Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

cheap shit

to show how cheap my school is here is a story. our school is teaching animation, the 3d kind, useing Imacs. Imacs are not made for that. Imacs are the most horrible thing mac has made. every other computer has died, one caught fire. they always run out of memmory and or freeze. and they get very slow and hot, hence the fire. i dont really have a problem with macs but jesus fuck'n christ these shity things cant be used here. it would be reasonable if they had gotten some G4's and even better if they got newer PC's. the funny thing is the teacher things they are good computers, this come from a person who thought that more memory could be added with a flip of the switch. anyway i think i will bring in my laptop to finish my project. hell it is a 650 and it has twice as much power as those damn things

Did it fill the room with toxic fumes and smoke? That's be fun to watch. My old Tech Ed. Teacher called 'em Macintrash. I agree.

Heh in just a few weeks, we get new 1ghz Athlons with 256mb RAM, 32mb video cards, Windows 2000... life is good :D

i'd pay to see a mac on fire;)

Me too!

And me. In fact, that's one of MANY things I'd like to see catch fire.
Other things include:
Osama Bin Laden
John Romero's Hair
A Strawberry Pop-Tart in a toaster
A Couch
A Pile of Beanie Babies
Fuckmordeth

the list goes on.

Oh, BBG. I got my hands on a digital camera. I'll send a picture of myself for you to add to your doomers section.

And me. In fact, that's one of MANY things I'd like to see catch fire.
Other things include:

John Romero's Hair

It already did.

Didn't catch fire, GOT CUT OFF.

Looks bad enough to say it caught on fire. And Romero does look like a big flaming homosexual now :P

And Romero does look like a big flaming homosexual now :P

And...?

*Drumbeat

Thank you folks, and for my next joke...

...And this is underlined in yellow, purty

EDIT: not anymore, damn.

...the Hell?

hell it is a 650 and it has twice as much power as those damn things

Not neccesarily. You cant straight-off compare the MHz on PowerPC and x86 chips because they're totally different architectures.

Oh and macs arent cheap shit, they're very expensive shit :)

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, the motorola chips usually have higher IPC than the x86 chips. But the x86 chips scale to such higher clock speeds (even the relatively low-clocked Athlon is up to 1.9Ghz - no, I'm not talking about the XP1900+, which runs at 1.6Ghz) that it really doesn't matter, and there's an abundance of PC software that the Mac platform will never know.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, the motorola chips usually have higher IPC than the x86 chips. But the x86 chips scale to such higher clock speeds (even the relatively low-clocked Athlon is up to 1.9Ghz - no, I'm not talking about the XP1900+, which runs at 1.6Ghz) that it really doesn't matter, and there's an abundance of PC software that the Mac platform will never know.

Theregister (yes, sorry, I know its shit) has some interesting insider information on the new PowerPC chips under development:

GHz 1.2 1.4 1.6

SpecInt2000 987 1151 1340

SpecFP2000 1005 1173 1359

(sorry if the tables screwed up, you can work it out anyway)

By comparison, Intel's 2GHz Pentium 4 has recorded SpecInt2000 and SpecFP2000 scores of 656 and 714, respectively, according to www.specbench.org If accurate, the G5 figures are impressive indeed.

So according to them, a 1.2Ghz PowerPC 'G5' outperforms a 2GHz P4. The reliability of the sources is questionable of course, but if its true, its impressive.

That's impressive. I suppose Apple's gotten off their high-horse and are using active cooling now?

I'd like to see the numbers on an AthlonXP at 2Ghz.

Rough equivalence formula between the chips in Mac G4s and an Intel P4:

(s_P4 * n_P4 * (1 - 20/n_P4)) = (s_M * n_M) * 0.75 + .6

where all speeds are in gigahertz, and making the (possibly wrong) assumption that Macs are more efficient about dual-processor design than Intel is.

This is roughly correct, though. A high-end G4 (dual 800MHz processors) is about as fast as either a dual P4 1.0GHz or a P4 at 1.8GHz. (Or an Athlon at 1.44GHz - multiply P4 results by about .8 for Athlons, and drop the (1 - 20/n_P4) term, I think.)

If anyone wants to complain and say that I'm underestimating P4 performance (or Athlon performance), go ahead.

You realize you just broke my head.

Care to define your variables, there? What're you talking about?!? ::lost:: @_@

Both the G4s and the Athlons are more efficient in multi-processor configurations than the Intel designs.