Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chronohunter45

D00M Box Art Tattoo (Updated 8 Sep 2010)

Greetings! Here's a little something I've been working on. I'll just leave these here...

I'm getting more work done on it tomorrow evening. Hopefully it will be the last session, but I may need to go back for one more. So far, it's taken 2 sessions at about 5 to 6 hours a session.

Cool man! I'd be scared to rely on someone to draw something that artsy on me but so far it looks great

Wait, Duke Nukem getting a Doom tattoo? Something about that sounds rather bizarre. I can just imagine you pointing to it and saying "that's one doomed space marine" to whoever asks about it.

Bad jokes aside, it's shaping up really nicely. I'm not brave enough to have something like that done, i'd be worried it'll come out totally different.

Six said:

Wait, Duke Nukem getting a Doom tattoo? Something about that sounds rather bizarre. I can just imagine you pointing to it and saying "that's one doomed space marine" to whoever asks about it.

Bad jokes aside, it's shaping up really nicely. I'm not brave enough to have something like that done, i'd be worried it'll come out totally different.

Ha, ironically enough, that's one of the nicknames that my unit has given me. They either call me Duke Nukem, Col. Guile, "Sonic Boom", or "Time to Kill".

I'm heading back up into Mass. today to hopefully get it finished. I'll post another shot late tonight.

Clonehunter said:

Your unit? Are you a trooper?

Hmm...I thought many of you knew that already from all of the old IRC channels and Teamspeak servers, but perhaps that was more the Zdaemon community rather than Doomworld...

Yeah, I work as a Staff Sergeant for the USAF, doing work on C-5s as an electrician/avionics tech. Been doing it for five years strong now.

I used to be way more active in the D00M community in my younger years, but with all of life's matters and challenges I haven't been able to do so. I rarely have time to modify game content anymore, let alone make a single map (which was what I used to do all the time).

Hopefully life will slow down eventually so I can get back into doing some of those things. In the meantime, I'll pop up every once in a while to post here.

Six said:

This. And it means you are awesome Chronohunter45. Imagine playing Duke Nukem 3D and reaching the secret where the doomguy is dying, what a beautiful mise en abyme.

That's one kick-ass tattoo, my man! I love it.

Your tattoo-artist has some serious skills. It looks amazing..!

Easily the coolest Doom tattoo ever, and it's not even finished. Seriously. You're probably the first person to get a Doom Tattoo that hasn't made me think Lamesauce. Radically the opposite, total awesomeness.

POTGIESSER said:

You're probably the first person to get a Doom Tattoo that hasn't made me think Lamesauce.

40oz doesn't think so...

Just got some more work done:

The guy I go to is up in Easthampton, Mass. His name is Tim Seneca, and he works at "Off The Map Tattoo". He's an excellent tattoo artist and truly is a master of his craft. They have a website, too. Google for it when you get the chance, or pm me and we can make the trip up there if you're down for it.

Unfortunately, there will be no Donna.

Personally I'd be too embarrassed to get a tattoo of a video game... but damn, that is the best tattoo art I've ever seen.

That looks incredible. Seriously, tip your tattoo guy generously. That is pretty much a perfect recreation so far.

holy wow, that is a lot more colorful than I was expecting.

Chronohunter45 said:

Unfortunately, there will be no Donna.

You mean the second marine from the box art, from the back, who indeed doesn't appear on your tattoo? ("Donna to the Resque" the MIDI track from E3M2)

Nomad said:

That looks incredible. Seriously, tip your tattoo guy generously. That is pretty much a perfect recreation so far.

Oh, I have been. So far the total cost has been $1,400, plus $240 in tips. So after three sessions, the overall cost has been $1,640.

printz said:

You mean the second marine from the box art, from the back, who indeed doesn't appear on your tattoo? ("Donna to the Resque" the MIDI track from E3M2)

Yeah, we had to cut some of the stuff out to get it to fit on my arm (my arms aren't that big). We also moved some of the demons around as well. Overall, it is still a very faithful recreation. Look at a picture of the original box art and compare. You'll see what I mean.

That looks far better than I imagined the box art would for a tattoo. I once considered an adaption of the Baphomet but like others have said I worried too much that the artist would either screw it up or be too inclined to follow their own vision.

I'm not one for tattoos, but that looks really cool! Also bonus points for the Fifth Element poster :P