Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

absolute most favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

I tried playing them several times but couldn't really feel any compulsion to finish. To me, they are basically like another Doom II megawad, but not as good as some others like Icarus: Alien Vanguard, Memento Mori II, Alien Vendetta.

hex11 said:

I tried playing them several times but couldn't really feel any compulsion to finish. To me, they are basically like another Doom II megawad, but not as good as some others like Icarus: Alien Vanguard, Memento Mori II, Alien Vendetta.

this

I also find final doom pretty horrible, plutonia is ok but that other one is junk

Human BBQ IS awesome, and the fixed music track is pretty good. I have new appreciation for the Dead Zone as well but I still say the secret exit is retarded.

I find Doom II's MAP29 a masterpiece in both architecture and challenge (for its time). I also enjoy MAP13 and MAP15, I like City-styled maps a lot. And about Ultimate Doom, I find all E1 awesome.

My favorite map of all Iwads, though, is Plutonia MAP29. That map is amazing.

Plutonia map 11, seriously, I have 8 COMPET-N entries on that map... I just love Arch-Viles

Some others I love are:
E2M2 - Great map for Tyson.
E2M3 - I don't know why everybody hates this map, I love it.
E2M6 - Another great Tyson map.
E3M7 - I really love the level design.
U4M1 - A very unforgiving map, a great challenge.
U4M2 - The map ID made the quickest yet better than most maps they ever made.
U4M6 - I don't know what's harder, U4M1, U4M2, or this...
U4M7 - It's short an easy but very fun.
U4M8 - This just may be my favorite for Ultimate Doom... it's also great for Deathmach.

LV02 - Short, easy but action packed.
LV04 - Same.
LV07 - how could you not like this?
LV13 - I don't like this map anymore but it was my favorite when I first got into DOOM.
LV16 - Great level, lots of things to shoot, first map I recorded a demo on.
LV21 - For what ever reason, I keep on coming back to this level...
LV25 - I just like the design a lot for some reason.
LV26 - The Cacos and Chaingunners are placed perfectly on this map.
LV28 - The musics great and the level is just really cool.
LV29 - Very confusing, maybe to confusing at first but it's extremely grown on me over the years.

I also like to mention two pwad levels just because they're so good, map 5 of Alien Vendetta and map 6 of Hell Reveled. You should defiantly check them out.

I do like E2M2. The front page of the Chocolate Doom wiki has always had a screenshot from E2M2 in some form or other. Who doesn't love a good crate maze?

Other than that:

all of E1, but especially E1M4, and I have a new-found appreciation of E1M1 after dissecting its design.
E2M8 because it's the greatest boss fight of all the Doom games.
I'm not a big fan of Doom 2's levels, but MAP07 and MAP08 are at least kind of fun.
TNT MAP04 (wormhole) and MAP31 (pharoah) for being interesting concepts.

Tricks and traps (MAP08). Lots of fighting, big hordes to smash with BFG, and I find the design fun.

ALso Refueling base (MAP10) because of the amount of enemies & Cyberdemon

Tango said:

Are there maps in doom or doom 2 you just can't stand to skip?

Just maps that turn you on entirely, if you know what I mean?

MAP02. If I'm playing a map that replaces MAP01, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'm going to end up playing through at least MAP02. Not sure what it is about the map, but it's my favorite in Doom 2, as simple as it is. I'll occasionally get sucked into everything up to MAP06, but nothing compares to MAP02.

I think my absolute favorite map is E1M7. E1M3 comes close. I might end up playing all of E1 if I had a single map wad loaded, but I usually skip the secret exit, I'm not a fan of E1M9.

I've warmed up to much of Episode 4 in Ultimate Doom. There are just several areas where there are numerous monsters clustered together and a BFG shot or two will clean up the entire room. You can see this all over the place in E4M3, parts of E4M4 (although Rockets would be better suited here, as the clusters aren't that large), and the center room of E4M8. Cleaning up these areas with a few BFG blasts is just flat out fun and enjoyable. :D

I'm a big fan of episode 2 as well. It's my favorite episode of the four. I really can't explain why, though.

Every map done by John Romero. There aren't exceptions and I used to love them even before I knew that they were made by him.

Although E1 is my favorite episode, I think E2M7 is the best level in UDoom.I really like how it combines elements from all episodes and the circular shape of the level.It also looks very nice, especially the blue row corridor.The secrets are cool too

DooM_RO said:

Although E1 is my favorite episode, I think E2M7 is the best level in UDoom.I really like how it combines elements from all episodes and the circular shape of the level.It also looks very nice, especially the blue row corridor.The secrets are cool too

Circular?

I really don't care much for E2 at all, E3 is ok, E1 is really good and I love E4. Somewhere around the middle is Doom 2. In particular, I really love Tricks and Traps and Circle of Death. Dead Simple is always fun for a couple minutes.

He probably meant that you can reach the end of the level from both layouts that are in front of you at the beginning. It's true that its unlinearity is a great thing.

But I think this level is a bit too flat.

MAP29 in Doom 2. Back when I was a wee kid, my father almost got the lame time for that map :P

Doom Marine said:

Doom 2 MAP11. Not only was the map well-designed, the first-time encounter with the arch-vile was terrifying.

Totally agree, it was horrifying and action packed.

My favorite Doom 1 map is definitely E2M5. I love everything about that map: the architecture, the scale, the secrets, the dreary atmosphere, the mix of tech base and hellish themes, everything. It sums up everything I like about Episode 2.

