Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Signature Moves

Gez said:

Crowdsurfing: requires a port that allows finitely-tall monsters and jumping (relatively easy with ZDoom, possible as well but harder to pull off with Eternity).

Actually, I think it's easier with Eternity. ZDoom seems to prevent you from jumping over a monster if he's right next to you, whereas Eternity keeps the vanilla behavior of conserving player's energy if he's pushing an actor, so an airborne player will just thrust forward. See my Eternity forum thread about this.

4mer said:

The Somebody needs a hug
Run up to a pain elemental and hug it to stop it attacking you.

I was thinking about this one but that's less of a move as much as it is just an exploit in its behavior. Of course I thought of something along the lines of "the painful hug" or something hug related as well.

RjY said:

Icon of Win — monster infighting accidentally destroys an exposed boss brain, long after your death

This is super unlikely but the name is adorable.

Medi-Vision
When you die and your corpse slides to a stop in such a way that your viewport is completely filled with the medikit that would have saved you.

A Different Kind of Telefrag
Taking advantage of the fact that projectiles can teleport in WWHC-Diaz, defeat a horde of monsters by lobbing grenades through the teleport instead of walking in yourself.

The One-Two Punch
Both co-op players are out of ammo and there's a nasty boss in the very next room. So one player spawns in, runs up to the boss and starts punching it. While he's punching the boss, the other player spawns and makes his way to the room, which tends to be exactly when the first player inevitably dies. This process continues repeating until either the boss is dead, one player or the other gets ammo for a suitable weapon, or both players say "Fuck this" and quit.

Sibling Rivalry
When both co-op players momentarily get bored of fighting monsters, go to a cleared room, and merely begin punching each other repeatedly. (Best results if team damage is off and blood decals are on.)

AFK Hazing
With at least three players, if one player leaves the keyboard, the remaining players begin punching the AFK player until the wall behind them turns red (best results if decals are on, obviously).

Nice Job Breaking It, Hero
When a big monster is guarding a switch, dealing enough damage to them that blood decals cover the switch behind them, causing you to not realize that there is a switch anymore. (This is the only reason I can think of to disable decals)

Man-Tower
In a port that allows crouching (or jumping high enough to stand on other players): have one player crouch, then jump on top of him and have him stand up. This can be done as much as needed for additional players, as long as the player on top of the tower shifts over a bit to give you enough room on his bounding box to stand on the guy he's standing on. Using this technique, and with enough players, you can theoretically reach anything. (I estimate it would take a full 16-player server to do this to the Icon of Sin)

Too long, didn't read, lol. What I mean, didn't read the thread, so I don't know if these "moves" have been mentioned:

Polite Exterminator:
Keep firing at the enemy/enemies, only moving when absolutely necessary. I also call this the "demoman" as it reminds me of the stock demo behavior, for some reason.

Full Auto:
1. Fire chaingun at a high-pain-chance enemy in single combat.
2. Wait until it dies.

King's Sword of Haste:
Shoot at a tight doorway, when enemies come running one after the another in an attempt to come near you. Result is legions of monsters dead, with not a single scratch on you.

Nice Job Breaking It, Hero
When a big monster is guarding a switch, dealing enough damage to them that blood decals cover the switch behind them, causing you to not realize that there is a switch anymore. (This is the only reason I can think of to disable decals)

Guilty as charged. Even been stuck for hours in Demons of Problematique 2 due to that.

Do The Chainsaw Waltz: When chainsawing some higher tier monsters, I found that sidestrafing/turning lightly seems to keep them more under control -especially cacodemons/mancs/revenants. With pinkies, it pays to be steadier instead.

Syrtos-Koftos Dance: Named after a folk dance of my land, which means "Dragging-Abruptly cut", it's done by keeping monsters with high pain chance "in check" or "dragging them" by tapping the chaingun -thus doing damage in bursts of 2, accurate hits each time. This seems to inflict high pain much more often. This causes monsters to "drag" and then stop "abruptly" in pain until they die, pretty much like the dancers :-p

Poor Relatives: Seems to be exactly what's going on with pinkies and spectres sometimes -they generally make poor infighters because when they try to retaliate, other monsters just move to their own business and don't seem to mind the pinkies uselessly growling, trying to bite their asses. Hence, it seems that none gives a shit about pinkies or spectres, as if they were poor relatives or something.

possessing the possessed
(this requires a port that allows jumping and finitely tall monsters(and some pratice))
jump on top of a zombie (especially a chaingunner), who is not aware that you're near,when he starts shooting, he will not be able to shoot at you, but he will shoot in your direction.
then carefully, take small steps on his head and he will shoot in the direction you go, to leave him jump back and give him a headshot with a shotgun
it worked for me in zen dynamics map 2(using zdoom) and made me laugh the crap off

The style'o'meter is registering off the chart figures, captain!

