Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

why is doom your favorite?

Finally a mildly interesting yellowmadness54 thread, even if the rest of the style didn't change.

AHEM...so, back in the day, I considered Doom #1 because...well...it was the first FPS I ever played, after reading in magazines how awesome it was etc. but couldn't really picture how the gameplay could be (no idea, honestly, I imagined it would be some kind of pseudo-3D photorealistic rail shooter like e.g. Terminator 2 at the arcades).

OK, afterwards I discovered that there was a sequel (Doom II), a "prequel" (WOlf 3D), and similar games (Doom clones, we used to call them).

Why I didn't like any of them much? The TL; DR version is that they fucking sucked ass.

Long version: none of the other Doom clones were as smooth, fast, with fluent control or good use of PC resources as the original Doom, while providing comparable graphics. Doom was smooth and playable on a 486 DX/40 with 4 MB of RAM. Duke Nukem and Dark Forces wouldn't even play with 4 MB (and Duke NUkem was shiiiiit slow). Descent was a crawling, disk-trashing mess, and titles like Corridor 7 and ROTT were rehashes of the Wold3D engine, which somehow played worse, slower and jerkier than Doom. ANd let's not even bring the gameplay into question....

Megamur said:

To me, DOOM isn't just better than any other DOS shooter, it's better than every other shooter, period. It's better than any other game, period.

Jesus christ. I hope you're not going to be the next headline about a gamer sitting in his chair until death

I can't say that doom is "the best." I happen to play it a lot, and it might be my most played game, but honestly there are several other games that I've probably spent similar amounts of time playing (including doom-engine games such as heretic, hexen, and strife). Sometimes, I get sick of playing doom, so I will play something different for a while. Doom doesn't offer everything. In fact, the gameplay can become rather mindless and repetitive unless the map authors have gone above and beyond to make a truly interactive map. But most of the time it's just laying into monsters with your weaponry, and the occasional hunt for items/keys/where to go next

But, that said, it does have the best mod-ability hands down

magicsofa said:
But most of the time it's just laying into monsters with your weaponry, and the occasional hunt for items/keys/where to go next

I'd describe it that way and that it's the best video game. Watching a movie is "just sitting on a chair and, in a physical sense, passively watching a sequence of animated pictures". What does "best game" even mean anyway? It's just a reference to dedication and appreciation, and it's relative at that. It could be the best because it shines among many good ones, or because others suck, or something in between. Personally, one of the advantages of highlighting one game is that it avoids distractions and time (or money) spent on other games. And it lets one get the fullest out of that game. I don't have enough time for DOOM in the first place, so other games become pretty much irrelevant...

Let's face it, Doom is way better then any modern-day First Person Shooter. I don't care about graphics, quality, or any of that bull. I like to be able to run fast, mow through my enemies quickly, solve puzzles, and not need a knowledge of weapons or anything in order to play it well. I may have registered recently, but I regret not registering long ago. It seems like no matter what, Doom always comes to be the first in my mind of my decision of what to play. I prefer games from before Windows NT.

I thought Doom was #&^%t when i was a kid, i was obsessed with Quake.

A few month ago loaded Quake back up and apart from nostalgia and atmosphere there was nothing that really kept me there, it felt like a limited 3D shooter.

Doom on the other hand has not really aged because of the 2D sprites, killing them still feels meaty and satisfying. To this day only a few 3D shooters have managed to get the meaty ooomph into the combat (and where's the frigging gore gone!?).

Mostly though modern fps are bogged down by cutscenes\tutprials\pda's\intercoms\npc's etc...

There's no one thing though: the levels in Doom feel like little worlds, the enemies are each unique and feel like really dumb life forms (but at least alive, they fight each other!), the gameplay is fast and intense (like an old arcade shooter Space Invader), there's no tutorials and other junk and...

the game is about 17 years old and still being modded! COD Map Pack DLC for just $50 you say? Uh how about you suck my ^$^#% i have like 17 years of custom maps to download and play.

(Blood does have a special place in my gaming heart though)

Doom has, and always will, have a special place in my heart. Although I do love Wolf3D a lot and the first Quake game, Doom is just where it's at.

Because it's fun, and has a good variety of atmospheres (hellish, creepy lika Aliens, sci-fi base, modern city, fantasy dungeons...) Playing it never gets old because of all the maps.

Also the gameplay is simple, and there's no complicated story to get in the way. Reminds me a lot of why I prefer Rogue (the old Unix terminal game - the original, not Nethack, etc.) instead of CRPGs.

Doom is the perfect shooter for me. It's fast, it has cool weapons, interesting monsters, thousands of high quality fan maps/mods and offers a very easy way for everyone to make maps or start modding it to your liking.

Did I mention that I just dig the style? :)

It just came to me that maybe Doom has the biggest and most destinct set of monsters of any shooter - period. I mean can you think of 10 different monsters from Half-Life 2 from top of your head? And most recent shooters don't even come close to 10 (think of FEAR2)... this is kinda frightening to see this "evolution" in shooters :(

hex11 said:
Also the gameplay is simple, and there's no complicated story to get in the way. Reminds me a lot of why I prefer Rogue (the old Unix terminal game - the original, not Nethack, etc.) instead of CRPGs.

You must play more roguelikes than that right!?

And my reason is because fighting hell makes me a good Catholic.