Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Things about Doom you just found out
Pages (88): « First ... « 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:15. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Xane123

Gez said:
The baron of hell and hell knight have different animations from the 6-to-8 angles!

The baron's sprite lumps are BOSSA1, BOSSA2A8, BOSSA3A7, BOSSA4A6, BOSSA5, and so on for A, B, C and D. But the knight's sprite lumps are BOS2A1C1, BOS2A2C8, BOS2A3C7, BOS2A4C6, BOS2A5C5, BOS2A6C4, BOS2A7C3, BOS2A8C2, and likewise for the B and D frames. Only 16 sprites for the walk animation (instead of 20) this way, and it is more accurate too (since the A and B frames are exact mirrors of the C and D frames in the baron's case).

This is interesting. I'll have to go check this out. Wonder why the Baron didn't get its sprite frames updated too?
Also, I'll check those aliases out too! Now I can witness the true power of straferunning!

Old Post 08-18-12 21:40 #
Xane123 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

It's not a different amount of frames, it's a question of proper vs. mirrored animation:
http://i.imgur.com/zplFF.gif

It's easy to overlook in-game since it only affects one side of the baron anim.

Old Post 08-19-12 11:00 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheUltimateDoomer666

I just found out that the E1 MUSs are in the (registered) DOOM WAD twice. That explains why I was having trouble importing music into the WAD (easier just to use a sourceport like DoomsDay and use external music files).

Last edited by TheUltimateDoomer666 on 08-22-12 at 14:24

Old Post 08-22-12 14:15 #
TheUltimateDoomer666 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

The Nightmare! graphic has a little skull in the "dot" in the !

Old Post 08-22-12 20:13 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Jimi said:
The Nightmare! graphic has a little skull in the "dot" in the !
Well, I'll be - you're right http://i.imgur.com/WmQDX.png

EDIT: And on that note, I think I've found my new avatar for now.

Last edited by schwerpunk on 08-22-12 at 20:43

Old Post 08-22-12 20:25 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Must be pareidolia. To me it looks merely like a blood dripping dot.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:02 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Well, the ability to recognize faces from abstract drawings is inherently pareidolic. Anyway, you could be right, but I embiggened it, and it looks pretty -- intentionally -- skull-like to me.

http://i.imgur.com/KK5ev.png

Could be a coincidence, of course.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:16 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ComicMischief

It has the proportions of a skull. I don't think there's any kind of conspiracy at work, it's a skull.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:19 #
ComicMischief is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

Now just alone, it looks kinda like some medal thingy.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:21 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

I agree, it does look a lot like a medal ribbon.

Alternately, there's this version: http://i.imgur.com/b3ln8.png I'm even thinking of making them all different colours, to complete the medal look.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:25 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

printz said:
Must be pareidolia. To me it looks merely like a blood dripping dot.

No, it's definitely a skull. A pixel arty skull very much in the same vein as those used in textures and sprites everywhere else in Doom.

Old Post 08-22-12 21:30 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Optimus

Some things on maps I didn't noticed before.

E3M3: Animated water on the ceiling. Also never remember the grey hexagon wall texture was scrolling too.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...iling_water.jpg

E1M4: There is this thing ledge. At first I thought there could be a secret I don't know if you walk there and press on the walls. But it seems it's a shortcut to fall directly on the stairs without touching the lava. Wow!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...6128/ledge1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...6128/ledge2.jpg

Old Post 08-26-12 13:13 #
Optimus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Optimus said:

[ ... ]

E1M4: There is this thin ledge. At first I thought there could be a secret I don't know if you walk there and press on the walls. But it seems it's a shortcut to fall directly on the stairs without touching the lava. Wow!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...6128/ledge1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...6128/ledge2.jpg

That ledge was put in so that the nukeslad texture wouldn't repeat since the slime room is about 192 units high and the nukeslad texture is 128. After Romero put in that thin sector he got the idea to extend it around to the yellow key room. So what started out as a texture fix ended up evolving into a rather unconventional shortcut:
Spoiler:
you can actually "jump" from the stairs to the ledge if you angle your run just right.
I think this was the last major discovery I made about Doom. That, and the other floor crusher on E2M4.

Old Post 08-26-12 13:58 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cell

E3M3 has the "skully cages" room near the beginning directed to the right that has the animated water ceiling, too. For another thing, the Chaingun room which deals with nukage, sladwall and an overlooking window from the ascending wooden hallway does have lava as it's ceiling.
And that's not all: try to grab a slight sneak peak in E4M2 when you open the blue column up - what would you see?

For some more liquid facts: there are two instances in Ultimate Doom of liquids being "badly mixed", the one in E3M3 near the BFG and the Soulsphere, the other in the way of the exit of E3M6.

Old Post 08-26-12 18:35 #
Cell is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
killer2

ComicMischief said:
Even Archviles, though they take a while to kill with it, succumb due to a high pain chance.

Something seems wrong here...

Old Post 08-26-12 19:16 #
killer2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomguy 2000
Banned

Scripting and high resolution textures since both increases my possibilities for ideas.

Old Post 08-26-12 19:43 #
Doomguy 2000 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

Hellbent said:

So what started out as a texture fix ended up evolving into a rather unconventional shortcut

I never managed that route, but somehow successfully did the exit room jump, although I'm not even sure if it's a plain SR50 or SR50 + wallrun. And I only got it once. Well it's very hard to manage these tricks with just the keyboard...

Old Post 08-26-12 20:16 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

It's not wallrun. You can't wallrun in that direction.

Old Post 08-26-12 22:23 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

Okay, according to the wiki page, that jump is only 2 units less than the maximum an SR50 can possibly yield (194 units at optimal angle of approach). So I'm not surprised I only managed it once out of 50, 100 or more attempts (I didn't count, just stopped after I started getting too frustrated).

I always ended up bumping against the sidewall of the stairs, so that's why I thought it might have affected the jump.

Also, it was physically painful to press and hold all the required keys for so many jumps. I guess someone who does the SR50 all the time would have their keyboard mapping configured more optimally. Maybe some kind of "sticky keys" program might help too. And probably a mouse makes tricks like these easier, but it's not an option for me.

Old Post 08-26-12 23:26 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Hellbent said:
That ledge was put in so that the nukeslad texture wouldn't repeat since the slime room is about 192 units high and the nukeslad texture is 128.

This must be one of the first instances of using a contextual texture in such a way. :)

Old Post 08-26-12 23:44 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Necromancer-AMV

Hexen doesn't have telefragging.

...as I found out last night returning from the Guardian of Fire, and being spawned inside a Chaos Serpent. Of course I was playing on difficulty 5 so I was three-quarters dead before I figured out what the hell had happened.

Old Post 08-26-12 23:57 #
Necromancer-AMV is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Besli
Green Marine

The painting on texture RW16_4 (wad name), a.k.a. Panel5 in the hires retexturing projects, is part from a texture of ShadowCaster.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7421/panel5w.png

Last edited by Besli on 08-28-12 at 09:06

Old Post 08-28-12 08:40 #
Besli is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Shadowcaster.

Old Post 08-28-12 08:53 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Besli
Green Marine

printz said:
Shadowcaster.

Ah, thanks. And sorry for my mistake.

Old Post 08-28-12 09:06 #
Besli is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glenzinho
Forum Regular

Besli said:
Ah, thanks. And sorry for my mistake.

No need to apologise! Pretty obscure tidbit and well picked up anyway!

Old Post 08-28-12 09:09 #
glenzinho is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Besli
Green Marine

Ah, someone has noticed it before there:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-ge...ons-skinny-eye/

Last edited by Besli on 08-28-12 at 09:50

Old Post 08-28-12 09:41 #
LigH
Forum Regular

a) There must be ways to alter sectors even though they have neither a special nor a tag nor active linedefs. I wonder if Boom introduces features to raise/lower sectors per sector number or whatever... "eviltech" MAP19 has such doors (e.g. sectors 782, 795) which keep you from secrets but have no obvious relations to any trigger known in SLADE 2.

b) It happened very rarely, but already twice, that Lost Souls were crushed by doors or lifts while dying and left a Pool of Blood, but also a flame in Risen3D, so they kept burning after death. Certainly a port specific issue.

http://www.ligh.de/pics/DOOM/CrushedSoul1.jpg

http://www.ligh.de/pics/DOOM/CrushedSoul2.jpg

Old Post 08-31-12 12:35 #
LigH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cell

Besli said:
Ah, someone has noticed it before there:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-ge...ons-skinny-eye/

Speaking of that, have one ever made a variation of that eye being pierced/shot out as a decor texture? That would make itself into a perfect horror wad.

Old Post 08-31-12 14:13 #
Cell is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

I have a Doom 3-related epiphany.

It only just struck me that the pistol was clearly inspired by the gun Harrison Ford wielded in Blade Runner.

Old Post 09-03-12 08:56 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xane123

The Spider Mastermind's death sprite frames show Cyberdemon explosions just like barrels do! (his hoof can be seen, just like the barrel.)

One of the explosions in each frame (minus the first one and the last few) is the Cyberdemon explosion. Lazy id again...

Old Post 09-05-12 00:39 #
Xane123 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote