Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASD

Strange habits

Phobus said:

I seem to compulsively check the automap sometimes. It's quite annoying, as I can find myself in the middle of an intense "dance-of-death" style firefight and after an enemy falls I may randomly open up the map just to see what direction I want to advance in next... even if there's still enemies there in close combat... and even if I know full well where I'm going. No idea what gets me doing it, but once I've started it takes a conscious effort to stop.

I used to have a problem with this as well at some point. Nowadays I play so that I try not to use automap AT ALL, except when I'm hopelessly lost, having searched for the correct route for a while. It does waste time sometimes to be honest, not to mention I miss a lot of secrets behind opening walls that are easy to spot on automap but sometimes have no clue on the texturing etc. in normal gameplay.

DuckReconMajor said:

make Doomguy spin around like an idiot.

Doomguy started doing that of his own accord after I switched from mechanical to optical mice.

I tend to use the Pistol more than any weapon if their is Pistol ammo; instead of using a SSG on a HellKnight, I'll use a Pistol until I absolutely have to switch weapons.

Discovered today (when playing Jenesis) that when I'm using the shotgun to "snipe" distant enemies (because I've got a lot of ammo for it and the situation is pretty safe) that I actually tend to put the corss hair slightly to the left or right of the enemy I'm aiming at.

Not to lead the shots either, but because I'm oddly convinced that the shotguns spread rarely ever hits dead centre :\

ASD said:

-I use to take a short step back when I open a door and then rush in.

Heh, I do this too a lot, or I used too for a while.

I have a strange habit of jumping off platforms that are beginning to rise. This is actually a bad thing because it seems more often than not, the platform I jumped off of is necessary to beat the level and won't lower again.

When I'm placing things to the levels, I always place them with a specific well thought direction.. of course that is not so strange anymore as I'm usually using 3D models. But I would do it even if there weren't 3D models, and I think I did do that before there were any.

When I load up wads with nash's gore mod I always try my hardest to gib former humans/imps when I get the chance to pick up either an rl or bfg.

One of my more annoying habits is that, playing with the keyboard (which I almost always do), I hold down the shift button the whole time I'm playing...as in, I'm physically incapable of playing Doom properly without one finger fixed on the shift key. I guess it's fine in the sense that vanilla and many source ports don't have an always-run button, but given that I generally play in Boom or ZDoom I figure I should learn to play without having to do that the whole time.

I also do the thing where I step back when opening a door. I think it's a good practice, in case somebody put a revenant or something right on the other side.

I use the shotguns for nearly everything, switching to other weapons only when I run out of shells or am fighting a horde that only a rocket launcher or plasma rifle will keep back.

I rarely use the BFG, and I never include BFGs in the maps I build. Ever.

When running down long corridors or across large fields, I zigzag around for no obvious reason.

Phobus said:

Discovered today (when playing Jenesis) that when I'm using the shotgun to "snipe" distant enemies (because I've got a lot of ammo for it and the situation is pretty safe) that I actually tend to put the corss hair slightly to the left or right of the enemy I'm aiming at.

Not to lead the shots either, but because I'm oddly convinced that the shotguns spread rarely ever hits dead centre :\

Same, but I'm pretty sure it aims to the right a bit. Playing in complevel 2 long enough, I'll have a noticeable 'slice' when shooting at imps and chaingunners.

Bashe said:

I have a strange habit of jumping off platforms that are beginning to rise. This is actually a bad thing because it seems more often than not, the platform I jumped off of is necessary to beat the level and won't lower again.

Same here, I hate to think how many times I've trapped myself on the wrong side of a lift.

I also press shift almost constantly to run, even if the ports I use have autorun possibility. Well, infact I tried autorun, but then I noticed I was still pressing shift to move faster, but instead it made me move slower, so I didn't like it.

I think I also do it in Doom3, I'm always pressing the run button and exhausting my character's stamina. Then suddenly I'm feeling:"hey, what, why is the character moving so slow now.. I'm pressing run!"

But when I'm playing QuakeLive, shift makes me walk, and I don't try to constantly press shift to move faster, because I'm pressing the strafe keys and jump key to move faster.

Running is so much easier in Doom, as I don't need to tap three different keys to run!

I think that platform not lowering again thing is bad map design. It's always better to design map for more than one player playing it...

