Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Quake or Doom: Which was better and why

Quake 4 is very boring compared to the others, Quake 3 had potential but they had to make it a multiplayer game. Quake 1 & 2 are the best out of that series for me.

DeathevokatioN said:

Quake 3 had potential but they had to make it a multiplayer game.

The potential to be the best duel game ever - which it accomplished. Sif act like because it's a multiplayer game that's a bad thing.

xvertigox said:
if you want actual QW sites check http://www.quakeworld.nu/ and http://www.quakeone.com/

I think he means 'holistic' Doomworld-type of sites for Quake. The Quake community is fragmented with individual forums for mappers, modders, QW players and Netquake players (both mp, QuakeOne being the latter). Of course, the outcome of asking such a question anywhere there should be quite clear.

kmxexii said:

That said, I dream some day that the more interesting Quake monsters (Fiend, Scrag, Ogre, Vore, Shambler) get a sprite treatment similar to the Doom style so we can have a bigger, uglier happy family of monsters. Hell, maybe even the Spawn.

A couple people from the zdoom forums have made at least one, a doomy version of the Scrag.

What was Quake 1's backstory? Timetravel into midievil times?

Back in 1996, Blue's News was probably the closest thing to a Quake community website. There wasn't any forum (that's what Usenet newsgroups were for) but it had links to everything and lots of daily news updates.

One of my old favorite Quake 1 sites:
http://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/hosted.planetquake.gamespy.com/spq2/quake1/index.htm

A lot of these sites have come and gone, sometimes surviving a "relocation" to another web host, but eventually fading away...

Last night I played the 3 level Quake 2 demo. I own Quake 2 ... somewhere. But I saw A LOT of enemies with that 3 level demo. No frogs. At the end of the 3 levels I wanted to play more. It wasn't like Doom 1's demo where I played 8 levels I was good.

Seeing the enemy AI even reminded me of all of the footage I've seen of Rage and leads me to believe the AI hasn't changed much in 15 years but they say it has and hype it up!

This review is good :-)

It seems like this game became that alien bug invasion game on XBLA.

In the end I think Romero tried to tank the game. He just wanted his money and thought why make a Meh shooter when I can fuck over the company?

Personally... I've done this. Worked for a company that I hated so I fucked them over. Like they had me design touch screen kiosk software in Flash (because HTML was too iffy with their WiFi). Well I grew to hate the dickhead project supervisor... So when I quit and he demanded I give up the source code I rewrote the entire thing from Actionscript 3 to Actionscript 2 :-) And gave it to him.

Now that I'm done with that written review... I'm gonna watch youtube reviews.

Not to totally derail the topic, but I've been playing Daikatana for GBC. Wow this is a fantastic game. Like a linier Zelda. Its probably one of the best games for GBC.

geo said:

I've been wondering if more technology makes games worse.

No it doesn't. That's why I play Doom with GZDoom to have free mouselook and OpenGL. After Quake, I didn't want to go back to keyboard only control scheme and pixilated graphics.

I love Doom and Quake equally. Quake 2 would be my all-time favourite if I had to chose...

geo said:
I've been wondering if more technology makes games worse.

It definitively can be abused and lead to worse games if using it becomes too accessible, especially when some NEW! and ENHANCED! technology gets pimped as the "End All, Be All".

Look up buzzwords such as "Virtual Reality", "Full Motion Video", "Interactive Multimedia", or mid-90s mania with 3D pre-renderings. Also, some pityful forced 3D-ifications of Pacman, Frogger, Bubble Bobble etc. which were made mostly because a) it was possible b) it was hip

Also, think of how easy it was for a team of wannabe programmers to slap together Visual Basic, some 3D toolkit and come together with something like Ethnic Cleansing or Big Rigs.

For a more modern example, check out how "social media" and mobile touchscreens leads to the weight of game-making getting biased towards point-and-click casual puzzle games.

For those of us around back in the early 90's, we witnessed the giant leap after Wolfenstein3D to Doom which was separated by a year only. I don't think that I need to explain the impact on the PC gaming world that Doom made in 1993. Enter 1994 and those of us paying attention were getting buzz from the guys at id about Quake. Quake was to be so much better than Doom 2. Romero told us that we'd play as a Thor like character and wield a hammer, that we'd be able to have nearly unlimited freedom of exploration, wander realistic look forests, and so on.

With that kind of hype in place, the sad realization was that Quake, while trying to reinvent the wheel by going full 3D, was a little squarish. Remember those old days when all games were going 3D in the mid to late 90's, with all the blocky, ugly look graphics? Back then I was wishing that I'd get my classics back, and the industry would stop focusing on tech over fun gameplay. So, in essence, Quake was an inferior copy of Doom, with newer tech! The gameplay was pretty much the same - shoot ugly monsters, explore dungeons, find keys, find exists. The difference was that the imagination was sucked out of it, while Carmack got more and more focused on Tech and Romero was shown the door. I don't get excited over id titles any more.

bimlanders said:

Romero told us that we'd play as a Thor like character and wield a hammer, that we'd be able to have nearly unlimited freedom of exploration, wander realistic look forests, and so on.

If you replace the hammer with a certain sword and remember what the first level of a certain game looks like, guess what you'd have on your hands...

...so it was more like something Romero had to get out of his system?

You get a hammer in Daikatana.... the GBC version too.

To think Morrowind became the FPS RPG that Romero wanted Quake to be.

Maes said:

If you replace the hammer with a certain sword and remember what the first level of a certain game looks like, guess what you'd have on your hands...

...so it was more like something Romero had to get out of his system?

Good point. But perhaps Romero with Carmack would have made a game worth putting both of their names on? It seems that separating them was the end for me.

I would love to see a reboot of Quake with modern technology. I don't think there are any horror FPSes like that. Most are more like Aliens (like Doom) not Lovecraft scary stuff.

Quake V Doom?
Quake has better maps, obviously.

Mr. T said:

I would love to see a reboot of Quake with modern technology. I don't think there are any horror FPSes like that. Most are more like Aliens (like Doom) not Lovecraft scary stuff.

Quake V Doom?
Quake has better maps, obviously.

You might have seen the following:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/shamblers-castle
http://www.doomwadstation.com/doom3tc/quakemod/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lemzKrumqhs
http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/

Maes said:

Also, some pityful forced 3D-ifications of Pacman, Frogger, Bubble Bobble etc.

I've got Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge, and it was pretty good, I thought.

kristus said:

Which is basically an upgraded Quake engine.

Really? As in Quake 1 engine? That's pretty damn cool actually.

I believe that HL1's engine is Quake with Quake2 features, but HL2 is entirely seperate?

Quake 1 > Goldsrc (Gold Source) > Source

The way I heard the HL1 engine explained... and then read on Wikipedia.... HL1 uses Goldsource which is a modified Quake 1 engine. Then Source engine is a modified GoldSource engine.

I've been playing a lot of Goldsource / Source engine games lately. Team Fortress 2, Half Life 1 and Vampire the Mascarade.

btw... now I'm really far in Half Life 1 and its getting frustratingly tough. I'm at the point with the helicopter, the mineflied and the giant tenticle. I just beat it after 5 hours of frustrating deaths and went on to hug the side of black mesa.

The controls aren't precise enough to cling to the side of a mesa so fuck is it frustrating. I'd rather grab a gun and cling to the side of a mesa myself while being shot at instead of put up with the controls. Other than that the game has been tons of fun :-) Better than Doom 3 and one of the best games I've ever played.

Playing the source engine in Vampire the Mascarade... its clunky. Real clunky. Its not as evident as when in combat. I can't wait to play Half Life 2 which uses the same engine to compare it. Plus HL2 and the Mascarade came out the same week or around the same time... using the same engine.

bimlanders said:The difference was that the imagination was sucked out of it, while Carmack got more and more focused on Tech and Romero was shown the door. I don't get excited over id titles any more.

Agreed.

Leo Sosnine said:

Agreed.

Yeah, I mean that I went from playing the freeware Keen games (1 and 4) to shareware Wolf3D, and then Doom. The progression here meant that games should only getter better and better, and when they didn't, part of my interest waned. This is a huge reason that Doom is still so popular in the modding community here. If Quake was every bit the revolutionary next step it needed to be, then we'd all be modding that game and not Doom.

Recently there was a thread titled "What is the most scary moment in Doom" or similar. For me that is one of Quake's strong points.
The Vore was more scary for me (on the first encounter) than any other monster from any FPS game.
The Doom series has some quite scary monsters (e.g. Spider Mastermind, Cherub) but they are no match for the Vore.

In general I prefer Doom 2. The monsters are more fun to fight and the levels are better designed & more varied.

For multiplayer I prefer Quake 1 or 3 (but not 2 or 4)

I find it hilarious how so many think Q1 is a very brown game. Doom II has got to be one of the brownest games I've ever played.

Cyanosis said:

I find it hilarious how so many think Q1 is a very brown game. Doom II has got to be one of the brownest games I've ever played.

Quake had very dark, brownish grainy colors. DOOM2 was more bright, and I see more gray and green than brown.

Quake also has a lot of blue textures, and animated purple sky, red lava, etc. The dark texture palette contrasts pretty well with the lighting and lava effects.

But, gameplay isn't even close to Doom... ;)

Side topic: which game is harder?

I just played through Quake 1 on "nightmare" and most of the time I was thinking "this is way easier than Doom on UV."
I'm not sure now though. Doom seems easier now that I've come back to it.