As for Doom 2, my favorite map has got to be MAP15. The scale, height variations, jumping puzzles, secrets, large-scale battles, and use of D_RUNNIN make it my favorite city-themed level in a game, ever. It's also a blast in co-op to boot.

K!r4 said:

He probably meant that you can reach the end of the level from both layouts that are in front of you at the beginning. It's true that its unlinearity is a great thing.

But I think this level is a bit too flat.

It would seem like it's a nice nonlinear setup, but actually if you try the path on the right side first, you'll just travel a long distance and find locked doors and dead-ends. Then you have to backtrack all the way across the map to the left path to find the blue key so you can make any real progress.

Ah yes, I forgot about map 01 from TNT and especially map 09.Badass music, tons and tons of action and it's absolutely fantastic with Brutal Doom.

esselfortium said:

It would seem like it's a nice nonlinear setup, but actually if you try the path on the right side first, you'll just travel a long distance and find locked doors and dead-ends. Then you have to backtrack all the way across the map to the left path to find the blue key so you can make any real progress.

Now that you say it... Well, this map isn't that great to me finally.

Doom:

E4M3: It's Sever The Rocket! Lots of rockets fun in this map!!!
E4M8: Unto the Cruel Spiderdemon. But actually there's so much cells for plasma spams!!!
E2M6: Probably because I like the music and design, I don't mind the dark maze much.
E2M2: Great map for Tyson lol, despite the crate maze.
E1M3: Many different routes can be choose in a Toxin Refinery.

Doom 2:

Map25: Dark but small, straight-forward, also excess cells for plasma spams!
Map23: Barrels o' Fun!!! The name explains it all!!!
Map20: I always like to watch a competition between bosses!
Map10: A nice map for good challeging since it's one of the hardest map in Doom 2, but there's so much different routes to choose!
Map07: Probably I think Dead Simple maps are easy and fun enough.

TNT:

Map27: Hardest map in TNT, but killing imps is fun using SSG inside a base of Mountain Pain.
Map20: Huge map, but I like the music a lot. Actually maps with the same music I will max on.
Map19: I don't care it's Shipping or Respawning! I only do care about the nice design and monsters placement, especially that truck.
Map18: Hmmmmm..........I like the music and design probably.
Map13: Nukage Processing lol. I can finally meet the cyber-friend again! The music do rocks too which I think it's one of the best music in Doom.

Plutonia Experiment:

Map28: Nice sewers map with E2M2 music back again!
Map22: I always think that it's important to prove that this mission is actually possible!!!
Map21: Rockets fun again!!!
Map06: Same again, rockets and plasma spam, straight-forward!

maps I play the most:

Doom 1 (all episodes, but I play e4 a little less and probably e2 the most by a slight margin.

e4m2, e4m5.

e4m6: maybe if this was the penultimate or last map in the episode I'd play it. But it's too frustrating and difficult to be in a "normal" slot in the episode. E4M7 and E4M8 are much easier.

Doom 2: most frequently: map08, map10, map11, map13, map15 (definitely one of my faves, for reasons already mentioned), map23 (but I don't really like it, so not sure why I play it so much? The design and atmosphere do not appeal, but the gameplay is fun I guess) and map28
Doom 2, not quite as frequently as I used to: map06, map09, map14, map16, map17, map18, map19, map20, map24, map26, map29 (is a good challenge, but the nondescript darkness is a bit bleh to me, tho).

Map27 is a cool map; it is strange and weird--and is almost an anomaly in the doom 2 universe. Mundane name kills any desire I have to play the map, tho (Monster Condo? really? wow, I sooo feel like I'm playing a far out adventure game that isn't near the end becoming tongue in cheek because it's bored with itself!).

Map25 might be the weakest in the game.

Hmm. There are a lot of good maps. I'll start with Udoom:

E1M1: Don't think i need to say why.
E1M3: The secrets
E1M6: I like big maps
E1M8: The music

E2M2: Just all around a great map. The crusher section is cool.
E2M4: Creepy map with very oozy design.
E2M6: The Fake exit, it's almost like 2 maps in one.

E3M2: The obvious reason
E3M4: The puzzles
E3M7: Just a crazy level with not many monsters but enough tense situations to send someone to therapy.
E3M9: Just wow.

E4M2: The challenge
E4M5: Just a really interesting design
E4M6: It's a mountain castle with lava, what's not to like?

Doom2:

Map 06: Another really neat level that I can't quite put my finger on the reason I like it.
Map 08: Evil Traps are awesome.
Map 16: The layout
Map 18: Dunno, just cool.
Map 20: The Duel room
Map 23: Barrels
Map 28: The best Hellish map ID ever made.
Map 29: Fucking great map, that's all I can say.

E: Forgot TNT and Plutonia

TNT

Map 04: Kinda Surreal
Map 11: I like the box jumping
Map 18: Just a cool map
Maps 27-29: Just awesome Hell maps.

Plutonia:

The whole wad is amazing.

E3M5, E1M2, E1M9, E2M9 of Ultimate Doom.

MAP07, MAP13, MAP17, MAP25, MAP31/32, and MAP30 of Doom2

K!r4 said:

Every map done by John Romero. There aren't exceptions and I used to love them even before I knew that they were made by him.

Yeah, it would be safe to say that Romero made the best IWAD maps of Doom. Didn't he make MAP29 of Doom2? I keep thinking it was Peterson >.>