Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Do you kill every monster?

Perhaps. If I have good enough weapons to match the enemies' strength, yeah. If it's those wads where you must face a group of six Barons of Hell with a shotgun and a chaingun, nope.

I never get hunting corner after corner to finish with 100%. Killing any monster that I find in my line of sight while exploring the map is enough. As mentioned, I only evade them when my weapons doesn't matches to their resistence, and I'm sure that the fight will become a boring endless fight.

EDIT: Also, I must mention that I love wads like Hacx wich have breakable decoration objects. I get the fists, and start breaking everything with my bare hands. That's very satisfacting.

I only skip monsters if either they're a type I really, really hate or if I'm low on health/ammo.

bgraybr said:
When you play through a wad, do you try to kill every monster?

That makes it sound like playing a WAD is a matter of playing though it and moving on to something else. As far as I'm concerned, much more can be done with a good level or level set.

The first time I play, I just aim to get to the exit, without dying if possible, but I'm often not too quick about it due to being careful, so the kills generally get pretty high. In particularly linear levels, kills tend toward 100%.

Sometimes I visit WADs again, as if it were a "first play-through" if I've kind of forgotten about them. The results are similar.

With WADs I'm familiar with, I set objectives, which may or may not include 100% kills. Occasionally these efforts turn into demos submitted to the community.

I kill all the ones that I come across in the name of self-preservation, and I hunt down the ones I can hear grumbling because I expect them to hunt ME down if I don't settle it first. That & I need some peace and quiet to explore the level.

but if things are getting hairy and I can see the exit door/tele all bets are off.. I don't much play UV for 100% scores, just wanna survive the battles so I can "win the war" at the end of the episode/megawad.

bgraybr said:

When you play through a wad, do you try to kill every monster?

Very first time through, usually no.
But if it's got good replay value, and not crazy-restrictive on ammo, then yes, all hostiles get wiped in subsequent playthroughs.
On the other hand I actually feel guilty if I hurt non-hostiles, like the dogs in Boom/MBF, pedestrians in GTA, etc... sometimes I'll even replay a mission just to avoid it. %)

Ledmeister said:

On the other hand I actually feel guilty if I hurt non-hostiles, like the dogs in Boom/MBF, pedestrians in GTA, etc... sometimes I'll even replay a mission just to avoid it. %)

Haha, yes, I felt the same way about the Nali Cows in Unreal. In one map (Na Pali Haven) it was really difficult to avoid one of them being killed, but I found that you could save the animal's life by just firing a small weapon at its feet, although that meant it would wail at you for quite a while afterwards. Edit: My memory was failing me here: it's actually a Nali (not a cow) in that map for which that applies (and he runs after you shouting "Qupada!"). It was instead a firefight in that map that required careful planning if a cow wasn't to be harmed.

But the mimes in Blood were another matter, naturally.

Ledmeister said:

O_o Running over pedestrians is one of the most amusing things you can do in GTA.

Yes, I kill all the monsters, as much as possible. In Speed of Doom map 25, some of the teleporting cacos where playing a game in their box that forbade them to teleport.

I try to kill as many as I can if I have the health and ammo to spare. But it's rare for me to get 100% kills unless I already know where the enemies are.

Ledmeister said:

Yeah, I try to avoid killing neutral and allied NPCs if possible. Sometimes I even go out of my way to save them. I think the only exceptions were the jailed marines in Quake 2 and that was more of a mercy killing, the poor bastards.

I might be the only respondent of this thread so far who always watches demos first before playing anything - excluding playtesting. I guess this habit is derived from my hardcore demo watching, which I've harbored for more than a decade. It also means that I rarely have any interest in playing finished wads that do not have any demos recorded. Thankfully, those are rather rare.

So, there rarely is any instance in my Doom playing where I need to think about what I need to do in a certain situation, since I already have ideas from the demos that I've watched.

bgraybr said:

O_o Running over pedestrians is one of the most amusing things you can do in GTA.

Wellll, okay, I'm not so innocent outside of story mode and free roam.
I used to play Vigilante-mode games for hours in GTA3, where you'd get a variable time limit to eradicate fleeing criminals, while avoiding cops and your own death.
Trying to beat previous high scores without running out of time led to many an innocent NPC mowed down, blown up, etc.
Soo, yeah... Wanna make an omelette, gotta break some eggs. ;)

Qaatar said:
It also means that I rarely have any interest in playing finished wads that do not have any demos recorded.

I kind of do that, with the bulk of the WADs I play being ones that have demos, yet to a point (as there's also my appreciation for exploratory and "FDA" play) it's the other way around. I play the WAD because I'll be watching the demos, and I don't like watching demos that much on WADs I haven't played unless the only thing I care about while watching is sheer "chilling time" entertainment or to check up on the level design of a WAD I don't think I'm going to play. (I'm sometimes glad that there's a demo on a popular WAD I'm not inclined to play because it grants me some way to observe or experience it without "effort".) This is because I feel more out of context watching someone play in an unfamiliar level. Following someone else's progress visually does not stick to the mind like when one is doing the navigating oneself. The sense of placement is partially lost.

My procedure is not very economical, as it may require me to play for a while on an unfamiliar level because of a 30 second demo, but I have ways to cut back on my play-load, such as by sticking mainly (I could say exclusively lately due to time constraints) to Doom compatible levels and demos. And I wouldn't "waste my time" unless I enjoyed doing so, of course :p

Thankfully, those are rather rare.

I doubt the majority of WADs have demos. Maybe you mean the ones of the types you like to play.

I try to, and it really takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I'm getting better at it, though. I recently tried running E1 UV just trying to get through, not trying to kill all monsters. I get to about M6 before dying. You don't have to tell my I suck. I know.

I'll eventually try playing Doom 2 this way. That might make it fun.