to so I could try out for the hockey team. He was already working in that city and he took me to his office while he worked. One of his co-workers had Doom on his computer and let me play - he showed me the cheat codes and how to get to the secret area in e1m3.

When we moved to the new city in the summer of '95, I bugged my dad to ask his co-worker for a copy of Doom and he eventually gave me the shareware. For my birthday in '96, I was bugging my parents for the full version of Doom and I remember being disappointed when they got me Quake (the guy at the store told them Quake was the next big thing), but I quickly got over it after seeing Quake (it was so freaky).

when i was a kid i didn't have an NES, i had a commodore64. i played a lot of castle wolfenstein and beyond castle wolfenstein...
then, years later, wolf3D came out and i played the hell out of it and was amazed at it's "3-D" graphics.
one day, my friend told me about this game that he got that blew wolf3D away...he gave it to me on a floppy. This was still in '94.
my other friend was jealous that his computer couldn't run it :P
Then, i eventually got a modem (2400bps!!!) and started downloading maps and fiddling with DEU. i also tried forever to play deathmatch but could never figure out how to connect.
i hated doom2 (the new enemies and art) until 2004-ish (i know, what was wrong with me?) so i didn't play any doom2 pwads until then.
i didn't have time to go to bed bath and beyond.

THE END