Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Can the current version of Z-DooM run Batman-DooM? (2.50)

Just asking if it has been fixed, as I tried to obtain the deh fix, but it seems nowadays everything has merged with Atomic Gamer, and it doesn't even auto-link you to the file that was redirected to the site.

Thanks for the help!

I just warped to Batman Doom MAP30 with ZDoom r3205, and weapon 7 still uses ammo, which basically renders the map unbeatable without cheating to keep yourself from running out. Try it yourself, but I doubt 2.5.0 (an older version) will be any different.

Eternity and PrBoom+ also seem to handle it as intended, if you don't want to cheat through the last map and/or play under Chocolate Doom.

Any lowdown on how the music works? I imagine it was probably in some sort of old format, it sounds more butchered (choppy and misaligned) in PrBooM + (although I love how it outputs the music, though), than the way it was intended.

Just asking if there is any sort of fix for it. Oh, and on a side note, how do you full-screen PrBooM+? Noobish question I know, I still don't know all the menu options and whatnot and I've been playing Z-DooM for three years.

You can easily toggle fullscreen mode in PrBoom+ through the in-game menu system (as you can with plenty of other things):

Options -> General -> Video -> Fullscreen Video Mode = Yes

I'm not sure, but I imagine the reason the music sounds different (and possibly nicer) in ZDoom is because ZDoom uses the fancy FMOD sound library for MIDI playback by default, which PrBoom doesn't. I don't know how Batman Doom's tracks were originally 'intended' to sound, though.

If you want to try different music players under PrBoom+, you should be able to do so via the menu as well:

Options -> General -> Sound & Music -> Preferred MIDI player

Assuming you have a recent version of PrBoom+, then aside from SDL, you should have options for FluidSynth, OPL2 emulation, and PortMIDI. I prefer Fluidsynth myself, but you might try switching them around to see if it makes the music more to your liking.

If you have no such option to change your MIDI player, then you probably need to update.

Mithran Denizen said:

You can easily toggle fullscreen mode in PrBoom+ through the in-game menu system (as you can with plenty of other things):

Options -> General -> Video -> Fullscreen Video Mode = Yes

I'm not sure, but I imagine the reason the music sounds different (and possibly nicer) in ZDoom is because ZDoom uses the fancy FMOD sound library for MIDI playback by default, which PrBoom doesn't. I don't know how Batman Doom's tracks were originally 'intended' to sound, though.

If you want to try different music players under PrBoom+, you should be able to do so via the menu as well:

Options -> General -> Sound & Music -> Preferred MIDI player

Assuming you have a recent version of PrBoom+, then aside from SDL, you should have options for FluidSynth, OPL2 emulation, and PortMIDI. I prefer Fluidsynth myself, but you might try switching them around to see if it makes the music more to your liking.

Ah, thank you for clearing up my questions. And yes, I love FluidSynth myself, it's just some tracks are all choppy and out of place. Dunno, life can go on.