Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

How do you like your Doom?

As for me, I like playing Doom in conjunction with ZDoom, nashgore.wad, and the PSX Doom music and sounds - doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. How about you?

For playing vanilla Doom I just use DOSBox now. (Though I do use Chocolate/render limits for playing multiplayer and testing maps out of convenience). Pr/GLBoom-plus with complevels is nice if I want to play the game in high res.

My favorite port is GZDoom, though. While there are plenty of things I dislike, most can be turned off and I think it's the best port in terms of "modern" features like decent control handling and sound.

I play multiplayer on Odamex at 1600x1200.

My favorite official version is the PSX port. Really cool engine; Doom64 was technically superior, but I prefer the original maps and resources. I wish Midway and id/Bethesda would get together and bring this out in high res on modern consoles, or at the very least get the original on the PS3/PSP.

prboom-plus 640x480 fullscreen resolution
Timidity++ and pk_doom_sfx.wad sound awesome with my speakers
Keyboard only controls

-alternatively-

Odamex 0.5.4 640x800 fullscreen resolution
Timidity++
Logitech F310 Gamepad controls

prboom+ 640x480 fullscreen, gamma 3, a few nicer filters, fully complevel'd to keep gameplay as intended.
glboom+ with the same resolution, but full filter and other prettification treatment for watching demos.
timidity with the SGM-V2.01 soundfont for greater midi experience, -nomusic for demo recording.

my DM specs are weirder... currently:
zdaemon 109b23, 1280x768 fullscreen, gamma 2.5 (translates to like >9000 in doom)
rocket trails and decals off, corpse limit 8, always sitrep console, always autoaim
always freelook when allowed, movebob 0.015 (weapon shaking just a little, i hate zero movebob)
i try to copy these specs in other DM ports, i won't touch ogl st unless i really need to

Eternity Engine windowed, gamma varying depending on the map and the time of day but usually around 0 or 1. Autoaim on, crosshair 1, freelook on. No infinitely-tall actors or other compat stuff unless the wad requires it. No addon graphic/gameplay mods. Standard Windows MIDI playback. Run in a Win7 virtual machine on my Mac via Parallels.

Skulltag @ 1280x720 with the BrutalDoom mod, mouselook and keyboard, crouch but no jumping.

Most of the time, I use Chocolate-Doom with OPL emulation and keyboard only controls. Alternatively, I use SkullTag, PrBoom, Zdoom and rarely other ports.

Dragonsbrethren said:

My favorite port is GZDoom, though. While there are plenty of things I dislike, most can be turned off and I think it's the best port in terms of "modern" features like decent control handling and sound.

this. it seems to me that zdoom / gzdoom has the most responsive mouse input among doom ports, it can play almost every map (very important imo), it has good graphics (although less eye candy than jdoom) and supports high res. now i'm using a 26" monitor at 1920x1200 and any lower res looks like ass on such a large surface. btw, i'm planning to replace it with a 30" 2560x1600 next year ;)

auzentech forte soundcard with eax, gzdoom has an option for this.

other mods i keep with almost any wad:
- nashgore for the extra squish
- sigvatr's palplus / contrast3 for colder colors because doom looked indeed more like that when i was playing on an 14" CRT many years ago
- perkristian's improved sounds and weapon animations
thanks for these 3, guys, i think they really improve the game.

options:
- autoaim off, a small crosshair on
- keyboard + mouse controls
- no translucency

yellowmadness54 said:

Medium rare, with a side of potatoes.

I think this is the single most witty thing yellowmadness has ever posted.

In all seriousness though, I like to play Doom II on Skulltag with hardware acceleration... but I'm not a feature nut, so I tend to turn many of the fancy graphical effects off.

Khorus said:

With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Sorry, no chianti, just Fava Beans.

For most vanilla DOOM levels, I play DOOM/DOOM2.EXE under DOSBox, with Novert loaded.

For vanilla DOOM levels that require IWAD merging or DEH patches, or cause savegame buffer overflows, I use Chocolate Doom.

