Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 5 [6]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:23. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

myk said:
It's about as hard as e4m2, or maybe a bit less once one has a route in mind. It's just bigger, so it might intimidate people initially.
If I survive the specters at the beginning of the hard part (when you enter the keep) then I die in the lava pit. Maybe I should spend more time on the map to learn it better. At least E4M2 gives you a bumload of plasma to work with.

Here's a run of Limbo I did yesterday as a case for the level not being that hard or tedious and to show that it is fun.

Last edited by Hellbent on 08-16-12 at 17:35

Old Post 08-16-12 16:27 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

sgt dopey said:
Mill from TNT

That map is the exact definition of something being overexaggerated.

Old Post 08-17-12 15:40 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hugoroy

I think I'm the only person who actually LIKES map08

I hate: MAP04, MAP09, E2M4 the most

Old Post 08-19-12 20:45 #
hugoroy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rkdoomguy
Warming Up

I also disliked Unruly Evil. It seemed quite pointless and a waste of time. There wasn't many interesting things in the map, and it was quite short.

Old Post 08-28-12 16:59 #
rkdoomguy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Z86

I mostly dislike the secret levels except E1M9 and E4M9 (so that's E2M9, E3M9, MAP31 and MAP32). They all seem pretty lazy work to me.

Old Post 09-04-12 15:38 #
Z86 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
xxbio Warfare11

Doom 1:command center, unholy cathidral.
Doom 2: factory, Monster condo.

Old Post 09-04-12 19:27 #
xxbio Warfare11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Snakes said:
Oddly enough, I find that E2M5 is one of the most memorable maps from that entire episode. It's one of the few maps that has a degree of height variation and more than one memorable location.
every location in e2m4 is memorable.

hugoroy said:
I think I'm the only person who actually LIKES map08

I hate: MAP04, MAP09, E2M4 the most

Hellbent said:
map08 I play a damn lot. Not sure why... I guess cause it's novel.

Last edited by Hellbent on 09-04-12 at 20:12

Old Post 09-04-12 20:02 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Hellbent said:
every location in e2m4 is memorable.
Oh, but what about that one place where...uh, where...whatsit...see, I can't describe it 'cause it's not memorable!

Old Post 09-05-12 07:11 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

The huge METAL1 nukage ring, The dwarfing COMPTILE passageways, the precarious narrow walkway, the evil red room, the vine-encrusted circular room with the spiral staircase center, the door-maze pipe room...

THE SCROLLING FACES

Old Post 09-05-12 08:18 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vorpal

While having a particular interest in maps and design, I do see the general goofiness in e3 layouts/visuals that people are knocking. However, on the first playthrough these oddball things (like terrible blue fire used for walls,"human" things like UAC doors in hell, etc.) - because of these oddities I had the impression that this wasn't just a faraway hellish place or something... this was a parallel universe of some sort with different physical laws, a truly alien and fearful place.

Like the dimensionless building facade at e1m1 starting area, had this feeling of dread walking into for the first time, because it makes no physical sense. But knowing what I know now about things-that-are-visually-pleasing it could be easy to say "oh that looks dumb/buggy", but then I remember the effect it had on my first playthrough.

It's obvious everyone has a different idea of Hell, e.g. Whispers of Satan is a very well designed level set, but my immersion is broken because everything looks so good. Hell *shouldn't* look like it had art directors and architecural engineers, haha - in my perception, Hell is ugly, nonsensical, unplanned, physics-ignoring, upside-down, lawless evil.

tl;dr episode 3's design kicks ass ;-)

Old Post 09-05-12 19:32 #
Vorpal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
schmerr

The Chasm. Just, seriously, fuck that map. It took me a half hour the last time i played that map to complete it. The only thing i DONT hate is the part with the overabundance of Chaingunners, i mow them down then smile, feeling like the baddest ass ever.

Old Post 09-18-12 08:10 #
schmerr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

The chaingunner is undoubtedly one of the most badass enemies in doom. If not, the most badass relative to hp.

Yesterday I watched a single chaingunner take down an arachnotron which had taken no prior damage.

Old Post 09-18-12 15:42 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Eris Falling said:
The chaingunner is undoubtedly one of the most badass enemies in doom. ...

Fully agreed - I remember being in awe when checking out DoomII for the first time and the Chaingunner boldly made it clear who's the most badass human trainwreck.

Old Post 09-18-12 19:17 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote