Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

What do the monsters say?

Before further reading please bear in mind that I speak perfect Polish, have a good knowledge of Spanish and some English.
Cyberdemon - this is obvious, he says "moo" upon seeing you. This is phonetically the same word in every language I know. Why does he say it - THIS is not obvious for me.
Hell Knight - when dying he says "agua" ("water" in Spanish) with a perfect (beg your pardon) voiced velar fricative ɣ.
Spider mastermind - My imagination of course, but upon seeing you: "where were you?" in a squeaky voice.
Arch-Vile - I read somewhere it's a distorted "why" but I don't hear it.
Mancubus - nothing meaningful, what I hear is "aboohaha" (before firing its missiles).

What do you hear? Waiting for impressions :)

vdgg said:

Cyberdemon[/b] - this is obvious, he says "moo" upon seeing you. This is phonetically the same word in every language I know. Why does he say it - THIS is not obvious for me.

You have a lot of imagination.
I would have never guessed that the Spider Mastermind asked you where you have been. I only always heard a screechy noise.

I sometimes hear the Mancubus calling the player an "ANIMAL!", which could actually be fitting since the demons could see you as another race that they don`t perceive as a human being. Of course I also heard the mancubus saying "IM UR MOM!", but I think that many people pointed this out already. (=

esselfortium said:

The colored girls - Doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot da doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot

Pretty clearly we've got a couple of Demons and what I guess might be a Baron? There's some infighting going on.

While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Listen carefully for his caw.

st.alfonzo said:

While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Listen carefully for his caw.

Then you better tell perkristian about that find if you're serious, he's making a hi-res doom sound pack.

Hell's Vendetta said:

Then you better tell perkristian about that find if you're serious, he's making a hi-res doom sound pack.

Don't the Doom 3 revenants use the same source as the Doom 2 ones? They sound so similar...

vdgg said:
Hell Knight - when dying he says "agua" ("water" in Spanish) with a perfect (beg your pardon) voiced velar fricative ɣ.

To me it's more like "awawah!"

Mancubus - nothing meaningful, what I hear is "aboohaha" (before firing its missiles).

I always hear "hungry vowel!"

I think mancubi say their name. I've assumed that their species name derives from their grumbles.

For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said "Gestapo" when spotting you and "I'm leaving" when they die.

PRIMEVAL said:

For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said "Gestapo" when spotting you and "I'm leaving" when they die.

To my ears it's "two shovels" and "I'm bleeding".

PRIMEVAL said:
For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said [...] "I'm leaving" when they die.

Yeah, me too, during my pre-internet DOOMing period.

When I use zDoom with Doom 1, it assigns various, Russian sounding noises to the monsters. Barons shout something like 'Ganz-free!', and I'm convinced that imps say, 'Yer mamma' when they die.

vdgg said:

To me it sounds like "hump dee dump" whenever I face a Mancubus.

Here's what I hear from all the monsters:

Monster     See         Pain*    Death            Attack**
-------------------------------------------------------------
Imp         Hahhhhhh             Moo/Rehh
Demon       nnn-BARK             Krow-kow*kaput*  Sarggg
Lost Soul   (none)               Chah             Hahhhh
Cacodemon   Hisssss              Mwwwahhh
PE          Ro-meh-ro^  Bow!     Boom-da-boom-HAH 
Hellknight  WORRRK               Oww-wah
Revenant    Crahhh               Crick            WHOO*psh*
Arachnotron Shhrreee             Chowwww          Choichoichoi
Mancubus    GluuROTCH   Muuwahh  Boool*schploik*  Mancubuthhh!
Baron       WARRRRRR             Browwwwn
Arch-vile   BRWRWRWREE  Owww!    Vwar-no-why!?    Baaake*KABISH*
Cyberdemon  Moooo!               SCHNARFF*boom!*  Poofwah (x3)
Spiderdemon Wer-WEE-Wer          Chowww*FWOOM*    Chuggachugga

Monster     Active***
-------------------------------
Imp         Crock-ko-ka-lee
Revenant    Howwww
Arch-vile   Hoomp-da-hah-hahhh
* Pain - Most monsters say "Hawww"
** Attack - Most monsters firing go "Narff*whoosh*"
*** Active - Most monsters say "Hurr-da-hurrr"
^ Romero vehemently denies that the PE says his name but I will always hear it ;)

It's interesting to question what those monster sounds were based on, or what other games use similar sounds, especially where unexpected. Both from Doom 1, 2 and 3:

(just before anyone posts without reading this completely, I DO know Doom sounds are from a common source, no need to reiterate this for me)

- The imp shorter death sound, when pitched up by 100%, sounds just like a Diablo 2 goat man pain sound
- The Doom 3 pinky-demon sight sound is VERY much like a Heretic Maulotaur - which I'd guess it's commonly used for LIONS, not bulls, in cinema.
- Similarly, Doom 1 demons sound too much like lions, with all their sounds. They're such good quality that when I walked in a park I suddenly heard a beastly noise, which included clips from the Demon death sound. I would have guessed it was a speaker, but I wasn't quite sure, so I turned back. Thankfully I wasn't the target of the prank.
- For me the imp sight sound was always like a man's whisper (which is odd, because imps are monsters, not humans to do whispers), and the active sound like a human snoring.
- Lost souls, again like a high pitched whisper, yet it's a supposedly voiceless burning skull.
- The second former human sight sound is commonly used for SOME OF THE MOST VICIOUS monsters in cinema. There's a less known movie about tornadoes, and one of them makes noises just like the former human! I'm fully aware of this Sound Ideas commonness, but still, think about a growling tornado. Also, no wonder the cyberdemon death sound makes you think he turned into a former human when dying.
- I just love the draconic sabreclaw song.
- Cyberdemons really sound like some big one on high notes, or a big woman saying BLOOOOOO.
- Their walk sound is more like hammering a nail, than actual robo-walker.

I'm tired, so this is all.

Quasar said:

Here's what I hear from all the monsters:

That's some nice onomatopoeia

Except I heard the archvile having a pain sound more like "AAAhhnnn!" more so than "owww!"

Also I've always wondered how people are able to detect that the archvile's death sound is a mutated version of a girl saying "why", because I dont hear it at all.