Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Hmm, lets see:

- The first ever version of doom I owned was the 32X version
- I miss the nightmare spectres from PS1 doom, even though it's just a spectre with a repaint and more HP
- I prefer to tap fire with a pistol over the chaingun for long range weak targets
- I've brought the PC version of doom three times
- I've been sitting on heretic and hexen for years and only very recently I've finished heretic and very close to finishing Hexen: deathkings...I regret not playing these games sooner
- I have a very good habit of foolishly charging into rooms filled with fireballs, rockets, etc. when I should be more focused on pulling while playing survival (something I really need to kick for good)
- I know I've missed out on a lot of popular WADs over the years...too many to name.

mrthejoshmon said:

"You will never escape!"

"You may have escaped, but your soul will burn in hell forever"

(Marine later escapes again)

Making progress Marine?

I can never remember whether getting to 101+ armor after picking a green armor through bonuses raises your damage absorption to 50%.

Knight Owl said:

The first ever version of doom I owned was the 32X version

No not the 32X!!! Anything but Doom on 32X!

I feel sorry for everyone who started with any pre-Xbox Doom port. (Not including PSX Doom and Doom 64.)

Piper Maru said:

I really like DTWID. There wasn't a level that I didn't like, but the most memorable for me have to be from the second episode...Rec Facility and Mental Ward stand out the best for me. Both are very moody and atmospheric levels which put me on edge. The team did a really good job!

Rec Facility is miles better than Refinery IMO. Though I didn't really like Inner Sanctum that much.

While repeatedly recording a -respawn speedrun demo on MAP05 of Kama Sutra I threw my mouse at the wall and broke it.

I have fits of rage when I used to speedrun and if you were to ever watch me IRL you wouldn't think I was enjoying myself one bit.

Patch93 said:

I feel sorry for everyone who started with any pre-Xbox Doom port. (Not including PSX Doom and Doom 64.)

Doom 64 wasn't really a port, it was it's own game entirely.

I haven't played any port other than the PS1, so I don't know how they really are.

TendaMonsta said:

While repeatedly recording a -respawn speedrun demo on MAP05 of Kama Sutra I threw my mouse at the wall and broke it.

I have fits of rage when I used to speedrun and if you were to ever watch me IRL you wouldn't think I was enjoying myself one bit.

I never understood the reason why do you gather rage from stuff like that, I only did that when I was younger.

I can understand the rage. However, when you're recording something on -fast for a few hundred times before getting it right, and doing that all the time, you'll get used to it. There's only so much rage inside. ;) These days, perhaps because I'm getting old and mellow, I'm more like "aah no, pfft oh well let's try again" when I die during a recording.

Kotzugi said:

However, when you're recording something on -fast for a few hundred times before getting it right

Isn't that's the whole point of breaking records? You have to do it alot and by every try you get better and eventually break the record or something.

joe-ilya said:

Isn't that's the whole point of breaking records?

I never contested that point. In fact I'm telling TendaMonsta that it's part of the package and one should eventually get used to it. If you're raging all the time you're gonna get tired pretty soon.

TendaMonsta said:

come to think of it, I too have rage moments with my mouse. I have my RMB set to "move forward" and oftentimes when I click he doesn't move. makes me angry; I might have to replace my mouse soon.

Kotzugi said:

If you're raging all the time you're gonna get tired pretty soon.

And that's why raging sucks but sometimes (very rarely) without any pressure or anger it's possible make it in 3rd try or whatever.
Thy point of raging is taking out all the pressure outer and outer.
(too far with my yoda bullshit)

joe-ilya said:

Thy point of raging is taking out all the pressure outer and outer.
(too far with my yoda bullshit)

I keep that pressure for when I finally beat the map. Sometimes I don't, and then I go punch something instead. (or hit a cricket/tennis ball). Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Mr. Smiley Head's Safari has got to be without a doubt the worst Doom WAD I have ever played. It isn't even hilariously bad, it's just bad as in painful to play. The thing that pissed me off the most about it is that it wasn't even a originally a PWAD, but an illegally modified version of Doom 1 that the author claimed as his own. That is just fucking sad. >:C

Patch93 said:

Mr. Smiley Head's Safari has got to be without a doubt the worst Doom WAD I have ever played. It isn't even hilariously bad, it's just bad as in painful to play. The thing that pissed me off the most about it is that it wasn't even a originally a PWAD, but an illegally modified version of Doom 1. That is just fucking sad. >:C

Not anywhere near as bad as Nazi Auferstehung.

Patch93 said:

I know. That's why I excluded it.

Oh. I thought that because excluded the PSX port, that you were also calling 64 a port. My bad.

I think I've already confessed to this, but I'll confess again since it's still true: I've never beaten Plutonia.

Also, I very rarely finish any 30-map MegaWADs. I tend to get tired of it around halfway in, when the maps start getting large. (You'd think Plutonia would be up my alley, then, since IIRC its maps aren't too big, but...)

mrthejoshmon said:

Not anywhere near as bad as Nazi Auferstehung.

Nazi Auferstehung is pretty abominable too, but I at least got a laugh out of it. Mr Smiley's Head Safari is just incredibly painful to play through with its MS Paint graphics, poorly textured and poorly designed maps, and maps ripped straight out of D!Zone compilations.

Patch93 said:

Nazi Auferstehung is pretty abominable too, but I at least got a laugh out of it. Mr Smiley's Head Safari is just incredibly painful to play through with its MS Paint graphics, poorly textured and poorly designed maps, and maps ripped straight out of D!Zone compilations.

Now that sounds bloody awful...

I must play this abomination, hopefully I can find a non-IWAD version.

Smiley Safari was great for its time. I think it deserves a lot of respect. Of course the new graphics\sounds are pretty silly nowadays but it's an example of a very early total conversion with quite a lot of effort put into all the monster sprites and stuff. But even if you just delete them with a lump editor, you're still left with a decent compilation of 1994 maps with some really cool MIDI tunes. It's not heroes.wad or anything when it comes to the level qualiy but they are still quite nice. And as for the legal stuff, well, it was a different time, noone really cared back then.

I understand ofc that most people will desagree with this, not everyone has a 1994 fever. :) (I've been playing 1994 levels almost exclusively for the last few days and I kind of feel like only now I'm beginning to understand what Doom is really about, heh)

Memfis said:

whatever, it's still a great 1994 time capsule :)

TBH I have been playing through a directory filled with Maximum Doom wads and I am having fun...

By laughing at the dubious quality and terrible design, makes me feel better about my wads and this "Smiley" Doom has come up with screenshots of an absolutely bastardized Doom with mix and (no) match sprites stirred in with shit D!ZONE mapping tropes (You know the ones with the bullshit designs and awful shit like STARTAN corridors and random texturing mixed with extra gameplay bullshit)... I love it.

Here is my big confession.... For the first 8 years of Doom's release, I did not own a legal copy. One day at the mall with some spare change in my pocket I saw the Collector's Edition - all three games only sans the Master Levels, on a nicely convenient Compact Disc, for only like 10$. As the ENDOOM screen had etched to my brain, being a freeloader would send me to an eternity of hellfire so I turned to the Lord and paid my share.

I confess that I just started building my own levels and it's not as complicated as I originally thought. I have a long way to go yet, but I'm really enjoying it.

Since I keep seeing Duke Nukem 3D pop up, I'm going to make a non-Doom confession: I really didn't care for Duke3D at all. I had a press beta even, and after I played through it I thought "well that was kind of neat, lol strippers" and then was basically done with it. Played DM a few times and that didn't grab me either.