Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

The Cacodemon's skinny eye

printz said:

Their similarity is logical though, as they're the same ammo used in similar contexts.

I know; it's just something not a lot of people have noticed.

Darkman 4 said:

ejected shotgun shell found in the Doom Alpha's .wad files

I hadn't actually noticed that, but it did look familiar. For info, it wasn't just in the Alphas. The first official releases (1.1 and 1.2 I think) still had them. They were unused, of course, and got trimmed out of the WAD later.

Enjay said:

I hadn't actually noticed that, but it did look familiar. For info, it wasn't just in the Alphas. The first official releases (1.1 and 1.2 I think) still had them. They were unused, of course, and got trimmed out of the WAD later.

That's interesting. I guess iD wanted to implant ejected shell casings even after the Alphas, but they never had the time to code them in.

Gez said:
I always imagined them as the soul of a human killed by the demons, imprisoned in a sphere to be consumed later.

I prefer to see it as the result of some sort of UAC experiment, maybe catching a person in a state of the inter-dimensional teleportation process. When used, the recipient absorbs the altered genetic material, revitalizing his health.

printz said:
Their similarity is logical though, as they're the same ammo used in similar contexts.

It can be taken as a gamism, representing shells of two sizes (as per the number of smoke puffs.) The same could be said for the pistol and chaingun, as one supposedly uses magazines and the other ammo belts.

myk said:

I prefer to see it as the result of some sort of UAC experiment, maybe catching a person in a state of the inter-dimensional teleportation process. When used, the recipient absorbs the altered genetic material, revitalizing his health.

I see them as 100 hp.

I don't mean to mock you - I've just never really sought justification for every little thing. In most games I just ignore the little things and chalk up the big things (how does the protagonist continuously manage to survive?) to fate, or some notion equally vague and thus sustainable.

Creaphis said:
I see them as 100 hp.

Ah, good master, you must have caught on to that line of reasoning somewhere :p

Yet...

I've just never really sought justification for every little thing. In most games I just ignore the little things and chalk up the big things (how does the protagonist continuously manage to survive?) to fate, or some notion equally vague and thus sustainable.

My point above is about taking the game, aesthetically, more as science fiction than fantasy because I feel it gives it a more concrete yet mysterious and moody feel. It's more awesome. Fantasy is about preconceptions, science fiction about that which one seeks to know.

Creaphis said:

I see them as 100 hp.

I don't mean to mock you - I've just never really sought justification for every little thing. In most games I just ignore the little things

Maybe some of us read play the magazines games for the articles.

At least that's what I tell my lady.

MSPaintR0cks said:

I don`t get it. Is there something special on that texture?

There's a 3x5 pixel area that kinda looks like a very low-res skull.

Honestly I'd chalk it up as coincidence.

Cool finds! I've got two more for you:

1. Look closely at the last frame of the barrel's death state. See something familiar?

2. The Pain Elemental's wake-up sound is a distorted version of the Spiderdemon's wake-up sound.

Terra-jin said:

1. Look closely at the last frame of the barrel's death state. See something familiar?

No I do not!

Maybe a T-Rex skull as the bottom-left cyan space, but...no.
Or, WTH. Maybe that cyan space is LEVEL 7 from Zelda?

Terra-jin said:

Cool finds! I've got two more for you:

The explosion for that frame of the barrel is a shrunken version of one of the Cyber Demon's death frames.

You can even see the Cyber Demon's hoof's at the bottom.

Vermil said:The explosion for that frame of the barrel is a shrunken version of one of the Cyber Demon's death frames.

We have a winner!

Doesn't bother me as the metal on the bottom looks just like the barrel's own metal.

Gez said:

There's a 3x5 pixel area that kinda looks like a very low-res skull.

Oh. What I saw in that sample was the WolfenDoom dinky clip for the shotgun.

Also, it's a bit uneasy to find out that the barrels are foreshadowing the most evil monster in Doom.

Thank you, I didn't think anyone would be able to pinpoint the exact location. I have to go there some time, hopefully I will have the time and money to afford it.

That's awesome... as is pretty much everything else in this thread. Doom never fails to surprise me.