Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > The MARBFACE Textures
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Megamur

So, if MARBFACE is the end boss from DOOM II, and MARBFAC3 is the face of a Baron, is MARBFAC2 an Arch-Vile face?

Old Post 06-07-11 04:54 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

In my opinion, yes. Some people say it's some kind of generic 'alien demon' face though.

Old Post 06-07-11 04:56 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megamur

I used to think it was some sort of alien creature, too, when I wasn't very familiar with the DOOM mythos. However, it does kind of look like the face of the clay model of the Arch-Vile, and if they made one DOOM 1 texture into a DOOM II monster (Icon of Sin), it stands to reason they might have with another.

Old Post 06-07-11 04:59 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

I always thought it was the Mancubus, but now that I look at it there doesn't seem to be any similarities.

Old Post 06-07-11 05:08 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

The shape of MARBFAC2 matches with the front or diagonal front sprite of the Arch-vile's head.

Old Post 06-07-11 05:13 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

I've always seen it as the Archvile as well.

Old Post 06-07-11 05:19 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

http://www.doomworld.com/fredrik/images/archface.png
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2807/1702114-archvile1ca.jpg

Adrian, for all we know, could have had the Arch-vile concept made curring Doom's development.

Old Post 06-07-11 05:31 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yellowmadness54

another misconception of mine, heh.

I use to think those textures symbolized the enemies coming up IE the baron one made me think I was about to fight a baron or some other "horned" demon (lost souls,cacos, demons)

and the archie one I though more alien like enemies, like arachnotrons, spider masterminds, etc.

Old Post 06-07-11 05:43 #
yellowmadness54 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

What's interesting is that the Archvile didn't even exist when they made that texture... Or did it?

Old Post 06-07-11 08:41 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

I always think that face looks like a mixed of archvile and mancubus.

Old Post 06-07-11 11:46 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Worst
Mini-Member

maybe it'll look more like a vile if you remove the curvy bones next to the jaw

http://i52.tinypic.com/14dovg4.png
http://user.xthost.info/Worst/crap/archmarb.png

Old Post 06-07-11 15:26 #
Worst is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

I don't think there's any relation; the original model doesn't look anything like the texture.

Old Post 06-08-11 02:37 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Looking at the two images side-by-side in Technician's post, the "curvy side-bones" are clearly visible in the actual Arch-Vile sprite -- MARBFAC2 simply can't be anything else, although for all we know id could've made the monster similar after-the-fact. ;)

Old Post 06-08-11 02:48 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

Worst said:
To me it looks like the in-game arch-vile sprites have those same tubular structures; the first image in Technician's post shows them, though the source model lacks them. The model does better showcase the teeth than the sprites do.

Regardless of whether Adrian had the arch-vile design concept in his head when he was making the MARBFAC2 texture, the source model was of course made by Gregor Punchatz; this might explain why MARBFAC2's features don't align with the arch-vile model as much as MARBFAC3 does with the baron model and sprites.

[edit: I guess I missed Xaser's post somehow. Whoops.]

Old Post 06-08-11 02:57 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

printz said:
What's interesting is that the Archvile didn't even exist when they made that texture... Or did it?

While that's kind of like the Mancu-Balls in the Doom-SHarware, which were unused until Doom II. So was the Mancubus riginally going to be in Doom?

I always imagined this texture though to be a Chaingunner head, mainly because of the fat looking jaw. I never saw spaces between those lines on the side of it's mouth.

Old Post 06-08-11 22:13 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reaper978
We find his lack of rocket launcher faith disturbing

That "generic alien" marble relief always gave me the impression of Cthulhu.

Old Post 06-11-11 04:42 #
Reaper978 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

God, I wish Adrian gave interviews.

Old Post 06-11-11 05:03 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fuchsia tude

If anyone's still wondering, Romero confirmed
http://i.imgur.com/cjgOsxx.png

Old Post 12-18-13 18:21 #
Fuchsia tude is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mallo
Warming Up

http://i.imgur.com/MmUHPm3.png
Well, it quite fits...

Old Post 12-18-13 20:15 #
mallo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpj..._of_balhoon.jpg

I'm beginning to think someone at Doctor Who is an Arch-Vile fan

Old Post 12-18-13 20:23 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mallo
Warming Up

Eris Falling said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpj..._of_balhoon.jpg

I'm beginning to think someone at Doctor Who is an Arch-Vile fan

Arch-Vile and Mancubus fan

Old Post 12-18-13 20:58 #
mallo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

mallo said:

Arch-Vile and Mancubus fan

It's like if the Manc and the Archie had a baby.

Old Post 12-18-13 21:03 #
Zed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
William Blazkowicz

Technician said:
http://www.doomworld.com/vbmisc/qimg.gif

Adrian, for all we know, could have had the Arch-vile concept made curring Doom's development.

The only similarities I see are those 2 jaw bones (?) arching out from the sides of the jaw.

Old Post 12-18-13 21:20 #
William Blazkowicz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Extremely low resolutions will do that. The sprite head is like 13 pixels wide, whereas the MARBFACE version is probably closer to about 80. You can see where the eye area is; the colour gets much darker. It's definitely the same face

Old Post 12-18-13 21:28 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Inkie

What is that thing that is it's 'mouth'?

Old Post 12-18-13 21:40 #
Inkie is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cell

For a long time, I've always thought MARBFAC2 has a creepy smile, but now I clearly see that it's pure hatred.

Old Post 12-18-13 21:46 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Crasger

The Vile's sprites kind of look like they're smiling in a sinister way.
In a sort-of related note:
Has anyone made an HD remake of Doom that's faithful to the original designs?

Also, I like to think that the Viles had a really high position up the monster heirarchy.

Old Post 12-18-13 23:47 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl

Worst said:
Not really, you have to remember though the smaller the sprites the less detailed it appears to be.

Old Post 12-19-13 01:33 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Crasger

I'm guessing the MARBFACE textures are for the Monsters who are REALLY up the ladder of Hell's social heirarchy.

Baron, IoS and Arch-Vile. All monsters that can easily kill you.

Old Post 12-19-13 02:51 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Well this mystery has been put to rest.

Old Post 12-19-13 03:04 #