Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Things about Doom you just found out
Pages (91): « First ... « 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ASD

William Blazkowicz said:
-It takes 4 consecutive Shotgun blasts for DoomGuy to make his 'angry'(or whatever it's called) face.

2 actually but for a very brief moment.

Old Post 03-06-14 13:15 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

Frank Cifaldi just started posting these on Twitter: high-res model renders from Doom 64.

http://t.co/p66W1g3l62 - Mancubus
http://t.co/KFp2L0pE6c - Cyberdemon
http://t.co/4uCyjXStWS - Doomguy

Old Post 03-08-14 07:33 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Well, fuck me sideways.

Old Post 03-08-14 08:44 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Hot damn those are detailed for the time, I hope he posts the rest of the monsters.

Old Post 03-08-14 20:40 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Not my cup of coffee but cool to see their original work.

Old Post 03-08-14 21:14 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Neato. I wonder if he still has the original models and not just their renders? Would be cool if he did and chose to release them to the public, like how the producer of the XBLA Marathon 2 port offered up the prerender models to anyone willing to attempt to get them working in Aleph One.

Old Post 03-08-14 22:09 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Piper Maru

WildWeasel said:
Frank Cifaldi just started posting these on Twitter: high-res model renders from Doom 64.

http://t.co/p66W1g3l62 - Mancubus
http://t.co/KFp2L0pE6c - Cyberdemon
http://t.co/4uCyjXStWS - Doomguy

Love these! Thanks for sharing, I'm a big fan of Doom 64.

Old Post 03-08-14 23:32 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Revenant's face during his death animation blows up into bunch of pieces.

Old Post 03-09-14 01:01 #
j4rio is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mrthejoshmon

Sodaholic said:
like how the producer of the XBLA Marathon 2 port offered up the prerender models to anyone willing to attempt to get them working in Aleph One.
When you finally get them to work in game they look absolutely amazing (considering the contrast between the old models and the prerender ones).

Old Post 03-09-14 01:03 #
mrthejoshmon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

mrthejoshmon said:
When you finally get them to work in game they look absolutely amazing (considering the contrast between the old models and the prerender ones).
I guess I wasn't clear about that. Bungie already cleared the use of the assets in general to be used for the original game in mods. What I meant was the producer said that if anyone wanted to take another step in enhancing Marathon like put the actual models in the game rather than just sprites, he'd give the models themselves out. Nobody's tried yet, I'd give it a shot, but I'm lazy.

Old Post 03-09-14 03:26 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

I feel the punishment!

Old Post 03-09-14 03:46 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I have both Marathon 2 and 3 with Aleph One, I would be interested in trying out those models if they're already available.

Old Post 03-09-14 03:53 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mrthejoshmon

Sodaholic said:
I guess I wasn't clear about that. Bungie already cleared the use of the assets in general to be used for the original game in mods. What I meant was the producer said that if anyone wanted to take another step in enhancing Marathon like put the actual models in the game rather than just sprites, he'd give the models themselves out. Nobody's tried yet, I'd give it a shot, but I'm lazy.
Oh I see. Doesn't sound hard to do but with the hassle it was to get the sprites in, I can imagine how painful it would be to not only get the models in but also making them look the part and the reframing and the animations...

Kudos to those who tried or will try, it would be a pure nightmare.

Old Post 03-09-14 04:26 #
mrthejoshmon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

Sodaholic said:
Neato. I wonder if he still has the original models and not just their renders?

I would not imagine that he has the models; Frank Cifaldi was a member of the press back in the 90's, and I guess he's been searching through his closet of press kit discs.

Old Post 03-09-14 04:55 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

TIL that Doom 64's Nightmare Imps were not only planned for PS1 Doom, but screenshots exist of them.

Old Post 03-09-14 19:05 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Holy shit! Nice find!

Old Post 03-09-14 19:42 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Diamhea
Warming Up

Wow that is obscure, lots of cool finds like that in those old gaming magazines. Who remembers the FF7 beta that was being planned for the N64? Lots of screenshots exist; cool piece of history.

Old Post 03-09-14 21:37 #
Diamhea is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Diamhea
Warming Up

mrthejoshmon said:
It's either E2M4 or E2M5 that there is an entire section that uses almost only STONEGARG for the walls, I think it was called something like "Deimos Lab", I dunno it has been ages since I went through Ultimate Doom and I just noticed it on some guys playthrough of it.

It's Deimos Lab. I remember playing that level as a kid on SNES in like 1995, that imagery always stuck with me. That long corridor with the slime pit, STONEGARG on the walls, and that other weird hexagonal-looking texture. Great level, one of the best in E2.

Old Post 03-09-14 21:46 #
Diamhea is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Piper Maru

Shadow Hog said:
TIL that Doom 64's Nightmare Imps were not only planned for PS1 Doom, but screenshots exist of them.

Walloping Websnappers! That's just too cool. Maybe the guys who mad the PSX Doom tc can work them in somehow?

Old Post 03-09-14 21:52 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Diamhea
Warming Up

Doomkid92 said:

I thought Pantera's old logos were like happy jungle cats and typical 80's glam metal imagery and stuff, until they got Phil in / grew balls - is that right?

Yes, Pantera was a glam metal band not too far removed from Poison or Ratt. This was evident for their first three albums and (part) of their fourth. The band and especially the fans like to act like these albums don't exist, but they most certainly do. Dimebag was known as "Diamond" Darrell back then. He actually kept that alias through Vulgar Display of Power...

Old Post 03-09-14 21:54 #
_bruce_

Pantera got affected by the Slayer bug and changed direction. They took a pretty creative spin on the Slayer theme thanks to their guitarist's talent.

Old Post 03-10-14 12:12 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bloodfalls
Green Marine

mrthejoshmon said:

Pinkies in PSX Doom are also actual threats, apparently they have a hitscan attack.

Are you realy sure about that? I never heard that before.

Old Post 03-11-14 18:01 #
bloodfalls is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

bloodfalls said:
Are you realy sure about that? I never heard that before.
Pretty sure it's true - although it's an extremely limited-range hitscan attack. However, it does mean Pinkies can infight with one another:

Old Post 03-11-14 18:16 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
axdoom1

I preferred the Pinkies from Doom v1.2, when they had a hitscan attack. The melee range looks much more shorter than the short-range hitscan and it makes it easier to avoid their attacks.

Old Post 03-11-14 18:20 #
axdoom1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bloodfalls
Green Marine

Nice findings!
That explains something. I remember seeing demon-infighting two times in all the years of playing: once in a sharewaregame, and once in psx-doom.

Old Post 03-11-14 19:41 #
bloodfalls is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Pressing 'fire' = pressing 'use' at the tally screen (stops slow adding numbers up to the kill/item/secret % you achieved). I was always, always pressing spacebar ('use').

Old Post 03-17-14 19:30 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fernito

I just realized there's only imps and regular zombiemen on Doom2's MAP01.

Old Post 03-17-14 20:38 #
Fernito is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Cool vid, never experienced the pinkies mauling each other.

Old Post 03-17-14 20:40 #
scifista42
Forum Staple

Fernito said:
I just realized there's only imps and regular zombiemen on Doom2's MAP01.
How only could you unnotice! It's been copied by so many custom wads... :p

Old Post 03-17-14 21:18 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fernito

scifista42 said:
How only could you unnotice! It's been copied by so many custom wads... :p

Actually, it wasn't until I noticed that D2TWID's MAP01 had only imps and zombiemen that I realized original Doom 2 first map did too! Heh, funny :P

Old Post 03-17-14 21:25 #
Fernito is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote