Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

nxGangrel said:

I've never found the exit to map 15 "Industrial zone" in Doom 2. I've always went through the secret exit.

When I first played this map, I've also found the secret exit before the normal exit. At that time, I didn't thought that the Nazis were a Easter egg, because I had played Wolfenstein before and I knew both games were made by the same company. Later, when I found MAP32, then I thought that was the secret level.

Cell said:

MAP15 [...] a certain secret in the greenish brick building. The one which is activated by a rusty lion switch up in the bastion-designed area, leading to the another on the other side of the yellow door via a fast metallic elevator [...] it is much easier to drop out and re-enter the building than trying to rush downstairs indoors

I've never thought of this outside route - interesting one!

I've never been able to locate the secret exit in MAP15, until I've seen a video of it. Normal exit was obscured, but actually clearer and easier to find for me.

I found the Wolfenstein level by complete accident when I was playing Co-op with my brother.

But maybe that happens to a lot of people.

axdoom1 said:

When I first played this map, I've also found the secret exit before the normal exit.

I never really knew if it was just a me thing or other people actually have the same... I'll say, problem.
I've only made a full play though on Doom 2 a handful of times, and well you get the idea.

@cell
No comment.

I notice misaligned textures with 1px precision only when I map. (While playing I’m blind to that. It must be this fast paced action.) It makes my mapping much slower because I can’t go any further with map until I align everything.

Krazov said:

I notice misaligned textures with 1px precision only when I map. (While playing I’m blind to that. It must be this fast paced action.) It makes my mapping much slower because I can’t go any further with map until I align everything.

Ever since my first little map set, and got called out on misaligned textures, I take forever looking at every little thing hoping it looks right.

I have a mediocre OCD so no one needs to tell me. But still, it’s kind of tiresome. Like, you know, I could do that at the end.

Aligning textures slows down my mapping considerably, because I align everything already as I build the architecture, and I don't feel comfortable to continue expanding the map until I make sure that there are no bad misalignments, because I fear forgetting about them later and the possibility makes me unsettled.

If I didn't know about Essel's heavy phobia of Autoalign, I'd suggest it at no restrictions, but he taught me some essential lessons about Autoalign Abuse. I'm too lazy to search for that particular thread and link it, but I'll explain in short:

When the texturing theme tiles "unarrangedly" or "semi-arrangedly" (e.g. no clear borders on display dividing strictly distinct units of 32, 64, etc. wide panels and so), like for "unarranged", there is a good example of any rocky and generally outdoors-type textures, or "semi-arranged" is the class of mostly brick walls which are in general are more concerned in vertical tiling than horizontal, then Autoalign is allowed. The main difference between "unarranged" and "semi-arranged" type textures in terms of being allowed to Autoalign freely, that "unarranged" ones are best-looking when designed in a mish-mash angle manner, whilst "semi-arranged" ones are still more comfortable-looking when having only orthogonal - and in some rare cases, diagonal - lines, only depending on their initial setup and thus the degree relation of the surrounding edges.

Here comes the thing with "arranged" textures. They generally have their display at their best when orthogonal, diagonal, or cleverly curled, just like "semi-arranged" ones, but Autoalign-rage makes all the shit mess up and look embarrassingly stupid unless all walls are orthogonal and are multiple of the basic texture tile, which, on the other hand, provides itself extremely dull after a certain amount of linedefs and vertexes. Spicing all the stuff with diagonality and soft curves may enhance aesthetism, but square root 8192 (~91) is only a distorted multiple of 64, hence it doesn't fullfil the general requirements. Solution? Split linedef and offset the two halves (or if in for something radder, the three thirds, four fourths, etc.)' sidedef textures individually for it to look the best. Same goes for curving off a specific tile texture, though, depending on how many separate lines the curve consists of, this is from a bit to a lot harder to handle.

Hope this may help all and every people to decrease their OCD stress.

I try to vary textures and not to cover entire walls monochromatically, also I try to use horizontal borderline textures, and that's why autoalign wouldn't usually help me anyway (and I'm afraid of the unpleasant things it does to strictly tiling textures placed over corners).

EDIT: But I do use autoalign everywhere where the issues above are not a concern!

You can still make use of autoalign even if you want to be mindful of texture edges: the trick is to select the relevant lines in visual mode before using it, so it'll only affect those selected lines. That way you can use it to quickly fix alignment oddities on a known area, while keeping it from messing with every adjacent same-textured line.

Using a selection to contain an autoalign is especially useful when working with rocks and other organic structures, since you can get the ease of autoalignment while still deciding where the (usually unavoidable) seams need to go, based on where they seem the least noticeable.

