Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > UDoom intermission screens
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:41. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Marcaek

Was the process Id used to create the E1-3 intermission pictures ever described?

Old Post 01-02-12 21:24 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

probably old-fashioned pixel art with some digital pics scanned in and edited.

Old Post 01-02-12 22:43 #
Csonicgo is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

http://images.wikia.com/doom/images/a/a1/Imscrngo.png

Hell's intermission screen is obviously a hodgepodge of different graphics, combined and touched up.

Old Post 01-02-12 22:57 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Heh at the cacodemon burial ground, I'd forgotten about that.

Old Post 01-02-12 23:23 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Heh, for some reason the Inferno intermission screen reminds me of a mix between a Warcraft map and a Mortal Kombat backdrop.

Old Post 01-02-12 23:40 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Has anyone made a map on the top of those barren mountains yet? Complete with coordinates (arrows, splat) on the map. Yeah, I know that some console ports place Mt. Erebus there, but I'm not talking about that.

Old Post 01-03-12 00:15 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

God, the E3 screen scared the tar outta me as a kid.

Old Post 01-03-12 00:26 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

A better question: has anyone made a map based on the small representations of maps on that screen?

Old Post 01-03-12 01:01 #
Csonicgo is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

I dunno, but I've been planning to do that, but I haven't started.

Old Post 01-03-12 01:07 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Technician said:
http://images.wikia.com/doom/images/a/a1/Imscrngo.png

Hell's intermission screen is obviously a hodgepodge of different graphics, combined and touched up.

I don't get why Unholy Cathedral, which should have the most awesome graphic on the map, is just a blob of lava.

Old Post 01-05-12 21:34 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Actually, much of the cathedral's obscured by text and that big red arrow.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f1e2b51d6dfee5cb741705a7cc54c43d8db26041a7982cbdedf7114c9772beb84g.jpg

Old Post 01-06-12 00:11 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

GreyGhost said:
Heh at the cacodemon burial ground, I'd forgotten about that.

That must have been one Hell of a big cacodemon. Maybe it lost the fight for the sovereignty of Inferno to the Spider Mastermind? I can somehow see this happening, with the cheap hitscan damage, large area and low pain threshold....

Old Post 01-06-12 00:35 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

It seems like the arrows and splats for Mt. Erebus and the Unholy cathedral were meant to be swapped. The map graphics would be more appropriate for the levels if they were.

Old Post 01-06-12 00:38 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

GreyGhost said:
Actually, much of the cathedral's obscured by text and that big red arrow.
If you mean that tower, that's Dis.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4696/thisisdis.png

Old Post 01-06-12 01:50 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

i would like to see someone make a giant cacodemon boss sprite to be fought in a vast hell desert. perhaps it's made up of a bunch of dead cacos, sort of like this dude.

Old Post 01-06-12 06:38 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

Awesome artwork - still love it.
Colors, shading - great style overall.

Old Post 01-06-12 12:45 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dlawrence
Warming Up

Most of the intermission maps seem to be just nine random structures. Perhaps that's why they did away with them for Ep 4 and Doom II. I personally thought they were cool regardless, and missed their absence.

Old Post 01-06-12 12:56 #
dlawrence is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

dlawrence said:
Most of the intermission maps seem to be just nine random structures. Perhaps that's why they did away with them for Ep 4 and Doom II.

Not only that, but they also rely on a bunch of hacks, hardcoded values and special rules (e.g. the Fortress Of Mystery and Tower of Babel) and require extra artwork to animate, so it would be admittedly be a PITA to create a proper 4th episode intermission screen.

It was one of those things that you either do fully and well (as in the first 3 Episodes) or not at all.

Old Post 01-06-12 13:03 #
dlawrence
Warming Up

Yes, I remember now that all the map names for these screens were actual graphics, and cutting the letters out to make custom ones for my own WADs.

It would be pretty sweet if someone made a really nice, authentic looking Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map, even if it would be missing the "you are here" arrow. I'd -file it.

Old Post 01-06-12 13:15 #
dlawrence is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

dlawrence said:

It would be pretty sweet if someone made a really nice, authentic looking Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map, even if it would be missing the "you are here" arrow. I'd -file it.

Actually, someone did make an intermission map for Thy Flesh Consumed. Unfortunately, it looks like Earth, so it's mundane. Considering E4's overall grim atmosphere, the default twisted INTERPIC faces are much better. It's also the fact that you can no longer see your progress, which works wonders for any final game episode.

Old Post 01-06-12 15:41 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

That's one of the things I didn't like about Doom II: no cool intermission screens.

Old Post 01-06-12 17:22 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Yeah, I understand it wouldn't have been feasible, but no intermissions screens is one of the most disappointing things about E4/Doom 2. I was genuinely upset when I got to E4 for the first time, and I was hoping it was just a glitch or something.

printz said:
It's also the fact that you can no longer see your progress, which works wonders for any final game episode.
More like makes it feel more thrown together. Don't get me wrong, E4 is one of my favorites, but I don't agree with you at all.

Old Post 01-06-12 18:22 #
qoncept

Since I usually play multiplayer coop almost exclusively, I hardly ever saw the screens anyway. Someone is going to push 'fire' before you have a chance to see your stats or the map.

Old Post 01-06-12 18:34 #
qoncept is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

hex11 said:
That's one of the things I didn't like about Doom II: no cool intermission screens.

They were essentially a one-time gimmick: there was no scripting or particularly clean/reusable system behind them (at least not anymore clean/reusable than any of the other subsystems).

To make an intermission screen "the way id did" you need to define a big background graphic, a varying amount of animated tiles (with animation info), the location of said tiles, and the locations of the splats. Plus, intermission screens only work in subdivisions of episodes with 9 missions, and "understand" only 3 episodes.

Today it may seem like a trivial task: "Throw a script/XML file at it!" but the Code of Doom this is all done with hardcodings. I'm not sure if DEHACKED allowed altering the intermissions screens to some degree.

Old Post 01-06-12 18:38 #
_bruce_

hex11 said:

A BIG letdown.

Old Post 01-06-12 18:47 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular

hex11 said:

instead, we got some text for a story. i still found the story interesting, back then. likewise i read the story of evilution and plutonia like it was important to my progress in the game, and the lack of a proper gatekeeper disappointed me. but some more pics in the style of the one with the rabbit would have been better than a wall of text (doomguy holding the bloody head of an imp)

Csonicgo said:
A better question: has anyone made a map based on the small representations of maps on that screen?

now that's really a nice idea for a 9 map episode.

Old Post 01-10-12 03:38 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cell

Pirx said:
now that's really a nice idea for a 9 map episode.

But admit it, hardly realisable. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Old Post 01-10-12 17:18 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

Cell said:

But admit it, hardly realisable. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Definitely wrong. Take a look at any modern mapset and tell me that there's not one person who could pull it off.

Old Post 01-10-12 17:44 #
Pirx
Forum Regular

Marcaek said:

Definitely wrong. Take a look at any modern mapset and tell me that there's not one person who could pull it off.

i see one castle-like building, one tower reminding of sauron's, one prison-like fort, one kind of chapel, some rocks in the desert... definitely nothing unusual. the most challenging parts would be the buried huge caco und the skull building.

Old Post 01-10-12 18:05 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cell

Marcaek said:

Actually I've said "hardly", not "not".

And I do know that there are quite a lot of well-scripted GZDooM+ and Skulltag based, gorgeous and realistic maps in the eternity, but none of them is a concrete representative of any of the buildings, that's the point.

Old Post 01-10-12 18:36 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote