Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wildweasel

Best hard-copy to buy?

I've had a copy of Doom 2 for quite a long while, but it has one major problem: I don't have a physical disc or any kind of storage media with it. I've basically just been "inheriting" the same IWAD file between computers every time I upgrade. At some point I would like to actually have a hard copy of the PC version of Doom. But what's generally the cheapest/easiest to find? Doom Collector's Edition is probably the most convenient since I wouldn't need to patch it, but it seems a bit expensive at nearly $30.

The only options I won't take are for downloadable copies - I already have one.

The best one would be the id Anthology ... though it's a bit expensive :P

Doom Collector's Edition shouldn't be too much money, especially if you find second-hand copies. It would also be perhaps the most convenient, since you can get the IWADs directly off the disc, they're not compressed in any form.

Not so far as I know, my copy's un-patched.

@WildWeasel - The Collector's Edition is your best bet if money's a bit tight, with used copies on eBay starting around $10 plus postage. The "Depths of Doom Trilogy" is another to look out for (preferably complete with manual if not the big box), stray copies of the Book of id also turn up occasionally and are usually much cheaper than the complete Anthology.

The cheapest is to just burn your own IWAD to a disc, along with your favorite ports, tools, and maps. You could even download or cobble together artwork for the sleeve or case, and possibly stencil in or draw a Doom logo on the disc itself (with Sharpie pen). All this is assuming your IWAD file is legit, or you just plain don't care.

Actually, this sounds like a nice side project for Freedoom. :)

Btw, check out what just showed up on idgames:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/newstuff/bookofid.txt
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/newstuff/bookofid.zip

I'm always seeing Doom2 and Doom and various bargain bins at game stores and the like.

Collector's Edition. I have a sealed copy of it locked away in my fireproof safe. Heh, just in case.

If you're considering burning a copy to CD or DVD, make sure to take precautions against humidity, air exposure, light, and physically touching the CD with your hands. Otherwise you risk having the layers in the CD oxidize, forming small holes which usually destroys data on the disc. With a good clean copy tucked safely away, you'll have a backup of Doom that will last you a decade or more.

This might sound a bit extreme, but I've vacuumed-sealed CDs before, and it protects them very well. :)

WildWeasel said:

Doom Collector's Edition is probably the most convenient since I wouldn't need to patch it, but it seems a bit expensive at nearly $30.

eBay. 10 bucks.

I'd seek out boxed copies of the originals myself. I have the Collector's Edition, and I suppose if you only want it to have a physical copy that's good enough, but I would much rather have the originals if I was a collector.

I'm wishing I had the sense when I was a kid to buy a few boxes while they were in the bargain bin. Ah, the bargain bin. Those were great times.

EDIT: Never mind, eBay has new sealed boxes for around ten bucks.