Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Played DOOM64 again

I got my N64 working again after moving, and a friend lent me his controller (my joy-stick was broken) I was going to post a thread about it but forgot (first game played was DK64)

But just a few minutes ago I played DOOM64 again through about 5 levels (skipping around different levels)
I forgot how much I loved the atmosphere of the hell levels IE Eye of the Storm, having moving sky and lightning. The water textures I liked, aswell. The controls took MASSIVE getting use to, though. But the over all feel was great. The game got boring a bit fast though.

I've only played EX but my experience is very similar to yours, the atmosphere is great (especially the ambient music) but I get bored after blasting through 2-3 levels. Playing on 'I own Doom' must be so hard on N64..

I find most of the maps get progressively better. The EX port is really the way to play it. The N64 controls can be frustrating.

I think I'll run through Doom 64 again, but I can't get the latest version of EX to run.

Technician said:

I find most of the maps get progressively better. The EX port is really the way to play it. The N64 controls can be frustrating.

That's encouraging, I'm up to map 11 or 12 at the moment. I'd assume PC is definitely the way to go, I'd hate to play Doom without precise controls.

Yeah, the hell maps get pretty good. I'm the type of person who can only play one or two maps at a time before I quit and come back to it in an hour.

Technician said:

I think I'll run through Doom 64 again, but I can't get the latest version of EX to run.

Can you explain the issue? Is it crashing on startup? etc...

I_XInputInit: Initializing XInput API
Z_Init: Init Zone Memory Allocator
CON_Init: Init Game Console
M_LoadDefaults: Loading Game Configuration
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.

********* ERROR *********
SC_Open: ANIMDEFS not found

Newer versions of D64Ex require DOOM64.WAD to be built differently -- you'll most likely need to run WadGen on a D64 ROM again.

Xaser said:

Newer versions of D64Ex require DOOM64.WAD to be built differently -- you'll most likely need to run WadGen on a D64 ROM again.

It's worth a try, Duke.

EDIT: That dun fixed it.

I have to reiterate that the community seemed to regard Doom 64 mostly negatively in the late 90s. It's great to see so much support for it. I easily had the most fun on that version as far as console ports go.

GoatLord said:

I have to reiterate that the community seemed to regard Doom 64 mostly negatively in the late 90s.

Well of course. Rare exceptions notwithstanding, it's cool and hip to dislike something that's new, but 10+ years later it's perfectly socially acceptable to like it again because there's even newer stuff out by that time.

GoatLord said:

I have to reiterate that the community seemed to regard Doom 64 mostly negatively in the late 90s. ...

Understandable - somewhat like a bastard offspring.
I think it's an interesting interpretation of the original theme.

I see Doom 64 as being Doom with a Quake 1 influence. It's canonical nature to the rest of the series can be interpreted in a couple of ways; a loose sequel to Doom II serving as the real Doom 3, or a reinterpretation of Doom as a whole. Nevertheless it's a cool game and I like it, I understand not everyone cares for it's art style but far as horror themes goes, it's much more scary and darker than Doom 3.

To vertigo, I don't think it would work given the vastly different art style in the texture work. Personally, if the D64 levels were redesigned using PC Doom stuff, I think they'd be OK levels at best, if not the most advanced in features. Everything D64 does compliments the map design highly. The music wouldn't match the original atmosphere of Classic Doom either.

Technician said:

I_XInputInit: Initializing XInput API
Z_Init: Init Zone Memory Allocator
CON_Init: Init Game Console
M_LoadDefaults: Loading Game Configuration
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.

********* ERROR *********
SC_Open: ANIMDEFS not found

Have you rebuilt the iwad again?

Edit: Nevermind.... you already have.

Indeed. Someone mentioned a "Plutonia 64" in another thread, which is a thing I'd like to see.

Too bad about the missing monsters though, I'd say their D64 style versions would have been awesome.

also why no multiplayer why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

xvertigox said:

I'd love to see a Doom 64 mod with the sprites redone in the original ID style.

Why? The different artwork is a major incentive to play this interpretation of the Doom universe.

Marcaek said:

also why no multiplayer why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Same reason for the absence of certain monsters; lack of time/memory.

Technician said:

Why? The different artwork is a major incentive to play this interpretation of the Doom universe.

I do really like the Doom 64 art style but I'd also like to see ID styled sprites done for it too. Doom 1/2 sprites seem crisper to me than Doom 64 sprites so I'd like to see Doom 1/2 but much darker and grimmer a la Doom 64. Maybe that's a better way to describe, Doom 1/2 done darker and more gritty.

xvertigox said:

I do really like the Doom 64 art style but I'd also like to see ID styled sprites done for it to. Doom 1/2 sprites seem crisper to me than Doom 64 sprites so I'd like to see Doom 1/2 but much darker and grimmer a la Doom 64. Maybe that's a better way to describe, Doom 1/2 done darker and more gritty.

I see what you're saying, but its hard to picture.

I read that multiplayer was implemented but taken out because Midway--who used surprisingly bad judgement on this one--felt that it would take away from the experience to have a split-screen. Little did they know that shortly after Doom 64's release, numerous games, including shooters like Goldeneye, Turok 2, Perfect Dark, and both Quakes, worked fine with split-screen.