Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Community Effort DM wad

Could I have a complete link to where to upload it Katgut, or anyone else who knows where to send wads now to incoming?

Woah...this idea kicks ass. I might just mess around with the skeleton wads for Hell's sake and do a wad or two, seein as I know how to edit, but lack the motivation or skill required to build a wad from the ground up.

Yes, well, I'd upload a skeleton wad but alas I know not the full url for the new /incoming folder as it's not on cdrom.com anymore.

I can send it to you via aim or email if you like. It's really, very basic. Just a room with a few windows. I've already fleshed it out and finished it, so if you want I can send you the Finished version as well.

I kinda like this idea because I'm the same way. I'm too lazy to start a wad and finish it. 95% of the wads I start I don't finish and most are just a beginning and then I lose inspiration. So now I can just start a wad and then upload it and hope someone else will finish it :p. Also, I like working on wads that have just been started. If you do do a skeleton wad, I'd like to have a go at it. You can email it to me if you ever do one.

SSSHHhhhh!! You're not supposed to say that. You're supposed to say: Great idea!! I'm gonna make a skeleton wad right now!! See, it's more fun if you say that instead.

Just made another skeleton wad.

Come on people, you know you want to do this. You know you do. Just reach deep down inside and pull out some DM genius that you know is just itching to come out and just needs the right outlet. If you like starting from scratch, then start a wad from scratch and leave it 1/4 way finished. If you like spawning ideas off of the creations of others, then download some skeleton wads, I've made two so far.

SSSHHhhhh!! You're not supposed to say that. You're supposed to say: Great idea!! I'm gonna make a skeleton wad right now!! See, it's more fun if you say that instead.

Bliss is wonderfull isn't it?

I uploaded 3 Skeleton wads to /incoming and 1 Finished wad. Let's hope they show up in Newstuff tomorrow or soon there after.

I dunno, was it the exact same idea or something similar? I had an idea for adding a room and then resubmitting and then adding another room and then resubmitting so that you end up with a multi authored wad.

yeah

the whole multiple-deaths-a-week thing really slows my productivity down

i pick up chicks by saying im part of team insanity, and this disability makes them beleive me! RAWFUL!

no, seriously tho, im like the kenny of the doom community.
bad shit happens to me.

no, seriously tho, im like the kenny of the doom community.
bad shit happens to me.

Heh...yeah...you post a new worst-case-scenario that actualy happened to you about once a week in R&P.

yeah

i should post stories about all my broken bones

like the time I broke my leg (broken in a few places; so bad my heel touched the small of my back) or my arm (during a sled race, I hit a ramp, flew thru the air, and landed on a large rock, smashing my collarbone and coming within an inch of breaking my neck)

I've been making wads like crazy lately, and every once in a while I feel like there are so many ways I can take a wad, and wonder at what others might be able to think of. So I implore once again that people take interest in this idea. I say screw the rules I had tried to write up and just edit it however you want and call it whatver you want. Just make a note in the text file that you modified someone elses map. As far as where to upload? I have a place now. So just email your 'skeletons' and 'finished' wads to me and i'll upload em and everyone can then dl em.

Yeah man. I actually started a couple of the levels that are gonna be in Millenium. Lüt finished/edited them. (He deserves most of the credit.) It's the way to go. I tend to come up with a lot of ideas, and he's the architect who makes them a reality.

Now if I could just find a major software developer who's got an opening for the "idea man" position...

/me wakes from dream

Why not pour all your effort into freedoom instead? :P

That was a JOKE, I don't expect you to.

--

I don't think you should upload skeleton (effectively incomplete) wads to incoming- only the finished levels should be there. But since you uploaded to cdrom.com which isn't an active mirror anymore, it doesn't matter that much I suppose.

The whole idea of a community DM wad is brilliant. I love the thought of someone uploading some small bit of a level they did, and others building off of it. Different expressions inspired by the same scene.

That's what I can do - create scenes. I've also just had ideas for levels with things like linear gameplay, like nearly every second you do something that triggers another event, but it's always just leading you forward: Shoot a former human, but the wall behind him is a shot activated switch that opens a to a room with an imp and when you walk in a lift suddenly drops before you from a line trigger and on and on (it's probably been done before anyway).

I also once had this idea of a subway with tunnels that start out with normal rails and walls but progress into cracked and bent rails with blood stained walls. Everything would get dark progressively and at the end all the tunnels (secret passageways link them) would lead to one chamber that's a nest of some sort. Like a final fight with 6 barons or something (and of course the level would need some classic ambushes like I experienced in parts of Alien Vendetta). I think most of my ideas lean towards straightforward action gaming. I like to feel like there's a flow you can go with. That's probably the music talking.

If I wasn't so tired right now I'd make a skeleton wad. I know when I wake up later I'll probably have other things on my mind, but one day I'll get an idea and send it out in skeleton form. I had one that I was playing around with a couple weeks ago in my mind, think I might still be able to pull something from it.

This is one of my favorite ideas I've been exposed to since I started reading these forums. Rock on Hellbent.

(For Leather?)

Nice avatar too, I'm an LOTR freak.

Edit: Oh yeah and I just remembered, this whole idea is perfect for people like me who seriously intend to create something but lack the drive (aka I'm a lazy buns). No deadlines, hooray!

I clicked on this in the long list of urls that's in my address bar on my taskbar - so I don't know what I'm replying to, but I'll try to guess a reply that would be appropriate.

RE: I agree, but this tends to be a sensitive issue among most people, especially those in the DOOM community.

Wow, finally someone who understands where I'm coming from! Thank you Vominous!

The whole idea of a community DM wad is brilliant. I love the thought of someone uploading some small bit of a level they did, and others building off of it. Different expressions inspired by the same scene....

-------

This is one of my favorite ideas I've been exposed to since I started reading these forums. Rock on Hellbent.

--

Edit: Oh yeah and I just remembered, this whole idea is perfect for people like me who seriously intend to create something but lack the drive (aka I'm a lazy buns). No deadlines, hooray!

Yes, this is one of the big reasons behind me pushing this idea so much. But you mentioned the thing that really drives me to push this idea: I can't plan out maps before I make em. I've tried, but I just can't. So what I do is I just start drawing sectors, get an idea and start working from the ideas that start to form. But with every wad I start, I feel like there are so many things I could do with the start of the map. Also, I'm just very curious to see what others come up with from the skeleton (base) wad. And furthermore, I like editing a skeleton someone else has started.

But right now I've been making wads from scratch and finishing em in good time. All DM maps. Been averaging about 5 maps a week. So at the present, I'm not itchin' to get skeleton wads to work on or to share skeleton wads with people. But it would still be fun if this could ever take off.

well too bad no one feels like participating, so what are you to do?