Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Ultima Underworld has swinging doors.

Also, slopes, 3D floors, dynamic lighting, non-orthogonal walls and elevation, and was released before Wolfenstein 3D.

Carmack wasn't considered a coding genius because he made a 3D engine that had a lot of cool features; but because he made one that was very fast. The engine used in Ultima Underworld is admittedly a lot better than Doom's as far as its capabilities go; but it was very slow and forced the game designer to restrict the rendering area to a tiny window.

I wonder if anyone has ever ripped the Ultima Underworld resources from the game. I'd love to make a UU Doom TC.

Nomad said:

I wonder if anyone has ever ripped the Ultima Underworld resources from the game. I'd love to make a UU Doom TC.

Man, you have no idea how much I would love Ultima Underworld running off of the Doom engine. A UU Doom TC would be cool too.

I found out that rocket jumps are possible in vanilla. I found out that speedrunners can pass through walls. I just watched doom 2 speedrun on youtube. I would understood it if levels would be played separately, but they're all speedrunned in a row without a mistake! (sprinting through the chasm, ZOMG)

I've never before paid attention to the fact that items are crushed by crushers and doors.

Scypek2 said:

I've never before paid attention to the fact that items are crushed by crushers and doors.

Oh, that's one of the things I became aware of very quickly in Doom. You're desperately short of ammo, you manage to kill a couple of chaingunners and shotgum guys. Ah just the ticket! I'll have your ammo, guys. You race over to pick it up. But, dummy that you are, you killed them in a doorway and just before you get there, down comes the door and, to adapt the old Stopette slogan, Pouf! there goes ammo!

Scypek2 said:

Only items that are dropped by dying monsters. Items that were placed in the editor are immune to being crushed.

That's how you have all these goodies hidden in the big pillars in MAP32.

Gez said:

That's how you have all these goodies hidden in the big pillars in MAP32.

I always thought it was odd that those pillars weren't hollow.

Plasma rifle gibs zombiemen on several occasions.
Imps and Zombiemen make the same "hurt noises" every now and then.

And am I the only person who thinks imps look a little... stupid?

yellowmadness54 said:

And am I the only person who thinks imps look a little... stupid?

I've gotten used to them, but yeah, useless spikes coming out of everywhere... not exactly terrifying.

The cacodemon is pretty ridiculous looking as well.

schwerpunk said:

The cacodemon is pretty ridiculous looking as well.

Yeah. He looks way too smiley to be in Doom, a more serious game. All the other monsters including the Imp look more fitting and less happy.

Talking smack about the appearance of the monsters should be punishable by death.

Use3D said:

Talking smack about the appearance of the monsters should be punishable by death.

Bet if I was the cacodemon, I wouldn't be too happy after hearing I don't fit in.

Cacos get a pass in my book, because they really do look like something from another dimension (Hell, of course); a creature that doesn't play by the rules of biology as we know them.

Imps throw fireballs, which is pretty otherworldly, but other than that, they're just humanoids with spikes on, and a jaw that unhinges easily.

Although imps are one of my favourite creatures to place on maps, because they're not too difficult, don't take up a lot of room, and don't drop ammo (which makes balancing the player's ammo easier for me). I really do wish there was in-between step for going from imps to Revenants or Hell Knights, or whatever.

schwerpunk said:

Cacos get a pass in my book, because they really do look like something from another dimension (Hell, of course); a creature that doesn't play by the rules of biology as we know them.

Imps throw fireballs, which is pretty otherworldly, but other than that, they're just humanoids with spikes on, and a jaw that unhinges easily.

Although imps are one of my favorite creatures to place on maps, because they're not too difficult, don't take up a lot of room, and don't drop ammo (which makes balancing the player's ammo easier for me). I really do wish there was in-between step for going from imps to Revenants or Hell Knights, or whatever.

I believe it was supposed to be the demon/spectre family, but I think they were quite underpowered.

Being quick and only possessing a melee attack, I think ID should have given them a tad pinch of range to how far their bite can go.

Not necessarily when they attack, just how far it is allowed to go. Luckily, we can alleviate this issue with modern source ports like Zdoom and a simple little decorate file, effectively plugging the gap between imps and higher tier monsters.

Why should evil beings be unable to smile? Never seen an evil smile? Why so serious?!? — But besides smiling, it has to look evil too. Not everyone was able to tell apart the eye from the nose, I remember...

The 3D models for Risen3D recently got overhauled (by Abbs or Sitters or so...), and especially the Cacodemon, which looked like a raspberry before, now looks a lot more grumpy. And especially I like how they implode when dying.

LigH said:

The 3D models for Risen3D recently got overhauled (by Abbs or Sitters or so...), and especially the Cacodemon, which looked like a raspberry before, now looks a lot more grumpy. And especially I like how they implode when dying.

Yeah, I also love how they implode. After all, they have to have alot of space for the gases in their body to do their magic.

Probably not the right thread for it, but I don't want to start a new one for one question - is the Revenant's heatseeker a random chance or does it have a definite probability of happening? I just experienced the phenomenon of getting a Revenant fireball to orbit me so I was curious.

That video brings to my attention that the initial bullet puff sprites are on the rocket trail.

That's kinda weird, wouldn't it have made more sense to leave just the bullet puff smoke?

Encryptic said:

Probably not the right thread for it, but I don't want to start a new one for one question - is the Revenant's heatseeker a random chance or does it have a definite probability of happening? I just experienced the phenomenon of getting a Revenant fireball to orbit me so I was curious.

It is practically random, but technically it's a question of on which tic the projectile is spawned.

There's an explanation here. That's the ZDoom wiki, but that page can apply to vanilla Doom too (including the variants if you use dehacked to change state lengths).

Between strings you can edit with WhackEd, there's something like

you mumble to yourself...
You scare yourself...
You've lost it...

and more, but I don't remember now. What's that for?

Archy said:

Revenant rocket orbits

It was interesting to see that for "orbiting" to happen, the player doesn't stricly need to near the center of a circular orbit, but can also be near one of the two foci of an ellipse, at least an ellipse with an ε<1.0 (more squished from the x axis, but with the main axis still being x, not y).