Sometimes when I'm playing a map that's got a bunch of revenants and little health, dodging all the homing missiles often has me pressing on the WASD keys extra hard (as if it makes me faster) and in more ridiculous scenarios, physically dipping my head away from the oncoming missile.

40oz said:

Sometimes when I'm playing a map that's got a bunch of revenants and little health, dodging all the homing missiles often has me pressing on the WASD keys extra hard (as if it makes me faster) and in more ridiculous scenarios, physically dipping my head away from the oncoming missile.

Sometimes I push my keys harder when I'm speedrunning, as if the keys are throttles and it's possible to wrench more speed out of the Doomguy with more force on the controls. This is usually a sign I'm losing my focus, however.

ArmouredBlood said:

I've also taken to shaking the mouse to express frustration in an fda. Probably just makes it worse to watch heheh.

I've done this. The few times I've recorded an FDA I felt like I was "performing," and it's just good form to emote expressively when you're up on a stage. I also sometimes shake my mouse when I'm startled by a monster, but that's purely involuntary.

I occassionally push my face towards the monitor when I'm doing melee attacks as if it would make the player character get in better melee range and/or do more damage. Sometimes I swing my mouse around the mouse pad, so that the player character would do a better swing with his melee weapon. Though I guess it makes some sense that in Doom melee attacks usually hit better if they hit the corners of the target than it's center.

I might also do vertical movement with the mouse so that I would first hit the head with the chainsaw and then move the mouse down towards the groin to saw the monster into two halves. Maybe more that in Doom3.

Sometimes I punch the floor and then jump when the punch hits the floor, but this more in multiplayer games where others can see me do that.

And when I wait for some stuff to respawn, I usually punch the respawn location or crouch and jump on it. Though ("usually") it doesn't respawn any faster.

When doing Invasion on skulltag, I go into mega-competetive mode and do my best to get more kills than anyone else, rushing into hordes with plasma guns and what not. I just dont want people tp think I'm a noob.

I also do this on WaW nazi zombie mode.

I tend to feel enormous guilt for using cheats, so if I can't complete a map without cheating, I just forget about it. Recently I was using Brutal Doom on a map where you transport in the spatial extent of a Spider Mastermind. Normally this would be fine but in Brutal Doom the explosion the Spider causes will kill you instantly, meaning you MUST cheat in order for it to work. I felt strangely guilty for using the IDDQD cheat for three seconds, and felt I could justify it by saying, "Well, my health was somewhat close to 100%, so I guess that's okay."

Occasionally while playing, my Doomguy person gets an itchy back, and I have to scratch it by rubbing it against a wall.
I'm not kidding. I really and truly feel his 'itch'.

Has anyone else got that, or am I really weird?

stewboy said:

Occasionally while playing, my Doomguy person gets an itchy back, and I have to scratch it by rubbing it against a wall.

Have you reported that bug?

stewboy said:

Sounds like his kidneys have been harvested, are there recent-looking surgical scars under the ribcage?

40oz said:

Yes, I am constantly moving and swinging my head when fighting revenants. Its starting to freak out my brothers.

stewboy said:

I had something like that too, but now I don't :P.
The difference is that also when the Doomguy's cheeks or a hair area starts to itch, then I would glide along a wall sideways to scratch it. That often got me into fireballs.

I no longer have this problem because it stopped doing it :P.

When I get the shotgun and the super one. After I kill monsters in front of me, I switch to the normal gun and shoot to make the shell ammo "even" and switch back to the super one. Yeah really I do that. :P

i occasionally pull my head away from the monsters attacks physically, as if it makes me magically dodge their attacks better. i also duck physically when i duck in the game, raise my head when i jump, and forces my head through tough spots in the game.

i also occasionally jitter from excitement when playing the game and an awesome moment just occurred.

though this i do with most other games i play, but Doom's the only game i've played for months time now.

C30N9 said:

When I get the shotgun and the super one. After I kill monsters in front of me, I switch to the normal gun and shoot to make the shell ammo "even" and switch back to the super one. Yeah really I do that. :P

Oh yeah, I do that too. If I have the chaingun, I'll switch to the pistol and shoot once if the ammo count isn't even.

Khorus said:

Oh yeah, I do that too. If I have the chaingun, I'll switch to the pistol and shoot once if the ammo count isn't even.

O_O Even weirder. :P

I'm suddenly reminded of how my sister used to waste ammunition in Wolfenstein 3D just so she could collect every last clip. Don't think she ever did it in Doom, though.