Also, vertical autoalign is <3

esselfortium said:

Also, vertical autoalign is <3

But how to use it? What settings should the surrounding walls have to get aligned? For me it usually either does nothing or makes an even bigger mess. No idea how it works.

esselfortium said:

the trick is to select the relevant lines in visual mode before using it, so it'll only affect those selected lines. That way you can use it to quickly fix alignment oddities on a known area, while keeping it from messing with every adjacent same-textured line.

I wonder if there are people using autoalign who didn't know this...

Memfis said:

But how to use it? What settings should the surrounding walls have to get aligned? For me it usually either does nothing or makes an even bigger mess. No idea how it works.

To use vertical autoalign, upper and lower textures have to be upper and lower unpegged. 1-sided lines have to *not* be unpegged.

It only works with those settings because lines with those settings will all look the same at a given alignment regardless of the adjacent sectors or whether they're 1s/2s.

It can take a bit of getting used to (i.e. not using lower unpegged as an alignment shortcut on 1-sided lines) but it saves a lot of time aligning for complex structures.

I've been learning French for 5 entire years and made a successful intermediate language exam as well. Due to this, I always thought that Avoozl's name comes from the French word 'aveugle', which is an adjective meaning 'blind'. Not really a Doom confession, rather a Boards confession, mainly made now because his current avatar even reflects my view somehow - a gif of a dirty and seemingly old eyeball.

Back then, I was terribly afraid of even pulling one of those switches in the beginning of E2M8. I thought if I did so, the dead Barons would be resurrected and attack me in that confined tiny space.

I only recently realized that your fight with the cyberdemon is meant to take place on the very top of the Tower of Babel. The whole time previous I just thought that id was dumb and thought a tiny shed could pass for a tower.

1) My first time playing Doom was Doom for SNES around '96. My cousin had it and I thought the controls were too bad so I didn't play far.

2) The next time I saw Doom was Doom 95 a couple years later while staying with my grandma one summer (not sure why she owned Doom but she owned a few PC games). I remembered my SNES experience so I played SWAT 2 (why did she have this either??? my grandma didnt even play games) instead.

3) I remained Doomless and when Doom 3 was coming out I was looking forward to Half-Life 2 instead. I liked the Doom movie when I saw it in theaters.

5) I got wind of Freedoom and PrBoom around 2006 so I messed around a little bit with it cause I figured what the hell, it was free (and I am no pirate). Considering how early alpha it was it didn't keep my attention. Messed around with it again a couple years later but same thing.

4) Finally, during some Steam summer sale (2010?) I bought the Doom pack because it was cheap enough. Didn't play anything though cause it was a summer sale and I bought a lot of other games too

5) Early 2013. I am looking through my huge list of unplayed Steam games. Oh yeah... Doom! Wait, what the hell are "The Master Levels" ??? Having heard of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom, I decided to try Master Levels cause I knew nothing about it. I loved it. I've since played all of Doom I, all of Doom II, all of Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, and currently playing through Evilution!! Yeah!!!

6) My first exposure at length to Doom was The Master Levels :O

Doom-wise: The first time I ever actually beat DOOM without cheating was when I played it on the first official iPhone port (it would play demos! That was so sick! I'm sad the current port's menu doesn't do that.)

Forums-wise, because I might as well confess it: I open up Post Hell every now and then because I like the music that plays.

Allie said:

Forums-wise, because I might as well confess it: I open up Post Hell every now and then because I like the music that plays.

On the other hand, I personally want to know a way how to mute it.
Of course, there is the option to mute my music output device, but browsing PH often takes more time than expected and I'm prone to get down to listening to some music which isn't quite well enjoyable if interfered by that one.

Open console (F12 in Chrome, Opera, and Firefox), and type this:

document.querySelectorAll('embed[src="http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/scorchsav.swf"]')[0].remove();
Downside is that you have to type it on each page, every time. So not very comfortable. You could use Greasemonkey (Fx), or Violent Monkey (Opera), or Tampermonkey (Chrome), and load a script with this one line.

I just checked in Tampermonkey, and this works:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         Silent Post Hell
// @namespace    http://your.homepage/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Makes Post Hell Silent
// @author       Krazov
// @match        http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post-hell/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

document.querySelectorAll('embed[src="http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/scorchsav.swf"]')[0].remove();
First sounds might be heard, but then it goes silent.

Other options would be blocking http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/scorchsav.swf in hosts file, or with Fiddler (that would be overkill, though).

Piper Maru said:

I confess that sometimes I make the Doomguy pain sound, usually after fajita night.

You're not the only one... Just not the last part.

I will usually grunt like doom guy when opening doors with a push handle. I also sometimes make the door sound when there are automatic doors...

"baweeeoon"

Piper Maru said:

I confess that sometimes I make the Doomguy pain sound, usually after fajita night.

Have you ever heard the "Doomguy's pain sounds like taking a dump in reverse" wav file? 'Cuz it helps people emulate that better.