Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Who was the first person here to play doom?

It was not me. I played Doom 2 before Doom (at least, that's how I recall it). As a matter of fact, I remember being disappointed with the lack of the SSG in the shareware when I played it for the first time... Being 7 can make people stupid like that.

yellowmadness54 said:

Woah, magazines came with shareware disks?

Why, you never saw their modern equivalents -bundled CDs and DVDs?

40oz said:

I was three.

So you didn't play the shareware so much as sit on someone's lap, bashing a few keys before getting bored? Doesn't count man.

yellowmadness54 said:

Thats really cool. I never thought a publishing company would do that.

That was one of the main reasons to buy magazines back then. The contents of the mag could be interesting enough but whatever was on the disk was the stuff that you could actually install and use on your machine. I used to spend ages in the shops checking the contents of the cover disk to decide whether I was going to buy the magazine or not. Often, I wouldn't even read the mag.

Hang on, I was in a store just the other week and there were still a few that had CDs on the cover. So, some mags still do it. However, the real "heyday" was in the days before most people had any kind of on line access. I suppose the Internet really killed it. Why bother waiting for a month for the next issue of the magazine cover disk when you can download the same program any time you like without even leaving your chair?

One of the best things I ever got from a cover disk was a full copy of "Companions of Xanth" which had been mistakenly included on a cover CD by accident instead of the demo. :)

I tried to find posters in some Rollingstones magazines, and couldn't find those. Imagine my face opening up a magazine to see DOOM and its shiny splendor staring at me.

I once had the Doom poster, the one with the killer boxart, and haven't been able to find it in years. I've searched this damn house up and down. I wonder what ever happened to it?