Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hex11

the candelabra anomaly

I'm curious now. Somebody should do a gallery of all the appearances of candelabras in the game.

They seem a little out of place. I've always chalked it up as being part of the dark tone of the game itself. That unleashed essence of hell corrupting everything. If you've undead zombiemen, imps, and flesh eating pinkies, why not some random skull candelabra decor?

Doom 3 had areas with candles that made it look like rituals had taken place. Where as items like the chainsaws being aboard the space station were explained in PDAs due to a clerical error, there's nothing that really explains the candles. Aside from maybe them being there in case of power outage.

But I suppose in the Doom 3 context it can be as easily explained by the madness of Bertruger, as it can be manifestation by hell's corruption.

Or the Demons brought the candles. Or dou you think Betruger installed that one computer with the Sacrifice Intructions himself as well?

Clonehunter said:

While we discuss the myteries f the Candlebras, I like the idea of that Phobos was slowly starting to turn towards the growth crap itself. I mean, lets not forget the pentagrams in E1M9 and what I think was E1mM4 or M5 (?). Maybe Phobos was slowly starting to turn like Diemos (Even though Diemos was 'over' Hell...)

Seconded.

Well, i think too they're could be something build from the demons since it have the skulls on the base, and got that dark candles in it... for what reason, i don't know... maybe, for establish a link between the mars moons and hell itself? Who knows, who cares.

In Doom3 it's mentioned that Betruger was shipping religious and occult paraphernalia to Mars for his personal collection. Maybe he likes candles?

Captain Toenail said:

In Doom3 it's mentioned that Betruger was shipping religious and occult paraphernalia to Mars for his personal collection. Maybe he likes candles?

Yeah, but according to satanism, their candles are supposed to be black (just like the sticks in Doom!). Betruger failed because he ordered white, Christian-compatible candles, heh. Maybe it's white because he's a Doctor after all.

fraggle said:

I'm curious now. Somebody should do a gallery of all the appearances of candelabras in the game.

Decided to do it myself. Gallery of all the E1/2 candelabras (I missed out E3 because they're more appropriate for a hell setting).

"UAC Candelabra Factory" would be a great concept for a WAD.

Oddity strikes: are they shaped like tridents? Until thinking about this, I always thought their arms extended in four directions.

You have a weird way of looking at things.

If you pay attention to the skull engraved at the crosspart, you'll notice it wouldn't be possible for a branch to extend from it without ruining the bas-relief. Unless it's a medallion at the extremity? But from the two branches on the side, you can see they don't have such things.

printz said:

Oddity strikes: are they shaped like tridents?

Maybe the UAC and Demons were secret worshippers of the Serpent Riders and wanted to place their symbol everywhere as a sign of their devotion; having trident shaped candelabra's was the best way they could think of without drawing attention.