Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I have always felt that the plasma rifle in Doom 1 and 2 looks like an accordion. A deadly accordion. If you can't help but see this now, I am sorry.

A bunch of textures in some of the 32in24 wads say "YEDS" on them. I have no idea what that means.

40oz said:

A bunch of textures in some of the 32in24 wads say "YEDS" on them. I have no idea what that means.

YEDS stands for Yeoman Engineers and Designers of Software. I think it was a typo of "yes" made in #32in24 back around 2007-ish, which Shaikoten decided in the spur of the moment would become the name of the 32in24 team.

The 1st Gamer said:

I have always felt that the plasma rifle in Doom 1 and 2 looks like an accordion. A deadly accordion. If you can't help but see this now, I am sorry.

Very, very true...

The pistol has a face. I can't even see it as anything but a black triangle with a face, ever since the early 90's, when I was 3-4 years old. I understood what it was supposed to look like, I knew it was just a weird illusion, but what I always saw (and still see) is this:

The pistol is pretty depressed.

Cell said:

Ah, and I've never gotten to know what genre does that part remind me of so bad. Thanks Krazov, once again. :)

You’re welcome.

I think that this salsa part is responsible in large part for people thinking that “Doom II” soundtrack is elevator music. (Confession by the way: I like its elevatory qualities.) Up until Per Kristian Risvik’s version (to be found here) I didn’t pay attention to bass line. After that revelation I grew even fonder of “The Healer Stalks.”

Whenever I stumble upon new version of Doom music, I check it with “Into the Sandy City.” The opening charpsichord and guitars following soon after generally give me a picture of what to be expected from the whole set. I think it’s a tune quite easy to grasp (although I write it as a non-musician—it’s judged upon others approaches). Because of that I’m little fed up with this one. I never liked this composition as a choice for “The Pit,” it would sound much better with “Downtown.” I also think that piano version, as originally intended, sounds nice (DJ Redlight made that). But charpsichord rules.

I used to think that “Doom II” music is superior to the one from the first game, but later I discovered that “Doom” music works better in game. Listened outside sounds rather bland and repetitive. Cotecio or Steve Rot made it sound fine, but still—it’s much harder to make it to listen just like that. The best approach was in my opinion “Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos,” because they used it merely as a base for something more. But deep down inside I like all versions, except maybe for too heavy metal ones; not my thing.

My favourite compositions from first games are “Sign of Evil” and “Nobody Told Me About id”, and I think because of the fact that—being boss maps ilustrations—musically more happens there.

I gotta admit, I thought a lot about Doom music. I even wrote a piece on it: “Muzyka z Dooma” (it’s in Polish though, so the target is limited).

Doomkid said:

The pistol has a face. I can't even see it as anything but a black triangle with a face, ever since the early 90's, when I was 3-4 years old. I understood what it was supposed to look like, I knew it was just a weird illusion....

I knew I couldn't be the only one who saw a face, I've never been able to look at the pistol & say yes that looks like a pistol.

I showed today people at my work, as a presentation in a series of inside company meetings (kinda inner barcamps), how to make a Doom map (real basics), and they enjoyed that. And me too. And no wonder.

First time I played Doom I was so terrified I never wanted to play a first person shooter again... which was en empty promise, but still.

So what got me back into Doom? Well, I saw that terrible fucking movie and special features on the DVD included some Doom 3 stuff. It got me curious so I tried Doom 3, which ALSO scared me but this time it made me wanna get Doom 3 and then finally play the original in it's entirety. I didn't beat Doom 3 because my parents' computer was terrible but I did get the original and beat the game.

Pretty embarrassing origin but I guess I played the first one while it was still newish, I guess?

Also, I procrastinated forever on getting the PC versions of Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom. I dunno why but I did, for the longest time I only had Doom 3 on PC. I played Doom 1 on Xbox 360 and Doom 2... didn't happen until way too recently. I could've played Doom 2 earlier but I didn't wanna play it on Doom 3 BFG Edition for my PS3, I wanted play it on the PC like it was supposed to, which was like, one or two years ago. And I actually don't like Doom 2 much. I don't hate it but, well, I don't like it as much as the first. >w>;;

I do consider myself very much a Doom fan but the short version is I procrastinated on console version and my familiarity and love has mostly been for the original Doom, which is still my favorite. I don't think so fondly of Doom 3 anymore, though, it stopped being good and scary after they introduced all the monsters.

