Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redeemer

Can anyone tell which Megawads i should download!

Ok i was wondering if anyone can give me any names of good megawads that are out there that i can play either for UDoom or Doom 2 or PL.

ok thanks.

Best suggestion is to go through the 10 years of Doom top 100 WADs - not all are MegaWADs but the list should cover the best known ones from the first 10 years. After that, check through the Cacowards (/11years, /12years, etc.) which list the best WADs released since then.

You can also use the /idgames interface to list the top WADs. Or check out /idgames/doom2/megawads - there's an equivalent directory for Doom 1 MegaWADs.

Ok cool thank you its just that i needed some other doomers to show me the goods i was just getting sick of playing doom 2 and Udoom over and over again thank you dude!

For Doom:
2002 A Doom odyssey
For Doom 2:
Requiem, Scythe 1 and 2, Hell revealed 1 and 2, Alien vendetta, Kama sutra, Speed of Doom, Plutonia 2, Community chest 1, 2 and 3, NewDoom community project 1 and 2, 10 sectors 1 and 2 and the 1024 suite…

fraggle said:

After that, check through the Cacowards (/11years, /12years, etc.) which list the best WADs released since then.

A subjective opinion is subjective. ;)

If you want some specifics now in case you don't want to go searching, I have some good suggestions:

Speed of Doom (One of the best ever.)
Alien Vendetta (It's hyped to death, but it deserves every bit of it.)
ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom (A community compilation WAD, but each episode has a clear theme. Most of the maps are quite nice and very lovely. There's also a bit of variety of styles in terms of gameplay.)
Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos (if you like invasion-style fights, then give this a try.)
It Only Gets Worse (This is an entertaining joke WAD if you want to play something silly)
Whispers of Satan (The first 1/3rd is very slow moving and kind of so-so, but if you stick it out, the second third is much better and the final third is amazing.)
Plutonia 2 (If you loved "The Plutonia Experiment," then this is for you. Actually, even if you're not a big fan of it, "Plutonia 2" is still worth a gander. It's very pretty, quite challenging, and full of surprises.)
Congestion 1024 (Maps are limited to a size of 1024x1024, but they are all very charming and quaint and lots of fun.)
Claustrophobia 1024 (Sequel to "Congestion 1024" that brings more of the same, but it's all still fantastic work.)
Claustrophobia 1024 2: The Mystery of Too Many Maps (This one isn't as good as the first two entries, but it's still fun and challenging with great visuals.)
Diet 32in24 (One of the few single-player compatible megaWADs in the 32in24 series, and this one is pure gold. It's hilarious, like a joke wad, but the maps are absolutely beautiful.)
Hell Revealed (The famous slaughter WAD of epic slaughtery goodness.)
Hell Revealed 2 (More of the same, but this time, with some better visuals, in my opinion.)
Scythe (Another famous slaughter WAD with short, quick maps and lots of combat. It wasn't my cup of tea because the visuals weren't for me, but lots of people like it, so give it a true.)
Scythe 2 (The sequel is visually superior, in my opinion, and it packs a brutal punch just like the first "Scythe." The last handful of maps are very lovely to look at...and very, very violent.)
Community Chest 3 (The best of the Community Chest series, I think.)
NewDoom Community Project II (Not as good as CC3, but there's still plenty of great maps to be had.)
The Rebirth (A Doom II megaWAD replacement. It's not my style, but I hear it's great stuff. Plus it's by Vader, and he's got some real talent.)
Cold As Hell (The gameplay irks me, so I didn't like it much. However, many people do, and I do admit that the graphics are amazing, the music is very atmospheric, and it's probably the best looking winter-themed WAD out there. I recommend you give it a try and see what you think.)
Eternal Doom (I-III) (Classic megaWAD is classic. It's (in)famous for having large, complex maps, but it's not that bad. It's surprisingly lovely to look at for a 1997 creation, and the music is pleasant.)
Memento Mori (Classic 1996 megaWAD that has charm.)
Memento Mori 2 (The equally charming class sequel.)
Cyberdreams (One of the most unique WADs ever made that pits you only against Cyberdemons, and you have to be clever to survive as you don't get any weapons save your pistol and your fists. Highly recommended!)
Herian 2 (A successful mix of Heretic, Hexen, and Doom that results in a lovely fantasy/medieval experience.)
Epic 2 (A bizarre but intriguing mix of Egypt and other-worldly environments. Eternal is a great mapper, so this is definitely a must play!)