Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Quake or Doom: Which was better and why

Doom is better.

Deathmatch pace of doom is incomparable, it is extremely fast and I like it. No time to think, pure endless bloodbath, especially on levels like judas23. While Q deathmatch is more technical, more strategic, more of a mindgame. I don't like much that type of deathmatch.

Weapons in Doom are extremely powerful. I hate it when it comes to kill your enemy with at least several shots. On the other hand, in Doom your one SSG shot removes 210% (approximately) of health. That's the way I like it.

In player vs. monsters I find Doom also more entertaining because of very different monsters. There are lots of weak monsters and some tough. While in Quake you'll have to deal only with relatively tough, making most of your battles look like one on one, instead one vs the whole crowd, like in Doom.

The only thing that is better in Q is its 3D-ness. Sometimes in Doom I miss that 3d type of levels, but not so often.

You know, I love both equally.

But I'd have to go with Doom the simple fact (yes, a fact) that those early low-res 3D models in Quake haven't aged anywhere near as well as Doom's sprites. Quake has a special place in my heart for what it was, but I can't play it to this day without being distracted by it's primitive 3D graphics engine, unlike Doom, which obviously also looks old but in a way which is much easier on the eye. And yes, I know there's that QDoom thing out there but this is besides the point.

SeanWJF said:

Quake is a beautiful and unique snowflake, a brown one.

A shitflake? Makes sense.

Jodwin said:

A shitflake? Makes sense.

Now that is a strange image.

I remember back in the day I was like "Look at this new game. It is a thousand times better than Doom." But when I played it again recently I wasn't drawn in like I was with Doom this second time around. I just think Doom has loads more charm (Loaded words are great because I don't have to actually explain myself).

I'll have to ask this question on a Quake forum.

Quake was technically excellent and it impressed the hell out of me when it came out, but Doom is a better game overall. It is simple, well-balanced, and easy to mod. I also prefer the weapons and monsters in Doom.

Ultraboy94 said:

If I said Quake, I would be on a Quake website and have never even been on Doomworld, surely?

Not necessarily :P I prefer Quake over Doom, but I love both games. Just whenever I go to a Quake forum, more people care about Q2 which is the one I don't really like. Or even worse, Q3 which I hate.

Q1 = brilliant, atmospheric and unique.
Q2 = Slower paced, 'modern' setting, more realistic settings, for better or worse..
Q3A = Best multiplayer ever. (Even more than Doom, but only just.)
Q4 = Both singleplayer and multiplayer are good but generic. Halo style gameplay, linear out the wazoo.

Leo Sosnine said:

While Q deathmatch is more technical, more strategic, more of a mindgame.

Not sure if I can agree with you there...although quake deathmatch might be just a tad slower than Doom, it's not significant enough to eliminate the hyper fast gameplay element.

Doom for single player/co-op, Quake for deathmatch.

Doom DM fucking sux and everyone knows it, Quak DM (especially Q2) DM fucking rules and everyone who disagrees simply sucks at it.

Doom.

For me Quake is a remake of Doom compromised to work on a "new technology" engine. As a result it suffers. It should have been better and I love the soundscape of Quake but, overall, it is inferior to Doom as a game IMO despite being more technologically advanced.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Q1 = brilliant, atmospheric and unique.
Q2 = Slower paced, 'modern' setting, more realistic settings, for better or worse..
Q3A = Best multiplayer ever. (Even more than Doom, but only just.)
Q4 = Both singleplayer and multiplayer are good but generic. Halo style gameplay, linear out the wazoo.

This is a good model to follow.

Q1 = Good atmosphere, unique settings, some rather interesting monster designs (Shambler and that flying thing), great deathmatch
Q2 = Also good atmosphere, a little more slower paced, a lot of interesting and varied enemies, BFG is pretty awesome in this game
Q3A = Awesome Multiplayer, amazingly bloody, great maps, varied level designs provide interesting changes in environments
Q4 = No experience except for the Demo, looked a lot like Area 51

ET:QW = Alright multiplayer, somewhat boring modern weapon designs, strong voice acting though

I must admit, Quake III had me hooked for ages, but I always come beck to Doom.

Incidentally, while I put UD, D2, FD, ML and NRFTL under the banner of "classic Doom", I treat each of the Quake games as seperate entities. For the purpose of this thread I assume that it refers specifically to Q1, in which case Enjay summed it up.

Enjay said:

For me Quake is a remake of Doom compromised to work on a "new technology" engine.

I never understood this. It never felt like Doom to me. Different monsters, different weapons, different setting, different feel all together. Sure, it had episodes, but that shouldn't be all that made it "Doom?" Quake 2 on the other hand felt almost exactly like Doom, just slower. Mostly metal soundtrack, lots of tech-base, some similar monsters and even similar weapons. It had the BFG for crying out loud! X)

My take on Quake 1:

+Best gibs ever
+Best sfx ever
+Better DM
+When it comes to modding logic, is arguably easier and more capable
(try making an equivalent to QuakeRally in any Doom engine without
editing the source of the executable). (1)
+Revolutionized mainstream online multiplayer by cutting out middlemen
like Kali and TEN with its direct TCP/IP code. (2)
(1,2: less relevant as time goes on)

+(-?)Spawned 'machinima'
-Dry weapon selection
+Streamlined weapon selection and added resistances to monsters
(games had really started to go overboard with weapon count and gimmicks)
-Slower, less populous game (goes with atmosphere..)
-Lame bosses
+Tension is heightened if you're an average player not glazed over with ennui: Creepy environments, Quakeguy seems more fragile on top
of being slower, monsters are pretty tough in general later on.
+(-?)Despite the incursion of more modern elements, it still remembers
it's a game and does not take itself too seriously; Level design
still mimics Doom's abstractness, keeping the general feel of levels
being more like the tiled mazes of old shareware games vs funneled
narrative "experiences".

I'd think of more negatives, but I have a big soft spot for the game
and I need to sleep already.

In general I believe Doom is the better game, but I still love Quake 1.

I find the arguments of the Quake guy being slower amusing in light of more recent games. Quake 1 and 3 in particular have blazingly fast players compared to modern games.

When quake was published, I did not like it at all. I thought it was a nice engine without a game. I did not like gameplay at all. I put the CD aside for several years and came back to it _after_ finishing Quake2
(which I prefer over Q1 still today).

But DOOM is much better in many ways:

Singleplayer:
-------------

Nice Story, fantastic level design, good amount of secrets,
enough key cards to keep the tension, and Icon Of SIN =
BEST BOSS ever!

Multiplayer/Deathmatch:
-----------------------
Hey! For this game John Romero invented the term DEATHMATCH

If you like it simple:
+ Just run and shoot! -no jump, no look up and down.

If you like it complicated:
Many anvanced tricks, which are hard to master
Wall & strafe running, silent BFG ...

+ Best weapon balance EVER

And finally: Nothing touched my more than Daisy's cruel fate!!

Just for the record, Quake only has falling sounds (like Doom :p) and
no footstep sounds. Later games do though, and Darkplaces might add
them to Q1(not sure), confusing things.

You can't even really compare them. They were both hugely influential games and both brought a lot of new features to the genre.

It just comes down to which game you prefer. Considering we're posting on Doomworld and not QuakeOne, I think the most common answer should be obvious.

Reiken said:

Just for the record, Quake only has falling sounds (like Doom :p) and
no footstep sounds. Later games do though, and Darkplaces might add
them to Q1(not sure), confusing things.

DarkPlaces adds a lot of things to Quake. I'm not sure if by default footsteps are added but somewhere within the mod, there's a mod that'll activate that. It also adds (by activation) right aligned guns, Ogre/Zombie aiming, gibbing corpses, falling damage for enemies, double damage for your guns (more realistic?), monster rocket jumping (kinda funny), damaging liquids for monsters (funny seeing a Fiend jump into lava and fry instantly), and a whole buttload of other crap.

Doom wins in the SP department. Quake dominates Doom in terms of multiplayer, at least in duels. QW was the start of amazing mp gameplay.

Yep. Is there a Quake World?

Both are two of my all-time favorite classic FPS games ever up there with Wolfenstein 3D, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood.

I play Doom the most out of all of these however.