Right now I'm sorta trying to finally finish Plutonia but I'm a bit torn on playing it vanilla style or with Brutal Doom and I also have so many IRL things that I don't have the time to completely finish it in the near future.

And that was my tl;dr confession for those who care, which is probably no one. :P

I can have the full array of weapons and loaded up on ammunition, but I'll still try to make monsters infight first. If I see a particularly tempting match up, I'll save the game and reload until the desired result is achieved. In fact, I could probably have finished a level several times over by blasting my way through before getting past a couple pitched fights of this nature. This usually leaves me with a lot of unused items in a map, but for some reason, it makes me feel good to know there are still resources available if I need them. :)

I hate levels that has power metal songs or any "uplifting" chords in composition, no matter how much effort is put in the level itself.

The 1st Gamer said:

...plasma rifle in Doom 1 and 2 looks like an accordion.

Doomkid said:

The pistol has a face.

I played doom when I was about 4 as well, and nothing looked like a gun to me, especially with the HUD cutting off the bottom of the weapons: the pistol was a gorilla's face; the shotgun was just a gray triangle; the ssg was just a gray trapezoid with a line in down the middle; the chaingun was just a white semicircle; the rocket launcher was a gray semicircle; the plasma rifle was that accordion looking thing;

and the BFG was, and still is, the Big Face Gun.

After the years I still see a gray triangle. Might be a reason why I avoided this weapons for a long time. It just didn’t feel like shooting from a gun. It got better now.

NoisyVelvet said:

I played doom when I was about 4 as well, and nothing looked like a gun to me, especially with the HUD cutting off the bottom of the weapons: the pistol was a gorilla's face; the shotgun was just a gray triangle; the ssg was just a gray trapezoid with a line in down the middle; the chaingun was just a white semicircle; the rocket launcher was a gray semicircle; the plasma rifle was that accordion looking thing;
http://i.imgur.com/soIC49J.png
and the BFG was, and still is, the Big Face Gun.

I see a pair of ta-tas on that BFG. With a creepy white face on top. Huh...

PRIMEVAL said:

I see a pair of ta-tas on that BFG. With a creepy white face on top. Huh...

I had never seen that until now... But it's clear as day now.

Welp, it's determined: each Doom gun is officialy a weird, abstract object and not actually a gun.

kelliegator said:

Right now I'm sorta trying to finally finish Plutonia but I'm a bit torn on playing it vanilla style or with Brutal Doom

The wad is balanced for vanilla, so I find it to be much more "fair" that way (but who am I kidding, that wad is unfair as hell) I can say it's very fun with BD in cooperative mode though!

The demons have brought their reality to the guns, as well as the base.

Why do you think they never reload?!

Wait did anyone see the BFG like I did as a kid, it being the most awkward-to-hold-gun with a strange dual index finger trigger? Because I can't see those things as anything other than distal phalanges...

Piper Maru said:

I confess my love for Doom 3 and still play it to this very day. Now if only Phobos can be completed and released!

Amen.

So now I know one thing for sure: you’re not their father. Investigation continues.

Krazov said:

Are dobu gabu maru and Piper Maru a family?

My Doom confession is that whenever I see dobu gabu maru or dannebubinga, I read their name as

I just played through "Velocity", PRCP map12, which is of course a remake of "Speed" from Plutonia...by cheesing the absolute fuck out of it and making a mockery of its title. Corner camping, long-range rocket spamming, chaingun tapping, savescumming, you name it! We're talking King Campeslas of Camppadocia here. And then at the end of the level I retraced my steps to pick up everything I had missed and finished a remake of a level called "Speed" with over 15 minutes on the clock.

But at least I walked out with 190% health and armor and never went below 75% health in the entire level.