For Boom levels or vanilla maps that go over vanilla limits, I use PrBoom+ (with -complevel 2 or -complevel 3 if applicable).

For maps that require ZDoom or GZDoom, I use ZDoom or GZDoom.

I use General MIDI (or SDL) for them all. The concept of autoloaded WADs is foreign and strange to me.

Typically, PrBoom+, 640x480 resolution with the gamma set to 0, fullscreen.

Of course, "intended sourceport" can replace PrBoom+ for ZDoom wads, EE wads, etc. etc.

Redeemer812 said:

I think this is the single most witty thing yellowmadness has ever posted.

Hey hey, look at that! Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Typically it'll be:

-ZDoom (unless it requires OpenGL, in which case GZDoom is cracked out)
-at 1440x900 (unless the framerate is so poor at this resolution that reducing it would help. Only really happened on my laptop once or twice)
-Mouselook on, always run, no autoaim
-No compatability options on
-I'll use crouching at my own discretion (although I try to avoid using it duck Revenant shots now, as it kind of is cheating...)
-I'll only jump if I'm playing a .WAD intended for a port with jumping. Admittadly these days it's much easier to not mess up on this front, as a lot of authors are including MAPINFOs that disable jumping and crouching if they don't intend for it to be used - even if their .WAD is for vanilla
-For some reason I've gone back to using the original HUD in the last couple of years, although I do have a crosshair and I use the modern map with kills, secrets found, time and total time displayed
-I don't use gameplay modifiers, weapon mods, monster replacements, gore mods or any of those other enhancement .WADs. Mostly this is personal preference, but it's also so I don't interfere with the intended effects of authors whose .WADs I'm playing

GZDoom, windowed at 1024x768, most of the settings default except for changing controls to wasd (I think by default it's old school arrow keys, if I'm not mistaken).

Also, ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, swiss cheese, and two pickle slices.

With chips, peas and gravy.

GZDoom, freelook, always run, crouch/jump only when required, PSX audio, 1080p (nowidescreen on) and absolutely NO ENHANCEMENT MODS WHATSOEVER, except when I'm really bored and load up Oblige and Shuffle ...

When I'm casually playing I tend to use ZDoom, with the respective compatibility flags depending on if it's vanilla or not.

To be honest, I'd use Chocolate Doom more if the mouse movement wasn't so ... slow. I really don't know the word for it. The only reason I use it is for testing my maps in vanilla :/

I've also tried GZDoom, and I'm not a huge fan of how it makes the game look. I much prefer the original doom style of lighting, having traditional fog just makes everything look washed out. Of course, if the source port requires it I'll use it (Same for almost any other source port, too).

Razen said:

To be honest, I'd use Chocolate Doom more if the mouse movement wasn't so ... slow. I really don't know the word for it.

If it's just a speed issue, you can always raise the sensitivity. Using chocolate-setup.exe (or by editing the config file), it can be set to much higher values than the in-game options screen will let you.

You might want to try playing around with the mouse acceleration settings, as well, to see if you prefer less or more.

I've tried following some of the configurations here (Came up when I was searching in Google) and even then it still feels pretty weird.

Slow probably wasn't the right word, it just doesn't feel right. It might be the frame limit that Chocolate Doom imposes, because I'm used to the higher speeds in ZDoom.

Yeah, that makes sense. Apparently a number of people aren't fond of Doom's 35 fps cap, especially after playing with the framerate uncapped in ZDoom or PrBoom+ for extended periods. I guess my eyes just aren't sensitive enough for me to care; most of the time, I can barely even notice the difference at all.

On topic, I currently have 19 source ports installed on my laptop, and 12 of them get fairly regular use. I don't really have any strong preferences for any of them over the others, and I rarely play with any sort of 'enhancement' wads.

Skulltag Fullscreen 800x600 Software
FMOD Sound System, HIGH Blood Brightness, High Mouse Sensitivity
Freelook, crosshair, no crouch, no jump
No FPS limit (600 vs 35)
Fraps on at most times.