Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Have you ever run Doom below system requirements?

Cell said:

Yes, I did.

This only proves that some shitty USB driver fux0r3d j00r b0x, dawg. I gotta plenty of those myself.

If I remember correctly, my first computer was a 386SX 20mhz with 4mb ram, no sound card.
Doom shareware ran was a very slow slideshow at fullscreen with high detail. I had to run it low detail and the smallest screen size to get any decent speed. I did get a Sound Galaxy 2 soundcard eventually.

Good times.

Yep, I got the shareware off a UK PC magazine in 1994-95(?) and tried installing it on a 286 at my mother's workplace. It failed. Disk 2 featured an early version of Cakewalk; seeds were planted...

I had a 25mhz 486SX with 4mb of ram when Doom came out and I could never get it to run until I upgraded to 8mb of ram. I don't remember what the issue was.

qoncept said:

I had a 25mhz 486SX with 4mb of ram when Doom came out and I could never get it to run until I upgraded to 8mb of ram. I don't remember what the issue was.

Try removing himem.sys from your config.sys file. That will free up a lot of memory.

What do you mean this is not relevant anymore??

I was one of the Amiga freaks who bought a PC exclusively to play Doom, and I made sure to get the most expensive piece of hardware I could afford at the time.

Another thing I remember is having read about the Pentium processor barely days after my flashy, super-high end 486 arrived. I was pissed to hell and back, but thankfully my Doom experience with this machine was more than pleasant, specially when compared to the absolute HELL it was to get anything but a slideshow going on those worthless 386 clunkers from my workplace, so I didn't quite feel I was missing anything.

Then there was Doom95. You couldn't really run it smoothly at 640x480 with less than 4mb of video ram, and I also recall this being law for other games from the era.

I have played Doom and Doom 2 on a Chromebook. I swear, the max framerate is roughly 9 fps.

18 minutes ago, _42_ said:

I have played Doom and Doom 2 on a Chromebook. I swear, the max framerate is roughly 9 fps.

Wow. This thread was opened over 6 years ago and hasn't been touched in over 70 months. I'm impressed that you dug so far back to find a thread to chime in about.

On a serious note, why would any computer made in the 21st century have trouble running either Doom? I must be missing something because I wouldn't expect that.

3 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

On a serious note, why would any computer made in the 21st century have trouble running either Doom? I must be missing something because I wouldn't expect that.

Chromebooks were a good invention, but their processing speed isn't all that great. But, I deal with it.

Also, I just realized that this thread is in fact 6 years old.