• The Doom Wiki (no change)
    • idTech Wiki
    • Doom Database
    • DoomWiki.org
    • Doom Encyclopedia
    • Doom Dictionary
    • Doompedia
    • Cacopedia

Here are the collected options for the name, in the chronological order they were suggested. Please read through the "Doom Wiki" thread before voting and carefully consider all issues at hand before making a choice.

EDIT: Updated to link to other thread directly.

Gonna have to go with doomwiki.org for obvious, beneficial reasons. I really like "The Doom Database" or something of that sort as well, but doomwiki.org should probably be the replacement.

Seems to me that DoomWiki.org unambiguously says everything about the site in the least number of characters.

I think Doom Encyclopedia is pretty good too but I don't see any reason to argue so I'll just say DoomWiki.org

doomwiki.org (or doomwiki.net, etc.) makes a lot of sense.

Note for anyone seriously thinking cacopedia is a good choice: "caco" comes from the Latin verb cacare, to shit. (In fact, "caco" is the latin word for "I shit".) A "cacopedia" would literally be an encyclopedia of defecation.

Grazza said:

Note for anyone seriously thinking cacopedia is a good choice: "caco" comes from the Latin verb cacare, to shit. (In fact, "caco" is the latin word for "I shit".) A "cacopedia" would literally be an encyclopedia of defecation.

Assuming doomwiki.org (with or without variant capitalization) is accepted, the .net and .info domains will also direct to the same host. I may choose to direct these domains to the site even if it doesn't win, however that will be done at most only until they expire, as I can't justify $30 a year for redirects if they're never used by anybody. Also, having too many domains direct to the same site might only serve to dilute the search ranking rather than enhance it, which is definitely not our goal.

Grazza said:

Although I can sorta see your point, I don't think that's quite a solid argument against it. The caco from cacopedia (which in turn comes from cacodemon) is rooted in greek kakos, simply meaning "bad". I think pretty much any creative name you come up with will have some unintended misinterpretation in another language. "Pedia" also comes from greek: paideia.

Btw, I went against the grain and chose Cacopedia. :P

Grazza said:

Are you sure? I always assumed it came from the anglicized Hellenic stem caco- from κακός, meaning "wicked, hideous, bad". I suppose you could say that shit has such qualities.

EDIT: that's what I get for taking too damn long to post.

doomwiki.org sounds like it's easily memorable and appropriate. Cacopedia sounds too specific considering the DW covers everything under the Doom engine, Doom 3 and some other id software stuff.

Besides that, it doesn't have any deep meaning or pun (barring Hissy) like Wookieepedia and Bulbapedia, whose name has its roots in the "host", Bulbagarden. Considering that content administration of the Doom Wiki is practically under Doomworld's control it would be appropriate to retain the Doom Wiki name.

I think the only real contenders are Doom Wiki and Doom Database. The former if it's presented as a move, the latter if it's presented as a fork.

Gez said:

I think the only real contenders are Doom Wiki and Doom Database. The former if it's presented as a move, the latter if it's presented as a fork.

As far as I'm concerned it's a "move" and I'll be actively campaigning to get all the links in the community changed (most people already agree this should be done). The practical fact is that it's a fork, since Wikia will keep their copy of it up.

I don't think we have to be courteous of that and tiptoe around it, though. They haven't been accomodating to any of the communities in this new debacle and I figure things will only get worse there in the future. With the more and more active role being taken by wikia staff in administering the wikis, I'll bet it's only a matter of time before they remove community administrators entirely and start doing a half-assed job of pretending to run things themselves. Considering they've already kicked off half the admins anyway on the moving wikis, and there's nobody to replace them with, it's almost going to be necessary now.

So technically a fork, but I believe we should treat it as though it's a move.

Quasar said:

Please read through the "Doom Wiki" thread before voting and carefully consider all issues at hand before making a choice.

Quasar, I'd suggest that you edit the above underlined portion of your initial post into a hyperlink pointing to the related thread. IMHO it would make this dual thread setup a bit more user-friendly, and is more efficient for archival purposes also.

I thought it would be cool to change the cacodemon's attack so it turns 180 degrees, fires a brown projectile out of its anus, then turns to face you again (the fact that the anus is pre-drawn probably means id intended for this behavior but ran into time constraints before release). It could be called a coprophagia demon if it could eat the ones that missed you. Doomguy's nose could wrinkle up in the hud if he gets hit.

Cacopedia sounds too much like Wookieepedia, the midichlorian fail levels of which must be off the charts (much like this post). Though I've never spent much time there to know for sure due to fear of being raped by a wookiee. I guess I'll just vote using the same method I use in elections- choosing one at random.

I vote for the black guys. Doesn't help me much in this one.

gggmork said:

Cacopedia sounds too much like Wookieepedia, the midichlorian fail levels of which must be off the charts (much like this post). Though I've never spent much time there to know for sure due to fear of being raped by a wookiee. I guess I'll just vote using the same method I use in elections- choosing one at random.

Wookieepedia is pretty much the best online resource for Star Wars info ever.