Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > the candelabra anomaly
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:07. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hex11

This is a fork of the Doom Trivia Thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/987269

I happened to be playing E1M7 (Computer Station) today, really immersing myself in the level, until something very odd struck me: it was this lone candelabra tucked away in a corner of the big computer room. It seems very out of place, since everything else on that level follows the high tech base theme. And this candelabra isn't just anywhere on the map, it's in the computer room, the most high-tech location in this high-tech base!

At this point I'm not sure if it was deliberately placed there, or maybe a remnant of an alpha map, or just some random scenery. But it's located in a corner by the window, and is very visible from outside or from another window in an adjacent room.

I was curious to find out where else these things were used in the game, so I did some poking around. I didn't know any tool that would tell me the answer right away, so used the WAD decompiler (part of xwadtools). This method should also work to find other objects if you know their thing type (35 in the case of candelabra).

DOOMWADDIR=. deutex -doom . -levels -xtract doom.wad ; cd levels

for i in *.wad; do wadldc -v -g doom $(echo $i | tr a-z A-Z | sed "s/\.WAD$//") $i $i.map; done

for i in *.map; do perl -ne 'BEGIN{$m = shift} $f=1 if /^\s*THINGS_START/; $f or next; /^\s*35\s+:/ and $c++; END{$c and print "$m : $c\n"}' $i < $i; done

e1m1.wad.map : 2
e1m5.wad.map : 2
e1m6.wad.map : 2
e1m7.wad.map : 1
e1m9.wad.map : 1

e2m2.wad.map : 3
e2m3.wad.map : 2
e2m5.wad.map : 7
e2m6.wad.map : 3

e3m3.wad.map : 2
e3m4.wad.map : 4
e3m5.wad.map : 4

e4m2.wad.map : 2
e4m5.wad.map : 2
e4m6.wad.map : 2

So the totals in episode order are 8, 15, 10, and 6. Well that's strange isn't it? E4 has less candelabras than E1. And you don't have to look very hard to find them either. On E1M1 they frame the exit door...

So what is the reason behind all this? Are they a physical manifestation of hell invading Phobos? But if so, why aren't there also hanging corpses and other weirdness like that? Or is it just the result of an interior decorator with a strange sense of humor?...

Old Post 07-06-11 21:17 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

I've always thought the candelbra fits in nicely with the scenery, it doesn't really make sense, but it still looks cool. :)

Old Post 07-06-11 21:27 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
SeanWJF

at the beginning of the invasion, the UAC were still cleaning the candelabras up after the Halloween party.

Old Post 07-06-11 21:42 #
SeanWJF is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
SeanWJF

Or, it could've been hanukah on Phobos :P

Old Post 07-06-11 21:45 #
SeanWJF is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Nope, to me the candelabras show that the UAC personnel were some very classy folk. The skulls themselves appeared later. Everywhere I see candelabras I imagine a neat place to be.

The lone candelabra in E1M7 is VERY easy to detect, and its presence fits greatly with the "Demons on the Prey" soundtrack.

There are fewer candelabras in E4 because E4's theme is depravity, not elegance. Episode 4 is mostly made of barren, random and gory slums, than neat castles (even M6 looks like an improvised outpost of hell).

There are no dead-trees or impaled corpses in E2 because I guess id Software wanted to save some of the features for Episode 3. I hope TSoZD doesn't use them either. Anyway, the impaled bodies look pretty silly, because they look like helpless zombiemen, and the large twisted dead tree is a victim of sprite rendering, just like that episode boss

Old Post 07-06-11 21:45 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hervoheebo

Look, they're just.. candelabras. There is no deep reason why they're there. At least I doubt there is, as in Romero going all "hmm, putting these candelabras in strategic locations will imply subversion of reality by the demons".

Old Post 07-06-11 21:52 #
hervoheebo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

I noticed that the candelabras are gold. Maybe the marines struck gold somewhere and the demons just want them to stay out of their mine.

Old Post 07-06-11 22:26 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DoomHero85 said:
I noticed that the candelabras are gold. Maybe the marines struck gold somewhere and the demons just want them to stay out of their mine.

The REAL reason behind Doom's monster invasion, finally explained in layman terms!

I hereby propose this explanation as DoomHero85's permanent custom title.

Old Post 07-06-11 22:53 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

Awesome. It's a little long though. How about this?

The UAC are like dwarves. They mine and adventure until they let out demons.

Old Post 07-06-11 23:21 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Yeah, the candelabras in episode one did kinda bothered me.

Old Post 07-06-11 23:54 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I never felt that any of the candlebras were out of place, except for the one mentioned. That is the only one that just looks... Out there...

Old Post 07-07-11 00:45 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Alphawolf
Banned

Some of us just play Doom.

Old Post 07-07-11 01:57 #
Alphawolf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
PRIMEVAL

What? You never seen random candelabras laying around? There's 2 at my house, 3 at my college, and 1 hidden away at the local Game Stop by the mall.

Old Post 07-07-11 03:32 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

Those places must have been designed by Romero.

Old Post 07-07-11 03:36 #
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

i never found that candelabra to be any more significant than the ones near the exit of E1M1

Old Post 07-07-11 08:09 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sigvatr
Banned

I think this thread is pretty much definitive of an outsider's perception of the Doom community; a bunch of nerds arguing about a candle in an 18 year old video game.

Old Post 07-07-11 08:16 #
Sigvatr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

"I'm not a nerd, nerds are smart, I'm more of a dork!" -Milhouse

Old Post 07-07-11 09:13 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Captain Toenail
Forum Regular

If you draw lines between all the candelabras, cryptic symbols are revealed that show the location of the holy grail.

Old Post 07-07-11 13:10 #
Captain Toenail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Alphawolf
Banned

The Doomvinci Code. Its a best seller.

Old Post 07-07-11 16:52 #
Alphawolf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Six

You know you've played to much Doom when you question the UAC's choice of décor.

Old Post 07-07-11 17:07 #
Six is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Doom's version numbering once included the number 666 in it (in v1.666), which is the number of the Beast.

Old Post 07-07-11 17:25 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ducon
Régulier du Forum

Is Candelabra the new moon of Mars?

Old Post 07-07-11 17:31 #
ducon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiuHaka

This is the third thread with mention of The Davinci Code in it within the last couple of weeks.

Old Post 07-07-11 17:55 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

I always liked how the Jaguar version gave the E1M1 candelabras their own little alcoves for no apparent reason. (Probably something to do with that version's simplified collision detection.)

Old Post 07-07-11 17:57 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

Always thought it was a tad strange myself, but they don't seem terribly out of place because Doom's art direction is so consistent.

Old Post 07-07-11 18:29 #
GoatLord is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hex11

Captain Toenail said:
If you draw lines between all the candelabras, cryptic symbols are revealed that show the location of the holy grail.

See, now that would actually work in Wolf3D, since the nazis were into symbolism and the occult. And in fact, candelabras would fit in quite well with the rest of Wolf3D's decor, amongst the chandeliers, vases, paintings, piles of gold and jewelry, etc. But you don't find any of that stuff on Phobos, just the odd, unexplained candelabra sitting out in the open.

Old Post 07-07-11 18:34 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Captain Toenail
Forum Regular

Well, you see, the UAC was secretly established by a cult dating from the medieval period. This cult was known to dabble with 'black magic' and to 'summon devils' through the use of rituals involving magic circles. Black candles are a key part of this ritual. Obviously despite the UAC's recent technological methods, throwbacks from the old rituals such as candles are still required to enable teleportation. This explains the seemingly unusual placement of candelabras in the modern bases. Ok, I lied, it's all bullshit. :P

Old Post 07-07-11 18:41 #
Captain Toenail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

The "black candles" have always looked to me like small electric lamps, especially because they don't animate, but also because of their clean plastic look.

Old Post 07-07-11 18:54 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

While we discuss the myteries f the Candlebras, I like the idea of that Phobos was slowly starting to turn towards the growth crap itself. I mean, lets not forget the pentagrams in E1M9 and what I think was E1mM4 or M5 (?). Maybe Phobos was slowly starting to turn like Diemos (Even though Diemos was 'over' Hell...)

Old Post 07-07-11 22:13 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Six

http://i51.tinypic.com/11jn3mb.jpg

Old Post 07-07-11 22:35 #
Six is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote