Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > D_RUNNIN Appreciation Station
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

We're long overdue for this thread, a thread for us to share our favorite D_RUNNIN facts and experiences.

It's time we as a community stop lying to ourselves.

Yes, that's right. Come on, admit it: you know you love D_RUNNIN. That guitar solo... http://essel.spork-chan.net/emot/wub.gif

What do you love most about D_RUNNIN?
("Nomusic", "idmus", and similar are not valid answers. This is a thread about D_RUNNIN!)

Old Post 06-19-11 05:05 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

I love that when the author forgets or doesn't care to add new music to his pwad, D_RUNNIN is always there for you, through thick and thin, no matter what.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:07 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

That rockin Hammond makes me pull out all the stops.... in my pants.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:08 #
Csonicgo is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

well first there's the bass, and then the drums are all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" and then I'm all like "BITCH PLEASE I EAT DRUMS LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST" before all going awesome, then the chords all of my internal organs are like resonatin', man, and then there is that FUCKING GUITAR SOLO YEAH, i dont believe i know how to i ever lived my life before ever hearing this sogn, yeah it rocks all my socks off even though im not wearing socks, LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Old Post 06-19-11 05:11 #
Xaser is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bop!
ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bip-bop!
ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bip-bop-bop-bop!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
bump-bump
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
bump-bump

Old Post 06-19-11 05:16 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

I realize that this thread is just a joke, but I'm not lying to myself, I really do hate that song to death. :P

It's just so noisy and irritating to hear it in any map in the MAP01 slot, besides the original, which is the only place that it fit. Meh, I kinda like D_E1M1 better anyway.

The organ part especially is horrid to my ears.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:17 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

This thread isn't a "joke". Grow up, asshole.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:17 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic

esselfortium said:
This thread isn't a "joke". Grow up, asshole.

Gah, I can't tell if you're joking or not! :P It seems like people are being serious when the don't use any emoticons (with the exceptions of :|, or :\), yet your response is absurd, but I'm leaning toward that that post is a joke too. :P

EDIT: and all the responses make it appear as if other perceive it as a joke :P (gee, I sure use the ":P" emoticon a lot, don't I? :P)

Old Post 06-19-11 05:20 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

In all seriousness, D_RUNNIN once inspired me to continue working on Eternity when I had about decided to give it up.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:23 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Sodaholic said:

Gah, I can't tell if you're joking or not! :P It seems like people are being serious when the don't use any emoticons (with the exceptions of :|, or :\), yet your response is absurd, but I'm leaning toward that that post is a joke too. :P

EDIT: and all the responses make it appear as if other perceive it as a joke :P (gee, I sure use the ":P" emoticon a lot, don't I? :P)

You're new around here aren't you?

Old Post 06-19-11 05:24 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic

rf` said:

You're new around here aren't you?

Well, sorta. Even though my account's been around since 07, I haven't started posting here until recently. Though that post itself was a joke, I could tell he was kidding.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:25 #
esselfortium

*checks sign on door* Nope, this is not the Sodaholic Appreciation Station

Old Post 06-19-11 05:28 #
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Some say that playing D_RUNNIN in OPL3 will summon an angel.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:28 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

I love D_RUNNIN since I mostly play megawads which most of the time replace the music. So I haven't had to hear that song millions of times upon playing single level PWADs.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:30 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Marnetmar said:
Some say that playing D_RUNNIN in OPL3 will summon an angel.
Actually, angels are summoned no matter what it's played on. Then there's so many angels in the room none of them can go to the bathroom so they piss themselves and turn into more demons for Doomguy to kill.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:35 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mithran Denizen

It almost hurts to admit it to myself, but from the moment I hear the opening bass notes, I await this, with a gleam in my eye.

Old Post 06-19-11 05:40 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
I have a custom title now!

I could listen to that track for days on end - in fact I've done so while sifting the contents of shovelware disks in the hope of finding a lost gem or two.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:01 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hex11

It's the perfect melody for a pastoral picnic down by the river with three imps and a shotgun.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:03 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bgraybr

I actually like D_RUNNIN. It's one of the most memorable Doom songs for me, besides "Untitled" from Doom 1.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:06 #
bgraybr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

The rock organ and the guitar solo later.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:07 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Mainly that it makes me think of Map01 deathmatch duels.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:26 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bgraybr

hex11 said:
It's the perfect melody for a pastoral picnic down by the river with three imps and a shotgun.

THREE imps? What difficulty have you been playing on?

:D

Old Post 06-19-11 06:28 #
bgraybr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

esselfortium said:
What do you love most about D_RUNNIN?
("Nomusic", "idmus", and similar are not valid answers. This is a thread about D_RUNNIN!)

Some pwads have a pretty good D_RUNNIN entry - it's a major reason why I normally have a music wad preloaded. The rules you have laid down for this thread prevent me from saying anything about the one in Doom2.wad.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:34 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

DuckReconMajor said:
Actually, angels are summoned no matter what it's played on. Then there's so many angels in the room none of them can go to the bathroom so they piss themselves and turn into more demons for Doomguy to kill.

Oops, that came out wrong.

If you play D_RUNNIN in OPL3 you will summon God.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:38 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Grazza said:
Some pwads have a pretty good D_RUNNIN entry - it's a major reason why I normally have a music wad preloaded. The rules you have laid down for this thread prevent me from saying anything about the one in Doom2.wad.

Er, how so? I'm not seeing it.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:40 #
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

http://youfailit.net/random/sound/runnin-18.ogg

Old Post 06-19-11 06:41 #
Bloodshedder is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Why are you surprised to find out that D_RUNNIN inspired Hangar 18, Bloodshedder?

Old Post 06-19-11 06:43 #
InsanityBringer

Ok... I think you guys have found me (and many others) out. I've always claimed to hate the song, and indeed, there are these points in time where I just can't stand to hear it. But then, after having not listened to it for a while, I suddenly get this urge to listen to it, maybe play MAP01 or MAP15 in the process, but I don't think it's one of the songs I'd be able to listen for 8 hours on loop.

Old Post 06-19-11 06:43 #
InsanityBringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hex11

bgraybr said:

THREE imps? What difficulty have you been playing on?

The real old school way:
chocolate-doom -skill 3 -nomouse

Old Post 06-19-11 07:02 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

I also think the MP3 version is really awesome. Actually, I'd go as far as to say the Doom/Doom II soundtrack on MP3 is pretty good for the mapping process, but that's not entirely relevant to the awesomeness of D_RUNNIN.

Old Post 06-19-11 07:36 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote