Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Do you avoid power-ups?

Ultraboy94 said:

See, the invincibility powerup would be far better if you had whatever weapon you were holding flash colours, like when you grab the invisibility powerup and your gun turns semi-invisible.

I completely agree with this. I'm envisioning a yellow glow on the weapons to match the yellow glowing eyes of the Doomguy. Maybe even a subtle yellow glow around the screen... Man, that would have been much better. Adding this to the A-Team's Ascension project wishlist.

Yeah, invisibility only. Berserk and the others are too beneficial not to pick up. Why would I avoid a rad suit because of some color change?

Now, do I map with them in mind? Not so much.

I use any power-up
but for invunerable I want lots of guns and ammo since its a typical trap

If the map is low on health, I try to save berzerker pack until I really need it.

I avoid rad suit unless it's obvious which direction to take in nukage. If it's not obvious, I try to explore the surroundings a bit first.

I'll grab invis sphere if there's a lot of monsters nearby, or if I feel like it. It's not that important...

The invuln sphere is saved until I can figure out why it was placed there. The palette change is very disorienting, so I mentally map out the surroundings first, to avoid getting confused and going the wrong way.

Sure red colored textures are quite ugly if you're using radsuit and vice versa, berserk just picked up makes shit look better than any green textures around. But it doesn't disturb me.

The berserk-inviciblity-radsuit combo, even if it's also poisoned by some invisiblity sphere induced "fight-of-them-ants"-looking weapon at teh bottom of the screen... now that does!!!
VIVA LA EPILEPSY!!!!!!!!111!!!O1!!1NE!!!!11!1!!!111111

I try to avoid invisibility because 99% of the time I manage to dodge into the damn fireballs. Invulnerability I will leave until I find out what it's there for so I don't end up wasting it. Berserk I won't get until I have low health.

If I pick up a screen altering powerup and there is no obvious need for it I stand still and wait for that shit to come off my monitor.

The only palette changing I like are item and damage flashes. The rest are just 90s gimmickery.

Yeah actually... the one i hate even more than the two mentioned is the Light Amplification Visor. I hate every sector to have all lights maxed. That can make even the best looking maps look like crap (okay maybe an exaggeration). I do avoid that item from time to time.

I usually avoid those powerups that imps throw at you. They reduce your health and I don't see the value in that at all.

40oz said:

I usually avoid those powerups that imps throw at you. They reduce your health and I don't see the value in that at all.

Animosity Spheres? There is some value. Manipulate the imps to throw them into different races of monster and watch the hate.

I tend to avoid all items in doom, as I don't like the momentary screen flash that occurs after acquiring them. If I reach a locked door, I just continuously hump it until the computer dies.

I only play on nightmare difficulty so I don't think avoiding power-ups is even a possibility! Although, I do avoid the invisibility since it randomizes projectiles making them harder to dodge.

DLRArchangel said:

I only play on nightmare difficulty so I don't think avoiding power-ups is even a possibility! Although, I do avoid the invisibility since it randomizes projectiles making them harder to dodge.

But hitscanners are murder on NM

I don't exactly "avoid" them, but rather try to pick them up with some strategic foresight and at the appropriate time, e.g. to avoid wasting a 25 HP medikit on a 90% healthy marine. Same thing with ammo pickups.

Invisibility is perhaps the only bad powerup in the entire game, though. It defeats the purpose of dodging and circlestrafing (so it's actually a HANDICAP for the player) and proves Jodwin point that if the monsters didn't shoot so predictably, Doom would be a lot harder.

Invisibility essentially randomizes the monster aim, and as sure as it is that they will miss versus a moving player, they actually have SOME chance of luckily leading their aim properly when the player is "partially invisible".

I've seen quite a lot of deathmatch demos using good old -deathmatch instead of -altdeath. I wonder why. Are powerups and other objects so worthless they don't need to respawn?

40oz said:

I do.

yellowmadness54 said:

Am I the only person who does my absolute best to avoid powerups such as the invisibility, and invulnerability?

When ever I am playing, and see these powerups, I will refuse to pick to them up, and hope I don't. I don't like the colour of the screen changing, or the weird moving dots of my invisible gun. And I hate the colour of the invunerability on my screen (that bright white) I also attempt this often with the radiation suits.

* Hellbent slaps yellowmadness54 around a bit with a large trout.

I avoid them until the end of the level, where I try to finish at 100%/200% of everything.

Nope. No reason to avoid picking up something that would give you an advantage in battle. I mean sure, avoiding soulspheres/blue armor/megaspheres when their effects would be wasted but other than that...

Depends.

Soul spheres I tend to wait with picking up until my health is full, so I get the maximum of its benefits. I also tend to not pick them up until I am at the end of the level, but not always.

Mega spheres are kinda the same deal. I pick them up when I need to.

Blur spheres I pick up, even if they don't give any actual benefits (in my eyes). Zdoom's extra invisibility against enemy eyes also make them more useful.

Berserk I always pick up to get under its influence. If there's more on one level, I treat it as a full recovery item and use it when necessary.

Invuls I use when I need to rip and tear through hordes of enemies.