Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Doom Trivia Thread

WildWeasel said:

The SS has purple pixels between his legs.

So, when he shouts at you, is he a...purple pixel..people greeter?

One of the unreachable rooms in TNT MAP17 has the name "Tom" and the NIN logo on the walls.

WildWeasel said:

The SS has purple pixels between his legs.

This is carried over from the same bug in Wolfenstein 3D. In fact, the guard sprites have one of these too.

In fact in fact, the Doom palette is based on the Wolfenstein 3D palette. Lots of tones are similar.

In Community Chest 2 map13 there are 2 bugs:

1st bug is that 2 imps may not teleport in certain times.
2nd bug is the yellow key door, if you open it while close, the door will stay stuck.

If you walk all the way across a level's void space with IDCLIP, you'll end up at the other side.

esselfortium said:

So, when he shouts at you, is he a...purple pixel..people greeter?

For a long time I thought they shouted "TWO SHOVELS" but couldn't figure out why.

A bit of Boom trivia - jumping on a barrel that's moving along a conveyor belt will cause it to stop. Freedoom Map02 is a good place to try that.

Processingcontrol said:

If you walk all the way across a level's void space with IDCLIP, you'll end up at the other side.

This will actually happen in most computer games. There isn't really a good reason to put checks on integers rolling over in things like these, so they just wrap around.

Although depending on what type of variable they are using, it could take a very long time to do this. It only takes a few minutes in Doom.

GreyGhost said:

For a long time I thought they shouted "TWO SHOVELS" but couldn't figure out why.

A bit of Boom trivia - jumping on a barrel that's moving along a conveyor belt will cause it to stop. Freedoom Map02 is a good place to try that.

(From misconceptions thread):

"Shoot double!"

"WHO'S LEAVING!"

All the lights in E1M7 (Computer Station) are high-tech lamps, except for this one candelabra in the big computer room. What is it doing there?...

In Doom v1.1, the blue armor and soulsphere pickups only give you up to 199% of health/armor. However, by picking up health/armor (or only armor, I dunno) bonuses you can exceed 200%.

Oh and there's a lone medikit just outside the green armor "tower" in E1M1 in Doom v1.1.

hex11 said:

All the lights in E1M7 (Computer Station) are high-tech lamps, except for this one candelabra in the big computer room. What is it doing there?...

Maybe it's the beginning's of Hell warping Phobos? It is E1M7 (i.e near the gate) after all.

That said, candelabra's also frame the exit door on E1M1.

corpses can stack upon each other, on a living monster
the caco corpse being ontop of an imp chasing you is totaly hilarious
cacos carrying corpses on their head is KRUPP
lost souls carrying caco corpses :D

the DOOM95 engine allows rockets to do damage no matter distance on the Y-axis, this engine also have really cool sound cuting

E1M1 in Ultimate Doom has 666 sidedefs.

There are no crates in E1.

Level names in E4 are taken from passages in the King James Version of the Bible.

E1M4 used to have a swastika-shaped structure in it.

GreyGhost said:

Please be more specific. You can't jump on barrels in Boom. You can't even jump, if we are to be pedantic.

Doom E3M4 contains a suicidal Cacodemon (the area where you come to locate the BFG), upon it causing a near by barrel to explode, the splash damage sets the enemy to target itself, and effectively it destroys itself.

Since been fixed? Can't remember.

Six said:

Doom E3M4 contains a suicidal Cacodemon (the area where you come to locate the BFG), upon it causing a near by barrel to explode, the splash damage sets the enemy to target itself, and effectively it destroys itself.

Since been fixed? Can't remember.

I think that was an issue with version 1.0 or 1.1, which I believe was fixed with 1.2.

It sounds like they fixed it in 1.2:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Barrel_suicide

But I think that was a mistake. This kind of "bug" adds some flavor to the game. The ghost bug isn't much different, and was exploited for good effect in a bunch of maps. Anyway, going crazy all of a sudden sounds like the sort of thing that hellspawn would be inclined to do.

It looks like reverting back to the original behavior might simply a matter of removing the "source != target" check in the damage function, so I'm going to apply that to the ports I use and see...

fraggle said:

If you play all the way through Doom II from the first level (without cheating or using save games), the sky will never change from the brown sky that appears on the first level.

Likewise, if you go through the secret levels in Vanilla Doom2 and don't do anything to change it, the sky will be SKY3 from MAP16 onwards.

CODOR said:

E1M1 in Ultimate Doom has 666 sidedefs.

That's pretty intresting.

I wonder if it's intenional.

The level passwords used in PSX Doom and Final Doom are completely interchangeable.

Doom E1M6: There's a Spectre stuck in the wall in the exit room on the ultra-violence difficulty. Doombuilder also reports 2 other demons being stuck in the wall on the same level, but they can in factuality move.

If I remember right, you get a blue armor and wear it down to like 70% left. Its now a disadvantage to top off to 100% with a green armor cuz green has less protection (or something).

fraggle said:

Monsters are not hurt by projectiles from other monsters of their own type - imps can't be hurt by imp fireballs, Cacodemons can't be hurt by Cacodemon fireballs, etc.

i must add to this about the projectile one. The human soldiers can hurt each other of the same type because... well i guess they wanted it like human instinct to attack anything when hit. im not sure this counts as projectile seeings as how there bullets instantly hits but yeah just thought id mention that