• The Silence of the Lambs:
    Hannibal's favourite. During the split second after a monster has been killed, the door or crusher under which it is standing closes/compresses, and the victim's scream is abruptly cut off. The official version of this move requires the player to deliver the killing blow. However, the otherwise best orchestrated example of this move can be witnessed during the secret level of TEETH.wad, a level from the Doom II Master Levels, in which an entire horde of Cyberdemons is crushed in unity. The rockets stop flying, the stomping ceases, and all is silence... the Silence of the Lambs.

• Paper Bullets
    (Alternative: Pixel sniping; Peeping Tom)
    To snipe successfully at monsters or players with the Pistol or Chaingun weapons through a gap 1 pixel wide.

• The Screaming Lobster [5*]
    (Alternative: The Flying Man from Dorset)
    An almost Impossible move to perform. The only successful recording of this move was made in the fall of 1995 by an un-named marine from Dorset, who receded into obscurity following the event to refine his skills and recover from the countless hours poured into its preparation. He hasn't been heard from since:

The player is positioned within a triad of Archviles (Archviles "A", "B" and "C"), but close enough to one Archvile (Archvile "A") such that both the player and that Archvile are touching. All three Archviles begin channelling their immolation attacks one after the other. A distant Cyberdemon, meanwhile, begins firing at the player the moment he is struck by the first immolation attack from "A", such that the rocket collides with that Archvile instead of the player. The player is then sent flying into the air in the direction of Archvile "B", and, upon landing, is once again propelled forward in the direction of "C". Archvile "B", like "A", takes the Cyberdemon's second fired rocket, and subsequently "C", like both its accomplices, takes the 3rd. All three Archviles are killed in the process, and the player proceeds to fist the Cyberdemon to death (Berserker Pack optional), preferably in two to three hits. Requires maximum health and armor.

This Signature Move has been given a 5 star rating by the DSA (Doom Signature Association), and has been deemed "unsafe" in accordance with the Doom Protections Act of 1996. Player discretion is advised.

The Amazing Flying/Frying Marine: also known as the Archvile Jump Gone Nightmare. When there are so many archviles attacking you that you're practically kept permanently airborne by the explosions, but you can still move somewhat. Most easily seen in NUTS.WAD and similarly styled maps. Of course, you need to be even temporarily invincible to survive that. On NUTS.WAD you can just "fly" to the exit switches in that way.

Rocket Pinning: similar to the above, but caused by ridiculous number of Cyberdemons targetting you at once and keeping you pinned to a wall, possibly airborne. You can't control your "flight" as well as with the archviles, but you can "travel" along walls and even reach high ledges.

Action and Reaction: when there are so many chaingunners shooting you, that you are practically pushed back by the momentum of the projectyles.

Shotgun Sergeant's Hot Manly Lead: Sometimes you just eat the whole 45 of max damage from a measly shotgunner, which tasted like a wad of bitter cum to your face. You're pushed back and you redden quite intensely, usually taking a while to realize what hit you.

Chainsaw Constipation: works best on vanilla Doom with a low number of audio mixing channels: select the chainsaw and walk on a damaging floor: Doomguy's pain sound will sound choked and shortened yet coming at longer intervals than when under a crusher. It will sound as if he was struggling to pass a particularly hard turd with a lot of pain, abdominal cramps and teeth clenching.

Dunno if this was posted or not (Kind of tl;dr'd after a couple posts) It's late. ADD's kicking in. Squirrel.

Cominacha Route a revenant homing rocket into another enemy to cause a fight.

Telefraggot
After your co-op partner steps into a teleporter, immediately follow, killing the player instantly. Cause rage.

Ketchup
I manage to dodge a projectile, but for some stupid fucking reason, will either back into or strafe into it anyways. Usually results in me becoming a puddle of nothing.

A quick ZDoom one:

The McFly
It's a slaughtermap and you find yourself cornered by a horde of hundreds of demons. The only way you can go is blocked by a horde coming the other way. You jump, bound across the heads of all your aggressors and watch the infighting begin!
First used in Titan 2 MAP07.

My one is practically what alot of others would do.

Double-Edge Alliance and the Punch
You are running around a map (Slaughter or no) and at end of sights you have a few barons coming from each direction while you dodge Cyberdemon rockets, you run in all the directions of the Barons whilst dodging some rockets which aim straight at the barons, once at all the directions the barons stood will cause an infight, Cyb gets hit a few and charges towards the Barons... The Conclusion- Cyb is left with little health and barons are gone, he was a good friend and now must perish by your fists.

dew said:

door blazing[/b]
the few backward steps you make during some slow doors opening so you can rush in with full speed and feel boss.

I always assumed that wasn't any faster than just sr50'ing against the door while you're waiting for it to open, but apparently door blazing is faster for me by about 0:00.03 or so, if timed correctly. :)

st.alfonzo said:

Doppler Rocket Punch

I might add that the "Doppler BFG Punch" is completely awesome in slaughter maps like Sunder and such. It's extremely satisfying to gib hundreds of monsters instantaneously.

Demon Dancing

This is probably well-known by many Doom players, basically it involves backing yourself into a corner or against a wall while taking on hordes of Demons and "dancing" back and forth with repeated taps on the keyboard. This brings them into performing the attack sequence on you, which is just barely dodged by your dancing, and further prevents them from moving temporarilly. The end effect of this is like the most violent person in the mosh pit; he has his own personal circle around him, even though everyone wants to kick his ass but they can't reach him because his limbs are flying around everywhere.

Anyone who's performed Tyson runs in maps with lots of demons will testify to the necessity of honing this ability. If you are good at it, you can take on hordes of demons at close range and against a wall using only a pistol or your fists, which is the second most Doom thing ever.

ArmouredBlood said:

Cyber doubleshot[/B]
Dancing with a cyber, starting the bfg shot on his second rocket, dodging in on the third, and getting right in his face just after that to get a full bfg blast. If done correctly, lone cybers stand no chance and the sheer efficiency of the move allows a little spamming later on.

The BFG impact of this when done properly can propel a cyberdemon away from you at high speed. This is useful for pushing them into pits where you can easily kill them.

Polevaulting

Allowing an Archvile to blast you into the air so you can jump over hordes of monsters to get to the Archvile and kill him. Requires source ports.

I can't think of a clever name for this one, but when encountering 2 to 4 pinkys, shoot each one twice with a regular shotgun to wear them down. Then line them all up and take down all of them at once with a single finishing shotgun shot.

Good news everyone. A video is in the works! The main post will be updated with a feature length put-together of all our favourite signature moves, plus ludicrous scoring system! stay tuned.

40oz said:

when encountering 2 to 4 pinkys, shoot each one twice with a regular shotgun to wear them down. Then line them all up and take down all of them at once with a single finishing shotgun shot.

I hate myself for this one. I'm totally compulsive about doing it even in situations where it's far too dangerous to perform, or where time would otherwise just be wasted; and especially when the monsters I'm doing it to are Zombies, Mancubi etc... Nonetheless:

• Tossed Salad:
    (Alternative: Hot Turkey; Sesame Street)
    Of circling, firing at and consequently wounding multiple monsters to the point that lining them up and delivering a single shot from the Shotgun or Super Shotgun kills all of them at once.

TimeOfDeath said:
I always assumed that wasn't any faster than just sr50'ing against the door while you're waiting for it to open, but apparently door blazing is faster for me by about 0:00.03 or so, if timed correctly. :)

possibly the best map for measuring the difference would be doom2 map31 with -nomonsters. it's the ultimate sr50/door opening test. the way my sr50 and mouse sensitivity is set up, my whole right arm hurts like a bitch after half an hour of furious strafing. here, try beating my time before the carpal tunnel syndrome gets you. :)

Maes said:

Not in vanilla Doom -with the vanilla RNG there's no possible trasversal of the RNG table that would give 300 damage from the SSG, if you take into account how the RNG is used (4 RNG entries go to spread, and one to damage. Repeat 20 times). In source ports, that's another story.

Yes, I never play with complevels unless I'm recording something. Even then I've only seen it happen about twice in over a decade, most recently in Drip Feed.

40oz said:

This is super unlikely but the name is adorable.

Yes, it requires a favourable level layout such as the last map of Sector 666 (the only place it's ever happened to me)

40oz said:

I can't think of a clever name for this one, but when encountering 2 to 4 pinkys, shoot each one twice with a regular shotgun to wear them down. Then line them all up and take down all of them at once with a single finishing shotgun shot.

Scottish Doom or Finnish Frugality in honor of Jodwin would be adequate, because that way you don't waste a SINGLE PELLET THAT MIGHT INSTEAD HIT THE WALLS!!!! NOOBZ!!!

st.alfonzo said:

Good news everyone. A video is in the works! The main post will be updated with a feature length put-together of all our favourite signature moves, plus ludicrous scoring system! stay tuned.

Nice! Can I help? Would you like me to record some demos?

Yup, that would get the ball rolling a bit faster: I'm not exactly the bee’s knees when it comes to executing some of the moves. In fact, I'm quite poor. Send in a demo and I’ll smack’em all together into something delicious.

That goes for all of you, by the way. Oh, and also:

• Frogger:
    (Alternative: Highway Crossing)
    When large scale infighting results in a relentless barrage of projectile fire from opposite ends of any given room, the player is said to have committed a “Frogger” after successfully having navigated through the room’s centre without sustaining any damage whatsoever.

• The Avant-garde [Combo]:
    The successful exectuion of any 3 different signature moves in a single battle.

If you're any good at video editing I could just record some short .AVIs of me performing some of the moves?

Even better, yes. I'll leave it up to you whether to conduct each move as a seperate .avi or not. If it's the latter then I'll just pick apart the noted highlights and work from there.

Happy hunting!

Just came up with another one:

One-Two-One-Two Combo - When faced against groups of low tier monsters and sporting a berserk pack, hold down the fire key and land 4 punches consecutively without a single missed swing and without taking damage.