Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Episode 1 Intermission Screen fan-art (work in progress)

That's mine. I did one for every episode for Doomsday years ago. It's not that detailed though, and I don't have time to model these days.

Tango said:

where did you get such proficiency with sketchup?

I'm not sure. Before I started this project, I had only been messing with Sketchup for a month or so. However, I have been an artist since I could pick up a pencil (about 21 years), and I have always had a wild imagination for architectural structures. Although it's not the case for all programs, I tend to pick up software with ease.

A few of the levels (Toxin Refinery not shown, being revamped) with the new, much more detailed mountain range.

A look at an early version of the "real" E1M8. I mistook E1M9 for E1M8, which I'm sure was a bit confusing. Anyway, this one incorporates the actual pentagram that's in the map, while using a lot of creative flexibility to imagine the tiny group of pixels making it up on the intermission screen.

Tango said:

damn. do you make your living as some sort of artist?

That would be nice. As an illustrative/digital artist, writer, filmmaker, graphic designer, musician and cartoonist (which includes being awarded 2nd place for college cartooning on a national level and being nominated again this year), you'd think I'd be rolling in cash. Instead, I'm unemployed, live at home with my parents at age 26, have an irrational fear of driving (and the "real world" in general), and have proven myself financially irresponsible.

All 9 buildings with a revamped Toxin Refinery.

Detail shot of E1M9's spiky towers, with E1M5 looming in the background.

Wow, the detail in E1M9 is amazing. I don't think I made anything as good as that when I worked with Sketchup.

Yes, although I've learned that texture mapping can very quickly become a nightmare. When you're dealing with a structure made out of several thousand polygons, avoiding misalignment is tricky. Sketchup is smart enough to drape a texture over a curved surface, but if it's spherical or there's a lot of perpendicular polygons, severe warping occurs. There's a $200 plug-in for "smart" texturing, but I'm not eager to pay for it.

Sketchup doesn't allow you to manipulate the UVs? If it does you should learn how. When I first started UV mapping at school and work I hated it but once I figured it out it became quite fun. Once you do figure it out texturing becomes more fun and easier because you've got your guidelines set for you... of course i'm thinking about it from a maya standpoint which could be an entirely different experience.

Marnetmar said:

Is that blood flowing from the top of the anomaly? Me likey.

It was just intended to be some vague piping, but I like you interpretation better.

So I've noticed that a lot of areas lack significant detail, so here's a batch of some augmentations I've made.

Looking down on E1M7 from E1M9.

Demonic entrances for E1M8.

More detail on towers in E1M4.

E1M1 with a better back end for the tower and an extra area on top.

E1M5 with significantly more detail.

E1M3 completely redesigned.

E1M3 seen from below looking up.

WOW !! This is awesome work ! Gives a whole new perspective into the "World of Doom" Keep it up !!

The last images make them very special and unique. Awesome!

NiuHaka said:

Sketchup doesn't allow you to manipulate the UVs? If it does you should learn how. When I first started UV mapping at school and work I hated it but once I figured it out it became quite fun. Once you do figure it out texturing becomes more fun and easier because you've got your guidelines set for you... of course i'm thinking about it from a maya standpoint which could be an entirely different experience.

It appears that Sketchup does have such a feature but it's very confusing to me, probably not as intuitive as Maya's, I'm sure. I do little tests and even with texture projection, it's extremely difficult to say, map something as simple as a cylinder. If I can figure it out, maybe I will texturize everything, although it would take awhile to create all the custom textures.

Also, to Cell, thanks for the comment. When you zoom in on that intermission graphic, the buildings almost become abstract sets of multi-colored squares. This gives me a lot of room to be creative, to imagine the specific details on those buildings. It's especially exciting to be able to rotate all the way around the building, and see them from behind.

Thanks again for the support, guys. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a single negative comment, but there's still hope. Anyway, if you guys are at all curious, I plan to do episodes 2 and 3 eventually. If I really want to challenge myself, I might even do episode 4, which as we all know has no intermission graphic. Doom 2 would be quite a challenge, too, trying to cram 32 locations into one screen. I don't know if that would even be possible.

Doom 2 could be roughly split up into episodes of maps 1-11, 12-20, and 21-30 (...and I guess 31/32) based on the sky changes. Though it could be pretty awesome to have a "world map" somehow combining it all :)

There's this zdoom remake of Doom 2 going on (Forgot the name) that does something like that.

E1M1 with more detail. Notice the landing pad.

E1M2 with more detail. There's some nice piping that's been added.

One of the domes in E1M7 with some interesting interior stuff going on.

Very well done.
In the end there should be some dirtyness to all the stuff... they way the walls portrayed by the startans have aged over time.